iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Might be going back to work with my own company

Started by Mad Machinist, July 03, 2011, 07:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Machinist

Me and my big mouth may have written a check my body can't cash on this one.

As many here know, we here in AZ have loss nearly a million acres of forest land due the absolutley deplorable conditions of our forests here. One of my buddies works for the USFS and we got to talking about his problem on night over alot of beer. He asked me how these forests could be thinned out with the smallest imapct possible.

The biggest problem here is that these trees are mostly under 12". Alot of these areas are running around 700 trees per acre and they are talking about thinning this forest out to somewhere between 50-100 trees per acre. The environmental groups are having an absolute coronary over the prospect of having large equpment moved in due to the ground pressure and the possibility of large areas being tore up due to careless operation.

So we were talking and I presented him with my idea. Mount a harvester head on a small excavator, much like the gentlemen from NB did. With it's small size and lightweight it could get in and out of sensitive areas with minimal disturbance and still maintain something resembling production in small timber.

Since there are no small forwarders being made, put a set of tracks on one of the larger UTV's to bring the ground pressure under 1 lb per square inch and use a forwarding trailer (under 1.5 lbs per square inch with a full load)  to keep the timber off of the ground to negate the possibilty of the ground being tore up by dragging the logs out.

I realize that he UTV will get the crap beat out of it, but this is something to get in and out of sensitive areas.

My buddy asked me what I would charge for a contract and I told him $250,000 a year not thinking it would go anywhere. Well now I have to get a business plan and equipment qoutes together for him.

Autocar

Sounds like to me you may have a long term job  :D But can you make a living  getting $250,000 a year with insurance,fuel ,repairs ? But on the flip side it would be nice to have a long term contract.
Bill

chucker

!! to many unanswered questions floating in my head on this one!! trying to put a dollar value on a project like this without knowing how many acres are to be harvested/thinned.... not knowing how many unites of machinery or labor persons to do the job?? it sounds good fot the area that your in by size of the atv/utv forwarders!! enviros will have something to pitch about either way.... you are on to a good idea as for employment of many with manual laborers!!!!!creating manual labor jobs is a worth while endeavor...   best of luck to you!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Tom

You might consider putting some Horse loggers or Mule loggers to work, bringing the logs out on a trailer.  It would serve two purposes.  You would get the logs to the hill without compaction and too much damage; and it would be a difficult presentation for the environmental groups to attack.  Heck, they would probably all be out there wanting to pet the horses. You could build some bleachers on the hill and charge them a dime to watch. :D

That still leaves you with modern equipment to take down the trees and prepare the logs.  It also puts some other companies to work.  :)

Mad Machinist

The National Forests out here are going to be letting out 2.4 million acres to be thinned over the next 20 years.  During the Wallow fire, crews were removing about 50 tons per acre of fuel wood to save a few towns out here. There are areas that are approaching 100 tons.

The $250,000 dollar amount was just thrown out there because I really didn't believe anything was going to come of it. When the time actually comes to negatiate a contract the amount will be very different.

As far as manual labor, I do not plan on to much of it. Even with all of the slash being chipped, their shouldn't be a whole lot of hand work. At least once I figured out how to keep a chipper behind the excavator/harvester. The tops could then go right from the head to the chipper and be shredded on site for a fast breakdown to eliminate fuel wood for the forest fires. I had a bad experience with a chipper that almost cost me my life, so I REFUSE to let anyone load slash into a chipper by hand. THe bracnh ripped me open from my elbow to my wrist and *DanG near dragged me into the chipper.

I WILL keep the horses in mind. That thought was always in the back of my head. If this contract does go through it will require me to move and since my family loved horses it would be a double bonuses.

As for the enviro's, well, they got a real kick in the cajones over the Wallow and Horseshoe Two fires. Nearly 800,000 acres between the two of them. It is in Congress right now to eliminate National Forest thinning and logging from the whole NEPA process. So they are backing way off on this one.

The ATV/UTV thing may be out as I ran across an old Bombi here with a blown engine. Wonder if I could retrofit a small Perkins diesel?

