iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ideas on mink trapping

Started by Part_Timer, October 26, 2006, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well it's that time of year again.  The differance is that my kids will be trapping with me this season.  I'm taking the week of Thanksgiving off to start teaching my kids how to trap coons and rats. 

I've never been able to trap a mink before.  ??? ??? Jusst can't seem to connect.  I've seen 2 along a couple of dranage ditches in the last month and my daughter would like to try so she can get one tanned and hang it on the wall in her bedroom.

I'm looking for any advice anyone is willing to share.

Thanks
tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Them buggers is TUFF. Ya GOTTA Drown 'em. Had 2 different sets on dry land and had a Mink in each. BOTH got loose.  ::) ::) >:(

Ever do Fox or Coyote's ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

asy

This is another asy_don't_understand_stuff type question...

Do you eat mink?

Are they sorta like a ferret thing?

Are they a pest to your land/crop/beasts?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

beenthere

When I was a young boy, our neighbors raised mink and fox for fur. The mink meat was cooked for the fox, and maybe the fox meat was as well. No one eats the meat that I know of, and there is even less there than on a thin squirrel.  Trapping is mostly for the fur which is just leather with the hair still on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

So...

If ya don't eat them, and they aren't a pest, why are ya hunting the wild ones???

I wouldn't have thought one animal would be enough to do anything useful, they're quite small, aren't they?

Part_Timer

ASY

This is another asy_don't_understand_stuff type question...

Do you eat mink? (I don't but I suppose if you were hungry it might be better than grinners)

Are they sorta like a ferret thing?(yep only chocolate brown )

Are they a pest to your land/crop/beasts? (not realy but sometimes.  Think mink coat)

Mink are high on the sneeky smart list.  At lest smarter than me.  ;D  Zac has trapped with me but I quit when Taylor was just a baby so it's time to teach her.  I see trapping as a survival skill.  If you can trap you can put meat on the table when necessary.  Not all of it is high on the table fair list but food is food.  I've trapped rabbits,squirrels,coons,grinners,coyotes and muskrats.  I'd like to get a fox and a mink yet and I sure would like to try my hand at pine martin and fisher someday.

Is there trapping over there?  How much do you know about it?  Just wondering so I can give you better answers.  If I can, I'm sure no expert just lucky sometimes.

Deadheader
I've snared a few coyotes but I've not had any sucess with land sets on them.  I'd like to have a fox hide for the wall also.  Maybe this year.

I use #11 double jaws for coons along with bucket sets(220 conies) and snares.  I use conies(110) for rats and hopefully minkses.  

Have you ever done any snaring before?
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Hiya Part-Timer,

We do have trapping over here, I believe.

I know nothing at all about it, which is why I ask so many dumb questions.   ;) ;D ;)

What sort of traps do you use?

I've heard there's different types, like the ones that are like a box and just trap the animal, they seem OK (well, OK in proportion to the others) and there are ones that are like a set of jaws, they just look frighteningly barbaric.

SwampDonkey

overturned pale with bows over it. Toss an open sardine can in it, and rig up a conabear trap. You'll probably catch a few coons anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

A 1 1/2 on a slide wire drowning set or a 120 for late season with freeze ups is what we use up here for trapping mink.
They will also go into a baited funnel trap.

asy, mink and other fur bearing animals are trapped and sold through auction houses in sorted lots.
They are considered a renewable resource and a royalty must be paid to the government on each animal.
It's important to trap the animal as humanely as possible and not over trap an area that might have an affect of sustainability on the resource.
You can do that by harvesting a higher percentage of males over females and manage an area which will always maintain a healthy population of animals.

Fla._Deadheader

Snares are too gruesome for me.  ::) ::)

Well set traps are very humane. I caught lots of Fox and never caught a dog. Caught Wild domestic cats, too. Them were ALL scary wild.  :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

If you get muskrat they make an great lure for them. Drive a hefty stick in the ground next to the water and hang a skinned carcass from it. Use the set next to it Kevin mentioned. One of my favorites for mink is a live trap too small for coons to get into baited with the same. The  only downside to these sets is you'll catch way more skunks than mink.

