iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch cable for Farmi351 winch

Started by fireman05, April 23, 2007, 11:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman05

Looking to replace the winch cable on my Farmi 351 winch.  Any suggestions as to where I might purchase one other than from the dealer?
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

RSteiner

I purchased mine from a local farm supply outfit.  They did sell winches also, but they had wire rope on a reel.  Check the price per foot from a couple of places.  Just make sure you get the right product for the application.

Randy
Randy

bitternut

Look to your left. One of the sponsors of this forum called Bailey's has cable. Also there is an outfit in New Hampshire called Labonville Inc. that can make up what ever cable you might need.

beenthere

I don't know the specifics, but just talked to my neighbor this morning, and he has a Farmi winch. Needed cable so he had the local IH_Case dealership (close) put on new cable. Apparently they didn't have the right cable and/or didn't thread it right, and messed up the brake assembly, so the new cable only lasted a short while, before it was kinked so bad it was not usable. They contacted the Farmi dealer, bought the right cable from that dealer, but that didn't last long because the brake system was ruined due to the improper threading. They are now are waiting for the brake repairs to be done to the brake system, and then put on a third cable.

My point, I guess, is to make sure the replacement cable meets the specs for the winch. Can get real expensive if the wrong cable/or the wrong threading.  Looks like they will have to put the third cable on to overcome the damage done to the second one. Something about the brake not holding and it free wheels, getting the cable tangled and kinked so bad a new replacement is needed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

I have a 601 so larger cable than yours. Got my replacment from Baileys. They are also a sponsor here. Call or check there web site for sizes.

thecfarm

You do need the correct cable,kinda.If it's to stiff than it won't wrap on the drum straight when it is released.I use to run ½ cable,but it is really too stiff for my Norse winch.When I release it and pull it out by hand,and start to winch I would have to make sure it was tight against the drum.With the 7/16 that I use now,I don't have that trouble.When I was looking there was 2 grades,one Canda and one US for a winch.Some of the local chainsaw shops carry cable.That's where my last one came from.I also run only 100 feet,I can run 150 but with 150 I always had to watch how the cable went on to the drum or it would get caught in the chain.Would have to cut it shorter than.Lot easier to use 50 feet less.Very rarely did I ever pull all the cable and the few times I did,I would have to keep going back to unhook to go around a tree.Hard to walk in a straight line through the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!