iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Corn Season!

Started by Norm, July 17, 2010, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I hope ya had some this time to.  I did.  ;D Phish's catfish supper was mighty fine vitals to, I noticed you enjoying them also.  :)

Patty and Norm, I was looking for ya's, but alas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

You all ate the catfish's vitals too   ??? ???   ::) ::)

I don't know about that....... :o :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I was ready to eat. :D :D

WDH

Marcel found out that catfish was not whitefish  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Did he actually think it was? I need to speak with that guy.  ;)

We have'm here, I only found them on one river system though. I hooked one about 6" or 8" inches long when I was about 14 years old. Was fishing for salmon.

Norm

Donk we would have loved to meet you in person but August is just about the busiest month of the year for us. I'd give you a list of things going on but why depress you and me! :D

Now I for one am bummed that no pictures of the catfish fry have shown up. I don't think there's many things I enjoy more than a deep fat fry of fish, chips and hush puppies.

Don_Papenburg

We are down to the last two rows of corn  :(   We did well this year , only one plot completly abandoned and one almost complete  the rest were all harvested in good time .  No more farm markets this year .    the corn made us enough to pay half the realestate taxes.  plus a lot of good eating.      We sold corn for $3.00 doz.,  a14ear dozen.  Made a lot of people happy.         I am thinking that next year I will only plant four rows to a plot .   The best ears were on the outside two rows  in every plot this year .  the best of the best were on the south two rows.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Wow! $3 is cheap, they want at least $6 here and sometimes 5 for $4 off season.

Norm

Way to go Don, that's a good harvest.

We gave most of ours away but was asking $4 a dozen. Most roadside stands have gone up to $6 and most I bought this year had earworms bad. All of the reports I got back was very good on this variety which was brocade. Next year I'll plant in 2 different batches 2 weeks apart.

bull

First sign of corn bore, ear worms ,and army worms......  ( organic ) corn is such a pain in the butt !!  I think all my corn will be sprayed next year !! although everything before today was awsome !!

Mooseherder

Quote from: Norm on August 13, 2010, 07:39:34 AM
Donk we would have loved to meet you in person but August is just about the busiest month of the year for us. I'd give you a list of things going on but why depress you and me! :D

Now I for one am bummed that no pictures of the catfish fry have shown up. I don't think there's many things I enjoy more than a deep fat fry of fish, chips and hush puppies.

Oh, there was some pictures. ;D

Don_Papenburg

We use liquid seven once a week or after every rain   .   I got a little lax towards the end  and had a few with worms .    DelMonte sprays every other day on their corn fields , they use harsher chemicals .  I seems that the worms get tougher as the season winds down.

Everybody that sells around here has been asking $4 or more  .   We did a bit of figering and came up with the $3 price  and it made us money .  we sold all that we thought was up  to our standards.    At some markets  the $3 price was the deal maker . People would come back after checking others corn.  on occasion I have had to shuck the corn to get the sale .
I have heard some ads on radio out of Chicago  Six ears ONLY $4.00 :(

bull

We sell At .75 cents an ear $ 7.50 a dozen !!! about time folks respect the value of food and the time and effort we farmers put in to produce the best available local food !!

Don_Papenburg

Bull do you live near a large metro area?    I am in the middle of farm country with many people growing their own.  I have had other farmer tell me that they are going to give up on trying to grow their own corn and buy from me .    I have been converting so many people to the real sweet corn from the bicolor stuff  many mistakenly call peaches and cream. 

Norm

It makes a difference for us too living in a rural area. Most folks have a half acre patch out back they put in when planting field corn. I used to grow bodacious for sale but folks think if it's not "peaches and cream" it's not a good sweet corn.

Patty reminded me yesterday we were so busy with it we didn't get a chance to put up any ourselves....thank goodness! :D

Kansas

Bodacious is a very good sweet corn. We planted that for several years. The last few years we have planted "Gotta have it" sweet corn from Gurneys. Thats an awesome sweet corn.

I probably shouldn't post this but can't help myself. Sweet corn is like sex. Its all great, some varieties are just a few degrees better.

Norm

ely

how many days does it takes to make sweet corn. i just planted my lower patch yesterday and trying to figgure the frost time out.

WDH

Ely,

If you keep making sexual innuendos like that, you are sure to end up in the Woodshed  :D :D.

sandhills

ely, in Nebraska we plant ours late April to early May for the first run and should get corn somewhere around mid July.  Planted some one year after the fourth of July for some late corn but it didn't quite make it :-\
                                                                                    sandhills

Norm

Every variety if different but most are 75-80 day unless you went with a short season one.

ely

this is g-90 sweetcorn i had left over from earlier in the season.

SwampDonkey

Not knowing much about corn, but a little bit about timothy grass, I would think the early stuff is better in that it's the peek of summer time. The season is on the last run down hill this late.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!