Alot of the big boys are backing off of this proposal due to having to cleanup the undergrowth and downed trees. Too much time that cuts into the bottom line. And since most of this is small diameter timber (under 12"), production rates fall off. Most of this timber would be going for pulp wood or to the OSB mills and they really aren't paying crap right now. I figure I could turn maybe $350,000 a year by cutting this myself and selling it and maybe another $75,000 by cutting up the downed stuff for firewood. But firewood is such a hassle that I would rather go under contract to clean it up and let the USFS deal with the logistics of selling the pulpwood and the firewood.

The best part of this is that if this is actually managed right, once the whole thing is done, we get to start all over again. The last logging in this forest occured in the late '80's. This area also went through a hard burn in 2002 I think during the Chedeski-Rodeo fire, nearly 470,000 acres.  And here it is burning again less than ten years later.

Lots of work coming across the country, ladies and gentlemen. Make sure you gear up.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forum Mad Machinist.  Sounds like you have the makings of a good deal as long as you can think of all the contingencies you can.  How about combining old and new? a horse powered forwarding trailer? use a small diesel to power the hydraulics on the loader trailer, and maybe even a drive assist to the wheels, and you sit on a "driver" seat which doubles as a loader operater chair, and you can have a good team pull it around?  That would be kind of a cool thing, I think.  As far as a processor goes, the swedes have some really cool small processors that they use in the woods over there, that are really low impact.  Good luck with the process, I hope it pans out well for you, I think that the forest circus could use a healthy round of common sense in proper timberstand management all across the board, not just in AZ!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Mad Machinist

mad murdock,

I was raised by my grandparents and taught alot of commen sense. I also grew up along with alot of the Amish in Pennsylvania. What I am trying to get started isn't about money, it is all about people using their heads and commen sense.

For this idea, I am quite willing to walk away from a 6 figure a year salary to get this done. My wife told she she see my eyes literally light up any time I talk about this. I have an absloute and utter hatred and contempt for anything that has gone to the point of going big commercial for the simple fact of all they care about is the bottom line. If you really want to find someone who actually cares about the environment, then go talk to the little guy who depends on his actions to put food on the table for his wife and kids.

I forgot add earlier that this company will be owned by a disabled minority veteran. I am learning to play the system.

On a side note,I really hate trying to type on my new laptop. WAY too sensitive on the keyboard

mad murdock

I hear you loud and clear!  The best "environmentalists" IMO are the farmers, foresters, loggers, ranchers, etc. who make a living from the land, and are constantly looking for ways to pass their way of life to the next generation, without having to forfeit it to the gubment through death taxes or some other such scheme to separate the people from the land.  Nothing peeves me more that to see the demise of the family farm all across this great land, and in it's place today we have large "factory" farms, with illegal labor supporting the operation.  (probably said to much already for this open forum, will shut up about that now).  I really like your idea, and sincerley hope that it turns into something good for you, and your family.  It sounds like it could.  good luck with it!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kansas

Interesting thread. We have a guy that comes over to the mill and cuts firewood on the weekends sometimes. The old fashioned way, with hand saws. He teaches at K State University now, but he talks about his days working at a sawmill down in Arizona/New Mexico area often. He said logging was shut down by a secretary of the interior back when, in the 80's or 90's. Can't remember the name of that secretary now. Sounds like there was quite the sawmill industry back in the day. What kind of species are the trees you will be cutting? Seems like there were some hardwoods down there somewhere.

snowstorm

there was a article in timberharvesting mag. a while back.around lake tahoe. the contractor was running a valmet harvester and fowarder along with a chipper on one fowarder. he was paid a rate per acre plus the wood to thin. used gps to keep track of the acres thinned. it also said that he may be cutting on several different landowners in one day. it sounded like if you owned land there you had to be in the program. i have been to tahoe and saw all the signs saying you must mantain defenceable space around your house. if you dont the fire dept wont put the fire out they move on to the next  place that played by the rules.                                                                                    

snowstorm

you dont need an old bombi or a horse or mule....or a 100 of them. a cut to lenght harvester and fowarder. 12" wood is not a prob. if the brush needs to come out then cut the logs out load on the tops. low ground psi no skid trees

Rocky_Ranger

This is an interesting thread, and what it will take to come up with ideas to thin this 30,000 acres per year for the first contract (10 years).  I certainly won't "pooh-pooh" anybody's ideas as to how to approach this potential - Lord knows nobody has a hold on the answer to date......  Good luck with it Mad Machinist, and if I can help with info,  give me a call (send me a message for my number) at the A-S, or call the timber shop at the SO.
RETIRED!

