iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan III Mill

Started by twostroke_blood, April 06, 2006, 07:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twostroke_blood

Is anyone useing the Alaskan III mill in addition to your band mill for the larger diameter stuff ?
pictures would be great

oldsaw

Like this?

[img width=400 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/y291/mhitterdal/Marksbigsaw.jpg[/img]

That is a 36"+ Walnut.  The 066 has a 42" bar on it, and it was in about 28" on the flat side facing you.  Hit 4 nails on that one, one of which ws a 16d, cut the middle right out of it, but tore up three teeth on the chain in the process.  A friend I cut with has a Norwood with a 20" throat, so I get to take a few boards off of the big ones before they go up on the mill.  Taking the weight off is usually a very good thing.

I've got a couple more, but I think they are on my computer at the office.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Shawn

I have a mark III. It's a workout. I hope to use it on big logs, I know my 385XP will come in handy felling and bucking. I think nothern has the lowest prices.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

TexasTimbers

You think Northern has the lowest prices on the mill or the saw?

It would have to be a big difference in price for me not to use Baileys. I don't know that I'd use anyone but them period. You can't beat Bailey's customer service and their reps are all knowledgable.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WkndCutter

I have one but I find it too much of a work out, so I bought a bandmill.  I have little use for it until a real big log comes along and I keep it for just that.  Otherwise I just roll the log up on the saw bed and cut the edges off to get the sawmill to fit.  I do like knowing I have the option to break out the Alaskan mill if I need it.  I have to bring my "A" game if I do though.  Overall, its a good outfit.

Andy

Shawn

I'm sorry. It's harbor feight ($160) that has the 36" unit. Baileys ($175) for the same thing. I do think baileys has excellent customer service. I bought my from baileys, along with my Husky 385XP and a truck-load of chains. The Alaskan is ALOT of WORK! I'm building a bandmill. Also, a 3/8" kerf is what was another issue. Every 3rd board, you waste one. And the pile of sawdust is amazing.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

twostroke_blood

Thats a nice endorsement for Bailey's, and since they're a sponser of the FF, I guess they'll be my first choice if I decide to purchase an Alaskan III mill.

Thanks for the pic Oldsaw.  With that 42" bar, what is the maximum width you can cut?  And how thick a cant can you cut?

oldsaw

I can get all 36" from the 36" mill.  I think it goes to 12-13", but you could add extensions to the uprights and go higher.  The only catch there would be to avoid twisting the mill in the cut, by that I mean keeping the mill parallel to the log in the cut.  If you push on the saw, then you would have a chance of lifting the front of the mill and "climbing" the cut, if you push the mill, you could easily end up trying to make the bar dive in the cut.  You could avoid that by using a "helper handle" and an extra body on the nose end of the bar.

With most trees in my neck of the woods, if I wanted a 12x12 or similar, I would mark it out on the log and mill down to it.  Biggest I've done is 2x, other than taking off the top slab, and precious little of that.  Mostly 4/4 and 5/4 hardwood

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dan_Shade

i can quarter a 36" log with this setup.  I have some taller uprights to use on big logs, the regular alaskan only goes to 13"
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

twostroke_blood

Dan,

What kind of an attachment is that?  I cant tell from the pic.  Is it an Alaskan Mill?  Or some other make?

Dan_Shade

the uprights are alaskan uprights, I made the frame myself to fit my 42" bar.  I have an alaskan that will fit on a 30" bar.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!