iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Largest Wood Sign to Date - step by step pics from raw board to completed sign

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, December 27, 2013, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ET

BB, you got that mastered. Im still printing letters on plain white paper and use spray glue to attach to sign boards then router out with one of those expensive half size routers that your hand fits nicely around.  An awful lot of work; thanks for sharing!  Wonderful job!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: Warbird on December 28, 2013, 05:36:19 PM
Wow!   :o  It's beautiful!  Absolutely stunning.

How heavy is that thing?  I'm wondering what shipping cost would be like to Alaska on something like that.  One of my best friends is a forester and something like that would make an awesome birthday gift.

Warbird

I did not weigh it, but I am going to guess it was less than 20 pounds. Eastern Red cedar is not very heavy.

Don't know how big a sign you want, but the USPS has those flat rate game board boxes that can take a 24 inch x 14 inch sign, regardless of weight and send it anywhere in the USA of about $16.50 with 2 to 3 day service to boot. Have done quite a few that fit in that box.  Makes shipping pretty reasonable for a sign of that size.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thanks again all for the nice words. I really do enjoy doing those signs. Would be more then happy to be doing about 10 of those a week when I retire in a few years.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Martha White Nelson

Martha

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

nmericle53

Wow! That sign is beautiful. I am new and want to learn as much as I can. I have a scroll saw but haven't had the time to play. My husband builds and I do the finishing . We work together well. Just wanted to post and let you know it is a work of art and you did an awesome job.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Busy Beaver Lumber

nmericle53

A pleasure to meet you and thank you so much for your kind words.

You and hubby sound like you have a tremendous amount in common with my wife and I. We are both pretty good at generating sawdust ( about 30 gallons a week just from out home based workshop ). And like you, we work well side by side on many projects and each have our areas of specialization.

She loves to turn smaller items on the lathe such as ice cream scoops, pens, and duck calls. Here she is at a craft show with all the items she made herself. I just do the wood glue ups for her. She does all the rest.

I prefer the CNC machine, turning bowls, making cutting boards, and designing cleaver wood blank glue ups that we sell on our website and on ebay and have done so since 2003.

I have done a fair amount of scroll sawing in my life. Don't do much of it in the past 5 years since it is hard for me to control the wood with the limited use in my left arm and hand ( auto accident related).

If you like fretwork, then you ought to see what you can do with a piece of wood and a laser beam. We just bought and Epilog laser engraver/ cutter and you would not believe the details it can engrave into and cut into thinner pieces of wood, and the speed that it can do it with. Here is a recent engraving we did as soon as we got the machine home. It took less than 2 minutes to do a 3 x 5 inch image. We have since made this image a bit smaller ( business card size) and added magnetic backs to them. Our intent is to give them out as memo holding or refrigerator magnets to our new customers when we get them.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Phorester

Very nice work.  As far as using CNC instead of traditional carving, most of us tend to get beat up in accidents as we go through life.  You have to adjust what you can do after an accident or serious illness. You are lucky that you didn't let yours slow you down; you can still do what you like to do, and do it with style.

justallan1

Beautiful work BBL. You have a great thing going for you and your good at it.

Allan

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thank you Allan and Phorester.

I really enjoy the high tech wood working tools. I am having a blast with the laser engraver...that is when customers are not tying it up with their want and desires.

I went from no customers for laser engraving in week three of December to the point where i am now engraving 8 hours a week in Mid January. Is not taking things long to get going. Just picked up a job last night engraving 40 cutting boards and am laser engraving 50 leather bracelets Friday night.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Very true Magicman

TheCfarm - It is great when a plan at least goes close to what you anticipate. This plan is exceeding my expectations by leaps and bounds. I have not spent a cent on advertising and already the phone is ringing about every third day or so with new opportunities. It is a very versatile machine.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thank you Chuck. I really enjoy doing the signs and see them come to life and absolutely love working in ERC. Those boards there are from cedarman, just to give credit where credit is due. About a year and a half ago, I sent one of my part time employees down to Cedar USA and bought 2000 bf of ERC off Richard. I use most of it on our signs and turning projects, and do sell a bit here and there to the locals. Real nice wood to work with and with colors that you cant find in lots of other species.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

blackfoot griz

Very impressive work BBL.

Could you route individual boards then ship allowing the end customer to glue up and finish them?  That could get around a lot of the shipping issues.

jueston

i think the issue would be getting perfect alignment, even with dowels or dominos, it might not line up perfectly....

Busy Beaver Lumber

Blackfoot and Jueston.

What you suggest would not be impossible, provided the party ordering the item was agreeable to doing a glue up once they got it.  It would be easy enough to use dowels to pin the boards together and clamp it down well to the CNC table bed, route the sign, seperate the boards and do all the finishing steps, and then box them up with dowels for re-assembly. Just have not had any requests to do something like that yet.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

1woodguy

Nice looking work!

I made a lot of signs in the eightys by hand

Would have to go high tec tools now
my eyes see crooked :) and the older joints nerves don't work as well

My hand carving went to routers and bits with a little chisel work to make it look hand carved for the purests
And it cut way down on the time

A cnc and or lazer I have have thought about
Can you make and add your own designs?

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Busy Beaver Lumber

1woodguy

Pretty much in the same boat as you. Have nerve damage and muscle damage due to bad auto wreck. I used to be fairly decent hand routing signs but now i cant control router freehand worth a darn.

With both CNC and laser you can pretty much engrave any images and designs. You can create your own images as you wish. In fact I do it all the time.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Thank You Sponsors!