iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 55 value

Started by Restoman, September 02, 2009, 11:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restoman

Just to prime everyone, this is a Husqvarna 55 I am looking to purchase from a private seller.  I do not know what to offer.  What would you offer and why?

Edit, pictures just aren't going to work on here, 45K?

What they say:
Yes it starts on the first pull. About 2 or 3 months ago we put it in the shop had a new 18 inch bar & chain put on it, a new clutch installed & just had it looked over real good.  The only thing it has been used to cut is tree limbs that would fall in our yard.  It has oonly been used like 2 times since we got all the new stuff done to it.

This is craigslist here and they are most likely fibbing about a good bit of what's said.  The bar and chain is an Oregon setup.  The handguard looks like it got in a fight with another saw.   

What years were these made?

Restoman

I'm more than happy to email the pictures directly to anyone willing to review them.

cheyenne

Evidently you don't know to much about saws. So my advise is find a good dealer and ask him to guide you in your purchase. Tell him what your needs are and what your usage will entail. Any good dealer will have a number of used saws on hand. Buying used saws is a fools paradise if you don't know what your doing & have the ability & tools to fix a pig in a poke........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Restoman

Quote from: cheyenne on September 03, 2009, 12:16:18 AM
Evidently you don't know to much about saws. So my advise is find a good dealer and ask him to guide you in your purchase. Tell him what your needs are and what your usage will entail. Any good dealer will have a number of used saws on hand. Buying used saws is a fools paradise if you don't know what your doing & have the ability & tools to fix a pig in a poke........Cheyenne

I thank you for your advice, but the dealers here are the big box dealers and a few places that sell Stihl.  The Stihl dealers insist that they do not get used equipment.  I can fix just about anything, a saw is not that hard to work on. 

Glenn

why would you say he doesn"t know much about saws ys just because he asked an honest question about a particular model   you didn"t answer his question but just suggested he didn"t know anything    get over yourself

RSteiner

On my older Husky's there is a serial number plate that also has the year the saw was made, they did thid in 1997 anyway.  The serial number should offer some help in determining the age of the saw. 

What does the saw look like under the top cover, does the air filter look clean, is there a lot of saw dust around the carb and cooling fins on the cylinder head.  That will give you a clue as to how well the saw was taken care of.  The condition of the outside of the saw with bumps and dings can also tell you if the owner respected the saw or just threw it in the back of the truck.

Years ago when I had a saw at the shop wondering about the condition of the saw the mechanic started the saw with the air filter off.  He would watch the air intake of the saw when he rev'ed it.  There was a mist of air and fuel blowing out of the intake which he told me was caused by blow by meaning the rings or cylinder walls were not in the best of shape.

You can still buy the Rancher which I think is a 55 cc saw.  A friend got one back in Feburary for around $375.00 with an 18" bar.  If the owner can not tell you exactly how old the saw is or is the second owner you may not want the saw or you may not want to offer him too much for it.  The one thing I worry about is what they used for 2-cycle oil and how long they kept the mixed fuel around before using it in the saw. 

Randy
Randy

Hilltop366

What Randy said + compression test at full throttle (not sure what results should be for that saw)
and also wondering how many hours it takes to wear out a clutch (my dolmar is 20 years old with about 5-6 cords/year cutting down limbing and blocking and other work the clutch is still working fine) in 6-7 years (in the 80's) of repairing saws I can't remember changing a clutch so I would think the first owners must heve used it a lot more than a few times or it failed for some other reason.

Restoman

To answer a couple of questions:

The id plate is visible in the pictures, but cannot be read even at full zoom.  The clutch was probably replaced due to rusting.  A saw that would sit useless in these parts of the country for a good amount of time will rust to the point the clutch will not work perfectly.  Cosmetics do not bother me the least.  As long as the body is not cracked and the saw will run when I test it everything should be good.  I've heard these 55's can be a bear to start so I know that.  Is there any reason to steer clear from a 55?  I have a comp tester for my automotive stuff.  I guess I need to see if it will fit my Husq blower and edger.  Is there a technique to compression testing on a saw?   Thanks guys.

jteneyck

I have a 55, and you can see my posts below "Husqy 55 won't start" for some issues I've had with it.  That being said, the 55 is a good saw, starts easily for me, and runs great with pretty good power for its size.  Mine likes to gobble chain oil unless I use pretty thick stuff in it; it doesn't have an adjustable oiler.  You can find the service manual on-line, which will tell you how to run a compression test if you have a compressor, gage, and fittings.

