iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered Mill

Started by DarrellC, May 15, 2013, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellC

Hi Guys,

I am new here and yesterday ordered an EZ Boardwalk Jr.

I am  in the process of having a modular home built and have cleared about an acre of red pine, white pine and white spruce.  I estimate I have around 6-8mbft of logs to mill so far.  I plan on using the wood to build a couple sheds and to frame a garage.

I think I will mill the red pine and spruce into 2x4 and 2x6 and the white pine into 1" boards.

I can't wait to start milling.

dboyt

Darrell, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new sawmill!  Sounds like you've got a good plan.  I milled the lumber for our home about 35 years ago (all oak), and it's still standing.  I predict a lot of sawdust in your future.  Keep us posted on how its going.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

Welcome too, and diddo what dboyt says.
Pull up a stump and let us know how it is going.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Darrell.

Congratulations on the new mill!

Lots of good info here!

Where abouts are you in NNY?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

Darrell
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy makin dust. Take pictures of your setup when you get it. We like pictures!      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF!
You have a good plan, keep us posted on progress.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mad murdock

Yes indeed! Welcome Darrell, you are definitely executing a fine plan 8) I am anxious to see pics of the new addition (mill) and the fruits of your (future) labors!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

DarrellC,welcome to the forum and congrats on the mill. Ever been around a mill before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

millwright

Wellcome to the forum, you'll learn a lot here.

Nomad

Welcome Darrell.  You'll smile the first time you pull the stuff out of your pockets and find out they're full of sawdust too. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

DarrellC

Thanks for the welcome.

Chuck,  I am in St Lawrence County.

thecfarm,  I have done some chain saw milling, but this will be my first time using a bandmill.

I just got back from the lot,  here are some pics of some of the logs.

WDH

Nice timber.  Are you planning to push the stumps over?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Are you doing the cutting? How are you getting the logs out and piling the logs? Piling the logs part looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Darrell.
Nice bunch of logs. Looks like you'll be having some fun real soon.
Allan

DarrellC

I have an excavator coming to pull the stumps.

I have done the cutting with help from my Dad and a friend.  Used the side by side to skid the logs and stacked using ramps, a long pipe and brute force.  The smaller red pine logs are around 8" on the small end. 

Part of my land is 60 year old planted red pine that was never thinned, which caused them to grow tall and thin.  They averaged about 10-12" DBH and a few were  14-15".  The White pines were about 20" and the spruce 16-17".

petermiddletn

I am new to the site, originally from upstate NY myself, Norfolk to be exact.  I see Russell and St. Lawrence county is well represented.  We have plenty of red pine poles on our tree lot also.  Moved to central tn years ago.  Its a hardwood forest around year.  Wind storms this year has provided myself with plenty of nice saw log ash and red oaks.  Happy milling.
yankee pete

DarrellC

Picked up my mill today.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get it set up and mill some wood.

thecfarm

Good luck with the mill and sawing.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Nice wood lot and good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

justallan1

And the fun begins ;D
Take your time, be safe and have fun!

Allan

downsouth

OOOHH BOY!! It's on now! Congrats on the mill,and welcome to the FF.

DarrellC

Only Had Time To Mill A 6X6 This Morning After Setting The Mill Up.  Will Not Be Able To Mill Again Until Monday.

I Am Still Decieding On The Dimensions For Framing Lumber.  I Am Thinking 1 5/8 X 4.Then Resawing To 3 1/2 After Drying. What Do You Guys Think?

thecfarm

Depends on what you are building. I just build out buldings,so I saw a true inch on most stuff I saw,be it 2X4-6-8's or just boards. I don't have to worry about windows or door thinkness. I use nails so don't have to worry about the nails in a nail gun being longer enough. I just buy longer nails.

DarrellC

I Am Planning A Couple Sheds  And A Garage.  I Use A Nail Gun For Framing, Which Is Why I Was Thinking 1 5/8. I May Leave Them Full Width After Drying As Long As There Is Not Excessive Crown.

Thank You Sponsors!