Mad Machinist

The Bombi would be used to tow a small trailer with a loader on it. The plan is to keep the equipment small enough that it could be towed behind a F-550.

All of what would be cleared is ponderosa pine. To give an idea of what our forests here look like, check this out. This was a pilot project done several years ago.

http://fourforestrestorationinitiative.org/photos_video/4FRIposter.pdf

I was planning on shredding the slash where it was produced to help stabalize the soil until grass can start growing. Trying to come up with a way to do it productively is the thing.

Rocky_Ranger,

I will get ahold of you. I may need all the help I can get on this. And it's 50,000 acres a year now for the next 20 years.  With the possibility of more depending on the quality of work being done.  Going to take quite a few companies to cut 50,000 acres a year.

Mad Machinist

If I remember right, there was a BIG sawmill industry here back in the day. From what I was told there were dozens of mills and crews working this forest. There are so many logging roads through this forest from those days that I don't think anyone could travel them all.

barbender

I think with the volume you are talking about you are going to need some bigger equipment- a small processor and forwarder team. They are very low impact, and were designed for thinning softwood. I have seen Bombi- forwarder set ups on the web, and they look slick enough. But I don't think I'd want something cobbled up to work with day in day out.
Too many irons in the fire

Bobus2003

The small Harvesters on the small excavator is a sweet setup.. I have a Link Belt 1600 With Patu 410SH head, About 20K lbs, Can be moved on a F350 or F450 and 20K GN trailer with ease.. Works really well in the 12" timber you have.. I'm running mine in P-pine and it works really well even into the bigger trees.. just gotta watch for larger branches as they are hell on the heads.

A machine like this from Timber Pro would work well for what your saying As i heard they are being offered with a harvester head, followed by a Forwarder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cJSTkRb--0&feature=related

wesdor

Back in 1970 I had the good fortune to visit Charles Walters of Olla, Louisiana.  He was (in my opinion) a mechanical genius with little formal education beyond high school.  He was kind enough to get out his old 8mm movies and show me the evolution of mechanical harvesting on the Weyerhaueser Plantations in northern Louisiana.  Mr Walters was one of the forces behind this movement in the 50's and the first attempts were primitive at best. 
By 1970 they had developed a practice which seemed to work well for them and may be something that would be adaptable to your situation in Arizona.

This is all from memory 40 years ago so I hope I don't get any of the details too wrong.  Let's start with a forest that is over stocked.  I think you said 700 trees per acre.  They go in with a small harvesting machine which is much like a huge industrial combine.  Small trees are cut, de-limbed and put into a storage container attached to the machine.  When the container is full, they wood is banded together and dropped off. 

About 7 years later they come in with a larger machine and take out more of the trees.  Ultimately, you are left with a mature growth forest which is then clear cut.  They then seed the area by air and the process begin again.

As I said, this is all from 1970 so things may have changed, but it sounds somewhat similar to what you are trying to accomplish in Arizona. 

I like your goal of using everything possible and taking care of the earth. 

HuZzEy

if the bombi don't work out maybe a small tractor with Mattracks there saying 1.5psi with a 50hp tractor my snowmobile club had a set on a kubota m90 to pull the drag worked awsome and it was still the same width as the tires were

sjfarkas

Any thought to just mulching/masticating it all?  These are the types of projects I love.  Good luck to you.  Let us know how it goes. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Mad Machinist

I am now more confused that ever. Spent half the day on the phone with the AZ Dept. of Commerce and nobody can tell what licenses I need to operate or even if I need any licenses in the state of AZ to do this. They have a whole program dedicated to tax breaks under a Healthy Forest Initiative but other than that nobody knows anything else. And the website doesn't help much.

Will try agian on Thursday.

The Kubota on Matttracks sounds interesting.

Meadows Miller

Gday

First off welcome to The Forum Mad Machinist  ;) ;D 8) 8) I think this project is going to be an interesting one to follow  ;) they really need to restart the whole industry in that area from the sounds of it  :) :) ;)

Just going by the pictures in the flier they are going to a pretty wide spacing and if you are required to remove or chip everything from the trees that are cut Id go for a Feller Buncher followed up by a Grapple Skidder Then do your Processing ,sort and grading on the landing tops and anything that dose not make a sawlog/post log goes through a chipper and sold either garden mulch or fuel/wood pellet stock  ;) thats just My two bobs worth though Mate

Either way it looks to me that the volume per Ha and the piece count is going to be huge any way you look at it  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Mad Machinist

Yea there are alot of trees to remove. To my understanding they are going to 20 to 50 trees per acre from 300 to 700 per acre. I think is a little too much right off the bat, but that is me. I think the Forest Service here should leave 100 to 150 per acre and come back in five years to see how things are doing. Then they can make a decision on whether to remove the mature trees or the junveniles that are left.