Some things I'd look for before buying a used one:
* Do a compression test, if you can.  Otherwise, do a drop test - see comments in my entry on how to do it.  If you suspect a problem, pull off the muffler and look at the piston.  I'm told that 55's like to run hot, which results in the outlet side of the piston getting scored.  You can see this easily once you pull off the muffler.  You'll see rough, verical lines on the side of the piston, and maybe a rough or ragged edge at the crown.  If it looks smooth and shiny then it's OK. 
* Check how smoothly the chain runs on the bar when you pull it around manually.  If it seems like it's hitting "high" spots, and they appear to be about the same distance apart, then the crank shaft might be bent. 
* Is the air filter covered with oil?  If it is then there's probably blow back from a worn piston.

How much is a used one worth?  Anything more than half of a comparable new one seems high to me, unless it looks nearly new and everything checks out perfectly.  Good luck.

stonebroke

I bought one two years ago with a new piston and cyl. for 225$ A rebuilt saw in other words. I like it. Also had a new bar and chain.

Stonebroke

Restoman

cool guys, I read the 55 won't start thread too.  I asked the seller to shoot me a price, so we will see what they want.  50-120 depending on what's going on with the saw.  I'd prefer one that doesn't need work so.. we shall see.  Thanks for the bit about pulling the muffler off. 

Restoman

ahahahahhahahhahaahh  $250   :D That's rich.    I told'em 120 is my highest and that's after passing my inspection.

mud

I payed less than that for my 044!
and a few splitting mauls

Restoman

She was king enough to respond to my ad so I thanked her anyway, she knows where to find me.

ladylake

$150  to $175 if in good shape.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

teddy

If you are, or are not familiar with saws! A husky 55 is a nice saw! For having mine for over 7 years! It has cut a lot of firewood!!!!!
I am not a husky or Stihl die-hard. Just a person that needs a saw to do the job! Some say that the pistons score easy, just use good gas and good mix.
Like Steve said, 150-175 is a good price if it is in good shape!
Me personally, I have been burned by my local saw shops. I just had to learn how to tear then down!(just like learning how to use them to cut!!!!!) Plus parts are still easy to find. Check Baileys online.
Matt

GASoline71

Quote from: Glenn on September 03, 2009, 05:50:01 AM
why would you say he doesn"t know much about saws ys just because he asked an honest question about a particular model   you didn"t answer his question but just suggested he didn"t know anything    get over yourself

I didn't get that from Cheyenne's post... He was merely stating that it seemed the OP was not to keen on saws.  I kinda assumed the same thing from the original post.  I think you kinda jumped the gun a little thinkin' he was slammin' the guy.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Restoman

So today I had no choice but to go pick up a saw that didn't run.  A guy responded to my CL ad offering a Poulan Woodshark 14" saw that ran once and never again.  I denied him, but last night before the LSU game started I heard a loud crack, swosh, and slam. 7-8" dia limb decided it didn't like being in my pecan tree anymore.  A little seafoam and priming the little sucker fired up and went to work.  After an hour with this saw I got out the axe and made more progress.  This was a huge reminder as to why I want a Semi-Pro saw.  $25 wasn't bad, but it's most likely going back up on CL. 

Rocky_J

An hour cutting up an 8" limb? Sorry, but that tells me that the problem is a dull chain (untrained operator). It's really difficult to tell people this and I still haven't figured out how to do it without offending most, but it is almost unheard of for ANY person to be able to operate a chainsaw safely and productively without either training and/or at least a year's experience. I don't think I've ever met anybody with less than 5 years experience that knew how to use a file. You could buy the most expensive chainsaw on the market and would still be unable to cut much with it after an hour of use until you get some training.

