iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wandering blade

Started by randy r, March 03, 2013, 02:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy r

Hey all, I'm still just learning but have my mill running much better now after a motor tune up.  It's sawing real good now most of the time. However, Im evidently not doing something right.  If I get a log with several knots, sometimes I just can't get it to track properly no matter how many blades i try or what I do.  I've tried slowing down, tightening the blade, new belts, etc.  Yesterday I just had to give up on a knotty pine, and take it off the mill, yet, when I put on a yellow pine next, it flew right thru it.  What can I do?

GAB

Randy:
I had a similar problem and the suggestion I received was to check the blade for parallelism to the bed rails.
Sure enough my mill needed some adjusting.
Hope this helps you, but if not it is quick and inexpensive.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Happycamper

Some time ago I had a fellow with a mizer saw some pine for me and I ended up with boards like the ocean floor. He went way too fast especially when doing the pine plus I suspect perhaps his blade was not sharp. They were so bad I did not even attempt to plane them. My not knowing at the time why but now thanks to the forum I understand what was wrong.
                                           Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

woodmills1

If a sharp blade won't cut without waves it may be too little tension.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

randy r

Thanks all,  Leveling the blade and checking the drive belt tension is what they suggest at WM too.  I will give it a try and thanks again,
Randy

ladylake

What kind of guides, you need 1/4" downpressure on the roller or bearing type.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

slider

That sporty little tool that woodmizer sells is cheap and handy .For leveling the blade.
al glenn

dboyt

Big knots, sometimes you have to slow down, as the blade makes the transition from ripping to crosscutting through the knot.  A few thousands more set in the blade, and 7 degree hook angle help me with hardwoods.  Lots of info on blade geometry and cutting on the forum.  Pitch build-up on the blade also causes the blade to wander.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

John Bartley

..., set, set, set, set,set ..... etc.

When I first started milling I was doing knotty pine, and frozen to boot. Some of it was so big we had to trim it with the chain saw to get the mill head to pass over it. We also had wavy boards, and the ONLY thing that solved the problem was correct set.

My experience is this:

proper set and sharp - straight and fast cuts
proper set and dull - straight and slow slow cuts
wrong set and sharp - fast, but wavy cuts
wrong set and dull - slow and wavy cuts

Knotty woods need to have the set pushed out quite a bit. I set at about 0.021" for hardwood and up to 0.030" for pine, spruce and other knotty woods.

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

GDinMaine

Some time ago I was having trouble as well. Here is a link to the thread.  Lots of suggestions there too.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63923.0.html
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

customsawyer

I would also check my drive belt tension. If your belt is just a bit loose you might get some slippage in the belt.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!