Research has shown me that a Ponderosa Pine will live about 125  years before succumbing to something, whether rot, weather, or whatever. If some of the mature trees happened to get beaten up, then the area will look less than appealing.

Based on an 8 inch average diameter and an average of 450 trees removed per acre, there about an average of around 350 lbs total weigh for the entire tree, there should be around an average of 75 tons per acre of just standing biomass to be removed. Now according to reports during the Wallow fire, there was nearly 50 tons per acre of dead biomass and undergrowth being removed per acre. Add that to the previous 75 tons, and being conservative that would eqaul at least a 100 ton average. At my last check, biomass was $25 per ton, so this would equal about $2500 tons per acre of just biomass for a boiler somewhere. No timber value or post value was included in this.

The main problem is that there is absolutely no infrastructure left here in AZ thanks to the various environmenal groups here in the states. The one sawmill left in the area up there, now deals with recycling, so you can probably guess what happened to the equipment that was once there. And unless the chips for a biomas boiler or OSB plant go out by rail, (and as far as I know, there is no facilities here for this), all this gets either gets chipped for mulch or left to rot. This is a crying sham because if this is managed right, alot of people could go back to work for a long time.\

Unfortunately, here in the states, the environemntal groups will lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want. They have been told for years what would happen and they didn't believe us and now nearly a million acres across AZ have burnt. So my question to them is, is how do you like your precious spotted owl now, roasted, blackened, or smoked?

Bobus2003

Quote from: Mad Machinist on July 07, 2011, 12:39:00 AM
Yea there are alot of trees to remove. To my understanding they are going to 20 to 50 trees per acre from 300 to 700 per acre. I think is a little too much right off the bat, but that is me. I think the Forest Service here should leave 100 to 150 per acre and come back in five years to see how things are doing. Then they can make a decision on whether to remove the mature trees or the junveniles that are left.

USFS went in and did a Cut by my Parents Place where they went from a 30'-50' spacing to a 120'-140' spacing.. First good wind storm 50% of the remaining trees fell, and since with the wet winter and spring more have been falling down.. Went from being something great too look at to an ugly mess. It has almost become a 700 acre man-made meadow

Ianab

QuoteUSFS went in and did a Cut by my Parents Place where they went from a 30'-50' spacing to a 120'-140' spacing.. First good wind storm 50% of the remaining trees fell, and since with the wet winter and spring more have been falling down.. Went from being something great too look at to an ugly mess. It has almost become a 700 acre man-made meadow

For sure.

If you are thinning like that you need to do it early, before the trees get tall and spindly.  Suddenly taking an overgrown stand back to mature spacing is just asking for all sorts of problems with the next big windstorm. The area needs thinning, but it probably need to be done in stages to be successful.

Of course that complicates the job.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Mad Machinist

I had the priveledge of talking to Rocky_Ranger today. He is a forester here in the National Forest. He gave me a general rundown of the general requirements as far as equipment limitations. I CAN use a grapple skidder and CAN skid tree length. I just need to run chains to protect the tires due to rocky terrain. I never liked chains because of the damage they can do with a stupid operator, but tires ain't cheap. I guess I know what I am running. My brother is a better harvester operator than I am anyhow.

And there is alot more infrastructure here thatn I previously thought. There are sawmills and quite a few pellet mills for fuel. and the biggest one is a biomass power plant. So All I can say is game on ladies and gentlemen.

I can get into this dirt cheap and drive the guys working for me into the ground to make a buck, but I remember what it was like to be a feller and I really couldn't do that to anybody working for me. I am still going to go highly mechanized. I just can't purposely put people in the line of fire to make a buck.

I have contacted some banks and venture capital companies for funding to buy new equipment, so I am waiting for a response there. Considering the current economy, I think I have a better chance of hearing back from the venture capital companies.