An 8" limb is about a 5 minute job to cut up. Unless your chain is dull. An untrained operator can dull a chain in one cut.

The Husky 55 is a good medium size saw for medium duty use. I got one this summer from a landscaper that burned it up in 5 tanks of fuel, dropped a new piston and cylinder on it and gave it to a buddy. His crew is using it for a ground saw in his tree business and it's working fine for them.

teddy

Be nice!

every one is at a different pace!

But I recommend a Stihl training video, chaps, HEAVY leather gloves and a helmet with face shield!

I was there once, KINDA still am!!!!!!

Matt

RSteiner

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 06, 2009, 09:08:26 PM
It's really difficult to tell people this and I still haven't figured out how to do it without offending most, but it is almost unheard of for ANY person to be able to operate a chainsaw safely and productively without either training and/or at least a year's experience. I don't think I've ever met anybody with less than 5 years experience that knew how to use a file.

I remember back to when I purchased my first chainsaw after using a Wright reciprocating blade saw for a couple of years.  Everything was going good with the new chainsaw until I hit a piece of old barbed wire in a tree I was bucking up for firewood.  So I think how hard can it be to file a chain?  Well, after many attemps to sharpen that chain I was ready to give the saw away, it wouldn't cut straight and at times wouldn't cut at all.

I must admit it took me several years to be able to sharpen a chain so that it would cut like new, and even now after 35 years of trying if I don't take my time I can still make a chain cut poorly. 

Randy
Randy

SwampDonkey

Had one here for 8 years, not used a lot. Mostly used to limb yard trees and buck up windfalls. Have used it to saw up quite  bit of firewood the first couple of years I owned it. It's a reliable saw. Cost $450 CDN at the local shop new.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Restoman

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 06, 2009, 09:08:26 PM
An hour cutting up an 8" limb? Sorry, but that tells me that the problem is a dull chain (untrained operator). It's really difficult to tell people this and I still haven't figured out how to do it without offending most, but it is almost unheard of for ANY person to be able to operate a chainsaw safely and productively without either training and/or at least a year's experience. I don't think I've ever met anybody with less than 5 years experience that knew how to use a file. You could buy the most expensive chainsaw on the market and would still be unable to cut much with it after an hour of use until you get some training.

An 8" limb is about a 5 minute job to cut up. Unless your chain is dull. An untrained operator can dull a chain in one cut.

The Husky 55 is a good medium size saw for medium duty use. I got one this summer from a landscaper that burned it up in 5 tanks of fuel, dropped a new piston and cylinder on it and gave it to a buddy. His crew is using it for a ground saw in his tree business and it's working fine for them.

Well start teaching us O Great one!  The blade was dull to begin with from the previous owner. The saw was used to cut all of the branches up to 1.5".  So the saw maybe had 15 of cutting on it.  All the larger limbs had an axe taken to them.  A woodshark is a disposable saw sold by Walmart.  When I get the saw I want things will be much better.     

Rocky_J

Again, an untrained operator can dull a chain in one cut. Your refusal to sharpen the chain is not the saw's fault. Buy whatever saw you like, and by the 4th or 5th cut it will be just as dull and worthless as that Crapsman. Then who are you going to blame?

Sharpening the chain is not 'major service', it's basic maintenance that should be as common as putting proper mix fuel in the tank and cleaning the air filter once in a while. The fact that you bought a used saw with a dull chain is not uncommon. The fact that you tried to use it without sharpening the chain and now blame the saw for not cutting is laughable.

Restoman

These are beginning to sound like personal attacks.  I'm not blaming the saw.  I refuse to sharpen the blade on a saw that will not start reliably.  I know it would have been quicker to have sharpened the chain than it took to get it started first time.  I don't have a file for this size chain.  Let it go man.

Thank You Sponsors!