iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extra brisket???

Started by AZ_builder, March 10, 2019, 08:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZ_builder

I bought a whole packer brisket today so I could get in brining for next Sunday's dinner (st.patty day) I prefer to corn them myself. I had an extra 4lbs or so that wouldn't fit in my brine tub so I got it on the smoker at 6:30 this morning. Rubbed up nice and pretty, about 9 hours cooked. Now it's resting on the gas grill while I finish up the taters, bacon grease green beans, and canned bush's Beans! I love those beans, haven't been able to reproduce them homemade! Mesquite and pecan smoke on the brisket. Should be a decent supper :-)

AZ_builder

AZ_builder

Wooooo!! I watched Jeff's video on posting pictures, only took me two times to get it!! 

Raider Bill

I bought 3 corned packers Saturday. Gave one to Wild Bill, Will pressure cook one Sunday for St Pats day, left overs get food saved. The 3rd one will get rubbed, smoked and become pastrami.

What do you use in your corning solution?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

AZ_builder

It's pretty basic, kosher salt, brown sugar, white sugar, garlic powder, pickling seasoning (ball brand from Walmart) and pink salt. 

Raider Bill

Thx bout the same as mine. :) :)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

Saw the title of this thread and had to come see who had lost their cottonpickin' mind! Thankfully you had a valid explanation for what appeared to be a travesty. :D :D  Having too much brisket is a problem I haven't personally experienced but I'm glad to see a good solution in case I ever do. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

petefrom bearswamp

How long do you brine your corned meat?
I do my venison for 8-10 days turning  daily.
recipe is for 6 pounds of meat, I modified it for 35 pounds in 2017
1 1/4 cup salt, 6 tbsp pickling spices, 2 tbsp saltpeter, tsp[ sugar, 1 quart cold water, 2-3 large onions OR 12 cloves garlic if desired.
I cover it with a trash bag while brining.
Had trouble finding saltpeter that year because of the use in making black powder, found it in an Amish store.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

AZ_builder

I prefer to go 12-14 days and I will when I brine game meats. However, I got busy and forgot about it this time so it's only gonna be in 7 days. It should be enough I'm hoping. Salt peter is similar to or the same as Prague powder (pink salt) correct? I bought 10lbs a few years back and still have about 6lbs left. It lasts a good while.

AZ_builder

So tonight was supposed to be extra, extra brisket! But she informed me it's national pancake day! I love the cakes. So tomorrow will be extra, extra brisket day! Gonna make a hash with meat, onions, corn, green chili, and corn. Side of beans and a few warm tortillas. Can't wait!

WV Sawmiller

Good looking brisket. You mention corning recipes. Attached is the one I use. I usually triple and do about 15 lbs of venison at a time. I use the backstraps, tenderloin, brisket and choice cuts off the hams. I keep it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket in the reefer downstairs. I put a heavy stoneware plate on top to keep all the meat under water during processing. It is a pretty simple recipe and we like it.

The hard part to find is the Quick Cure. You can order it on line if you don't have a good Amish store near by. I get mine from a sporting goods type store at a flea market off exit 73A off I-77 in NC on my way to and from visiting the daughter, SIL and grandkids in Charlotte NC.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

AZ_builder

I've never used quick cure, how is it compared to the salt peter mentioned earlier or the Prague powder I use?

petefrom bearswamp

Saltpeter makes the finished product nice and red.
Prague powder is entirely different.
 I use buck necks as doe necks are too dainty.
After 8 hrs or so in the crock pot the meat falls off the bones.
BTW the 35 pounds of necks I did 2 yrs ago were from 3 nice bucks.
No I didnt shoot all of them, in fact I didnt get one that year.
Thank goodness for a friend, son and grandson.
Didnt do any this year.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

I have never used Saltpeter but I think that it (Sodium nitrate) is the active ingredient in Quick Cure although it does have seem to have some sodium nitrite and salt and other spices and such. It does turn the meat red.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!