Research has shown me that I should be better of going in as a subcontracter to the bigger companies bidding on this. I made a mistake in thinking none of the big boys would come in on this proposal due to minimal timber value. Little did I know that some of the big boys shifted to a biomass mentality. THAT won't happen again.

Starting a business is alot harder that I remember. So much red tape that I wonder why I am putting myself throught this grief. I ned some help and advice on how to make this profitable and still make sure my employees are safe and well paid.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sounds Like a goer  ;) ;D if your sub contracting to one off the companies make sure they are giving a good rate for the amount of work involved and the big boys are always interested in  deals like these their plan is to come in say they will take a huge volume for next to nothing if not be getting some govt kick back for getting involved then pay contractors next to nothing to do all the hard work  ;) How much are you looking at putting into gear for your operation if its not a rude question ?? with your Feller you would want a hot saw with an accumulator for the small stuff it looks like you would be harvesting ( a bar head will be slow in small stuff )  that way if you are doing segragated logs sawlog and chip you can bunch and accumulate different drags for the skidder ;)

There's afew other options too  ;) one is you could do intergrated sawlog and biomass and make a bit better return on the sawlog side of it if you have a buyer  ;) or you could put in a specialized small log sawmill and take everything from say a 4.5" dia up and process it into stuff like pallet grade lumber as there are 43 pallet companies listed in AZ on a google search i did then sell the biomass/pellet companies your waste in bulk  ;)
You have to ring low grade for every extra dollar you can get out of it to make money  that way your still taking a log that you would be getting payed bugger all for taking something off higher value out off it then getting the same for the biomass fuel ;) ;D I know just the machine for the job for under $150k turn key and you could have a mill that will pump out about 65 ton 27500bft sawn per shift + ;) PM me if your interested as Im keeping most of the details to myself on this one untill I get one ( or few ;) )here in Australia  there is some good gear out there you just have to know where to look and what you are looking for and at ;) Id even think of coming over there My self and setting up for a job like this  ;) I just lack the capital myself atm  Mate :) ;) :D

Regards Chris

Rocky_Ranger

Mad Machinist, I sent your contact information to Rufus this morning - maybe he'll contact you soon.
RETIRED!

Mad Machinist

Chris,

If this has anything to do with a scragg mill, ain't no way in bloody hell I want anything to do with it. My grandfather had one and it was a mankiller in more ways than one. If your talking about the WM system, then things could get interesting. I know alot is said about sapwood and it being reaction wood, but looking at some of the so called construction grade lumber here it really makes me wonder. I built an arch in a house I owned before i moved here to AZ, and needless to say I didn't have to bend any wood. I just looked through the pile and found two peices that were real close.

Rocky_Ranger,

Thank you again for your help. We'll see what happens here. I spoke to a venture capital company a little bit ago and I have the funding to get what I need. Did some homework on the players up there and I may have a chance at subbing on this.  I have a few feelers out.

I talked to my brother about this and we may just buy a grapple and be slaves for about 6 months so we can get this off the ground without owing anything to anybody. Just no sure how this beat up 37 year old body of mine is going to like running a saw 10 plus hours a day. He may be a better equipment operator than i am, but he can't touch me with a saw.   

Anyway, I off to see if the dirt i dug up today has any gold in it. How bad is that, I prospect to relax.

Cedarman

What about running the small logs through a portable doweling machine to make posts?  You sort the logs by size and change cutting heads as needed to make different size posts.  I think it can do 4 or 5 posts a minute.  Peelings, well , you would have a lot of them.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mad Machinist

Sorry for the absence everybody, but I have been busy working on this. After talking to my brother, I am developing a business plan that, unfortunately at this time, involves only the two of us in order to get equipmenet paid of as soon as possible. At this point it looks like we are going to buy a used grapple skidder and the two of us are going to work our butts off for the first year in order to build capital to buy equipment outright so we are not beholden to anybody.

The level of support i have received from the current logging comapnies here as well as the few sawmills here has been absolutely unbelievable. There has been no cold shoulders or doors slammed in my face. They have given me the encouragment I need to get this done. Some have even offered tentative contracts depending on my business plan.

I was invited to a meeting earlier this week concerning the Wallow Fire and the upcoming salvage sale. Current estimates are around 125,000 acres of salvage and nearly 1 billion board foot of lumber. Some of the trees destroyed in this fire are huge. 40+ inches in diameter.

