iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Build - Chain Slabber & 90deg Circle on the same tracks

Started by pitotshock, December 31, 2009, 08:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJB

Yup, that has been know to happen lol  I am building a second mill a lot like pitotshocks so I am trying to find out what works and what doesnt.

TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

pitotshock

No, you heard right, 5 hours of work, 25 minutes of actual saw blade making chips and 4.5 hours of

• take the tractor get a log off the wagon with the log tongs and place it onto the mill
  • look to find the 6x6 inside it, turn it a few times
  • turning the logs for each cut
  • redogging the log down
  • adjust the blade height
  • restart the engine make the cut
  • then move the cant and put it on the truck

This was the first time sawmilling and the first time for me even to be around a sawmill. Definately a learning curve thing here. The last log went a lot quicker than the first one did.

Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

TJB

That sounds good pitotshock, you did a great job on the mill!!!  I have been around mills and chainsaws my whole life and you sould have seen me on the first log, nothing wanted to go right.  Thanks for the info

TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

okie

As  time goes on and your experience level grows, you will learn tricks to cut your grunt work time down considerably. You will also learn tricks that will save you several hundred steps/ day and that will equate to more lumber.
I too am impressed with your success on your first sawing experience. good job. 8)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

okie

Hey, I wanted to say something in regards to your 90 deg saw blades you are making yourself. It looks like you are making swingmill / MD style blades, and since youre obviously quite handy, you would be miles ahead if you made the blades insert tooth rather than brazed in style. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Hilltop366

You got a good start Pitot, like I have said before I spend way more time messing with the log and setting up for a cut than cutting. things should smooth out a bit (you may also find yourself looking at lots of hyd. pics and videos soon) as far as the lack of bar oil and being on the edge of the limits for a single belt it all sounds very fimiliar to me. The 10° cut chain may not garb as bad as standard cut chain and I also found that a hand crank feed allows me to keep a smoother feed rate which helps from the cycle of over feeding and then backing off to let the engine recover, makes it a lot eaiser on gear.

I got a idea that when you get the other saw head rigged up and working good you may not use the csm very often.

jdrum

for the csm, have you looked into the belts that they use on bikes?
that or go with chain drive.

jim

okie

I've wondered about the bike belts too. I think the main reason for belt drive is that it is easier and cheaper to replace smoked belts than sheared engine components. ???

pitotshock

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 26, 2010, 11:01:46 AM
I got a idea that when you get the other saw head rigged up and working good you may not use the csm very often.

I have the same feeling, but I still think it will be the powerhead of choice when I need to make a post or beam. I don't see myself cutting too many wide slabs for woodworking

As for the motorcycle belts or chains, the electric clutch I am using (which is really handy!)  from the lawnmower has an integral pulley and moving over to something else would require a different design. My suggestion for others would be to use an industrial 2 belt centrifugal clutch, or put the engine on a pivot and use the belts as a clutch, but still have 2 belts to take the hp. Otherwise you will have to reduce your speed of feed to keep the belt alive.

pitotshock

Hey guys, in case you are wondering, I am still alive and well; the circular saw is still a go; I just own a horse farm and the summers around here don't leave any time to spare. So where I left off in March, is exactly where the project has stayed.

I plan on getting going again in the next month or so and hopefully get this thing done so I can get to cutting this fall/winter.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before I start posting some updates again...

fishpharmer

PS, glad your back, I was just wondering about your whereabouts the other day.  I look forward to your posts.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Hilltop366

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 15, 2010, 09:04:38 PM
PS, glad your back, I was just wondering about your whereabouts the other day.  I look forward to your posts.

Me too

Tim

I'm about a half hour up the road from you pilotshock. I'll trade you tours. Show me yours and I'll show you mine. I'll even throw in some bedding for your horses. :)
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

pitotshock

Tim
QuoteShow me yours and I'll show you mine. I'll even throw in some bedding for your horses

Now that sounds like a plan, although mine still looks like a pile of parts...

and how did you know horses go through a pile of bedding?  :D

hobbytrucker1966

great looking mill mine has a 16 hp b&s with a 20 inch bar its setup pretty simple have fun and keep your fingers safe
fourth generation sawyer with all my fingers

fishingmike

I would like to hear more about this mill! How has it been coming along?

pitotshock

Not too much to update here. The circle mill is still in the same spot I left it a couple of years ago - half built. The big problem is the job I needed it for got done by a mobile Woodmiser so the big push is off and I have 1,000 other projects around the farm that are higher priority... Ah such is life.

I still do plan on finishing this project in a few years, as I hope to buy a bush lot in the next couple of years and build a small cabin out of local materials.

The journey getting there is more important than the destination.

kguger

Hey,

First post - And let me start with a big Forestry Forum Plug!   This site is awesome.   I found pitotshock with a " 'two blade' sawmill" search.  And with a little browsing I've also found pineywoods solar kiln with planmans additions (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50281.0) and a log cabin thread to boot.    Every half baked idea that's bouncing around in the back of head is already here with pictures. 

And the reason I'm posting:
Pitotshock:   You're sketch of the 2 blade saw mill looks like a cad.  Could  you post the file?  I'm building one this spring and that's what I have pictured in my head already.   I'll post back any changes  / progress so you can see my mistakes for when you get back to yours. 

Kg

5quarter

Kguger...welcome to paradise... ;) Pitotshock is building one heck of a saw. He needs to dust it off and get back to work on it.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

pitotshock

Anybody remember this old post? Hah!

Well after sitting for 6 years in the back corner of the shop, I'm going to try and complete the 90 degree circular saw build this winter. I layed out all the parts tonight and tried to make sense of all of the stuff.

Has it really been almost 6 years?

Hilltop366

KS saw guy

Pitotshock,
                   Wondering if you would want to share some measurements with a guy just starting out.

KS saw guy

Pitotshock, can you please recommend a good source for the type of sprocket you used?

Thank You Sponsors!