Anyway, I need to get back to work.

Rocky_Ranger

Mad, were you there at the salvage meeting in Eagar town hall on Friday?  I was the one taking the call in the other room after rolling out the RAVG and salvage maps.
RETIRED!

Mad Machinist

No i wasn't, but there was a group of Forest Rangers that came down here to give us a rundown of what they are trying to do.  I have a map of the burn intensities so I was able to follow along on what they are proposing. Some of this is going ot be in pretty rough terrain.

Unfortunately, our watershed flows through some of what was burnt and the watershed has been utterly destroyed.  the Frisco River has been rendered devoid of life from the acidity of the ash and the amount of sediment and debris in the river.  Whene it rains up there in the high country, the river here runs the color and the consistency of chocolate syrup.

Mad Machinist

Ok, we got our equipment list settled. I would like for you guys to review it and tell me if you see any problems.

For saws, both my brother and I stil have our Husky 394's and 385's. They have all been "hotrodded". Lots of power and very high chain speeds.

Going to use a grapple skidder to collect and skid tree length to the landing.

At the landing, we will have a small to midsized excavator with an AFM combi head to handle the processing, sorting, and loading chores. I lke the versatility of this as I can change over to a bucket if need be to take care of any problems.

There will also be a chipper there to handle the slash which will put directly into the chipper during the processing stage in order to save a little time.

After about a year, there will be a tracked feller buncher replacing both my brother and I in the woods to take care of the felling chores.

We talked about one of us running equipment, but quite honestly, neither one of us will trust anyone else to be hand falling in the woods with us. We worked together for so long that there is an automatic trust there. We were never far apart so we could watch each others backs.

The biggest thing we talked about was the two of us cutting all morning then skidding the trees out and the two uf us processing them in the afternoon in order to keep this small. I'm not sure about this as it seems that it would take to much time. What do you all think?

Maine372

i like your AM/PM strategy. even working by myself i usually drive out into the woods, and then hack and whack for about an hour while its cool. get everything i can down without making more work for myself. then when its hot out i can mostly ride the skidder.

the only issue i see is that there will be no one on the landing to load trucks. not sure how your handleing your trucking but i know its a pain to get lined up. let alone if you only have somone on the landing in the afternoon.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its good to hear everything is looking like it pan out for you and your brother Mike  ;)

With falling in the morning and skidding,processing and loading it will leave you feeling alot better too and the afms are a good head there is alot of them working in pine and hardwood down here Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

Rocky_Ranger

Quote from: Mad Machinist on July 17, 2011, 12:24:11 PM
No i wasn't, but there was a group of Forest Rangers that came down here to give us a rundown of what they are trying to do.  I have a map of the burn intensities so I was able to follow along on what they are proposing. Some of this is going ot be in pretty rough terrain.

Unfortunately, our watershed flows through some of what was burnt and the watershed has been utterly destroyed.  the Frisco River has been rendered devoid of life from the acidity of the ash and the amount of sediment and debris in the river.  Whene it rains up there in the high country, the river here runs the color and the consistency of chocolate syrup.

It's gonn'a get a whole lot worse before it gets better, we're only seeding about 80,000 acres and heli-mulching about 25,000.  I flew the burned area last Monday and I doubt there are any fish left in any of the free-flowing streams.  Lakes are pretty much fine (except the ones we drained), and the fishes will return in better waters.
RETIRED!

Mad Machinist

Yea it is pretty bad. Endangered species pretty much gone here are: Spikedace and loach minnows, Apache trout, probaably the chiricahua leopard frog , and quite a few others I can't think of right now. Spotted owls lost 73 out of 145 nesting sites. Mexican wolves are kind of an unknown at this point. That no touch policy is sure working out isn't it.

If this wasn't so pathetic, I would be laughing my butt off. My neighbor is a memeber of some elk society thing and I told him what I was up to. Well he proceedes to go on a tirade about how I am going to destroy the forest and his favorite hunting spots andall I want to destroy everything. He flipped about loggers destroying all the habitat up there.

So after he was done, I told him to wait a minute and came back out of the house with the burn intensity map I have and explained to him what it meant. Once he understood, I asked him what habitat are we going to destroy? I asked him how many thinning projects his society has put an end to. He got real embarrased. Then I proceeded to tell him that those projects may not have stopped this fire, but thye could have very well reduced the intensity of it.

Then I explained to him exactly what we are going to do and how it will only take decades to recover instead of centuries. He finally asked how he could help. I told him for right now support us getting in there to do the salvage logging and thinning and get ready to plant a whole lot of seedlings.

Anyway back to work. This business plan is making me crazy.

mad murdock

Quote from: Mad Machinist on July 17, 2011, 10:58:44 PM

I told him to wait a minute and came back out of the house with the burn intensity map I have and explained to him what it meant. Once he understood, I asked him what habitat are we going to destroy? I asked him how many thinning projects his society has put an end to. He got real embarrased. Then I proceeded to tell him that those projects may not have stopped this fire, but thye could have very well reduced the intensity of it.

Then I explained to him exactly what we are going to do and how it will only take decades to recover instead of centuries. He finally asked how he could help. I told him for right now support us getting in there to do the salvage logging and thinning and get ready to plant a whole lot of seedlings.

Great form Mad Machinist!! 8)  The truth wins every time.  We can get people to wake up one person at a time, and before you know it, we can be the force for some real change, or rather , return to common sense, and utilize the resources for the good of the current generation, AND leave it in better condition for the next one.  Way to go, and best of luck on your (ad)venture :)

duke

Well If You ever get stuck for an operator look me up, never ran a dangle head but here that it only takes a few hours maybe a day or two then you are on the game. That sounds like a great way to harvest. Where I live they usually thin and leave the stuff on the ground as fuel for the next big forest fire. I have always said that this stuff can and should be harvested. Its just that the big guys don't make thier massive profits in short order,LOL
  Marcel

Lohok27

Wow, Machinist, not only did you tell the truth, but you actually found one not in denial when faced with facts and reality. Good luck on your venture. I spent time on the Navajo res. when I was a kid and have fond memories of the area.
Rule #1 Don't panic.
Rule #2 In case of panic, refer to rule #1.

Ron Scott

What and where are your markets for the salvaged wood?
~Ron

Mad Machinist

Ron,

Right now they are going to the two sawmills close to the area, but thye can only handle about 20 MMBF a year. We have a few smaller one scattered around but not enough to handle what is there, if we can even get it all before it goes bad.

If you know of any, I'm all ears. Alot of people could go back to work for awhile on this if it goes forward.

If I remeber right, when the Rodeo-Chediski fire ripped through some of the same area, the Apache Indians shipped alot of their salvage timber out by rail to somplace in Georgia. May have to do that again, if the market will take it.

Coon

I commend you for what you are doing here Mad Machinist.  It is not an easy task to handle a project of this size.   8)  8)

Boy, if you could ever get the mentality of 1 out of every 100 environmentalist guru's, in the area, on the same page like you did your neighbor this world would be a whole lot better off than the direction it has been going.  Putting people back to work helping out the environment IMHO is one of the best things that could be done.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Mad Machinist

coon,

It does get kinda confusing at times. Especially when I am trying to find my own markets for materials.

It really stinks though that a few people are going to find out what happens when you refuse to hire a minority contractor when you are on a government contract. I would have left it go, but what was told to me by a friend who works for this contractor, wasn't exactly called for and they are going to pay for it. Making the comment that a woman owned company, especially when it is owned by a women veteran, has no business in the woods is uncalled for. It has already been forwarded to the proper people. Last time I heard of a general contractor doing something like that, they lost the contract and were run off site.

Anyway, I am looking into other areas for use of the wood.

Mad Machinist

Got that mess straightened out. It wasn't the owner that made the comment but someone who works for him. The owner found out about it and called me to apologize. We had a long talk and unfortunately he told me that they do not have enough of work to bring anyone else in. Which is perfectly fine with me. I do not want to take anybodies job.

It did all work out though. I signed on with Snowflake Power to harvest biomass for them starting this spring. So it looks like I am going back to work with my own company.

Rocky_Ranger

I like the sound of that - we'll try and keep you busy.............
RETIRED!

Mad Machinist

Still working out some numbers, but if it works out right I might just bring a full blown chipper and become a travelling road show. Once I get the final numbers in, I might just run around buying the small dimeter stuff and shredding it for the powerhouse and maybe a few pellet mills who are interested.

Maybe we'll all get lucky and this will become a self sustaining business.

Thank You Sponsors!