They have a beautiful pelt, catch enough of em and have it made into a new coat for Katie.

asy

Interesting info, thanks guys.

I must say, I'm interested in trapping because the National Parks guys have said that we may have to trap wild dogs on  the farmy. That or bait them.

I can't stand the thought of bait, it's an ugly death and there's no guarantee that the dogs will be the only ones that eat it.

I have no problem with cage-trapping, so long as the animals are then killed humanely. I'll be looking into having some phenobarbitol on hand if I'm allowed. That way I can put them down myself without any pain...  I guess a rifle (at short range) would also do the same job, but we haven't made a decision on the gun question yet...

pigman

asy, if you have to take phenobarbitol to be able to put an animal down without causing you pain, maybe you should let someone else do it. ;) Don't take too much of that stuff, it could kill you. :o

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

asy

hehe thanks for the tip pigman!

I always appreciate your advice.

Part_Timer

Swampdonkey  I use a square bucket with notches in the side and put a 220 in it for coons.  Works well. I get the ocassional grinner, I've never got a skunk in one though.  Now watch that's all I'll catch now that I've said it out loud. ;D ;D

Kevin  maybe I'll get a piece of culvert pipe the size for 120's and lay it alongside the bank,with a bit of water in it? cover it in mud and leaves and put a 120 in each side.  Maybe one of them rats in the middle. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  At least until it freezes.  What is a funnel trap?

Norm  I'll try that drowning set with bait also ( the KN set.  Kevin/Norm set)  I'll let you know how it works.  Katie doesnt' want a coat but shoe would like to have one full mounted and in the living room.

Deadheader I've caught a lot of dogs but it seems like everyone around here thinks it is ok to have a dog and just let it run all over creation.  They cause lots of problems. 

Snares are a bit (different).  It is a touchy subject so I won't go into it here but like I said we (Katie and I ) see it as a survuval skill and we do teach it to the kids in the boyscout troup with their parents permission; as part of the wilderness survival merit badge.

Now that I've seen them maybe we can catch one.  They are fun to watch.  Looks like a submarine with the parascope up.  I watched one for about 10 minutes one morning going from rat hole to rat hole looking for breakfast.

Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Well, I guess, with regards snares or bitey traps, If you're starving, and this is the only way to get food for your family, then I can understand it. I can understand the teaching of it for the above purpose.

I'd hate to hear of it being done 'for fun'.

Does that make sense? It's just my thoughts... too...

beenthere

Asy

You may think Pigman was joking. But after your first attempt to give a wild dog a shot with a needle while in a trap, you will understand that maybe he wasn't. :)  And I suspect shooting them in the trap will be easier then too, or putting the trap in the pond. The "wild domestic cat" in the trap, as mentioned, is truly a scary thing to witness. Wild dogs may be calmer.
I used to think drowning was not humane, but no longer think that way. I think it's "lights out" pretty quickly.  My preferred method, and a lot 'cleaner' than shooting.  

I doubt anyone is doing it 'just for fun'. My opinion anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

'for fun' was probably the wrong phrase.

No offence was meant.

I meant for a reason other than sustenance.

does that make sense?

beenthere

I think I get the idea what you are getting at, and I don't try to judge what others decide to do.  If they want to just call it a sport, fine by me. I kill flies, buy I refuse to eat 'em.  :)

In our country and surrounding area, someone will soon have to come to grips with a growing problem with wild geese. They are increasing by leaps and bounds as they have an endless food supply and essentially no 'enemies' or controlling limits (such as food and habitat). 
south central Wisconsin

PawNature

Diddo on the drowning. If you can't set your trap where there is water you are pretty much wasting your time. "With mink that is."
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

asy

hehehe Beenthere, I LOVE the fly comment.

Thanks!!!

Kevin

The thing with mink is the bait must be kept fresh and they investigate every little nook and cranny.
Under any overhanging bank along a river or stream is a good place.
The problem with water sets is the fluctuating water levels during the rain days.
Funnel traps are a cage traps that can be set submerged in small channels with a dive pole causing the animal to dive under the water and into the cage.
The door swings one way and the animal becomes trapped inside.
These are generally used for muskrat but mink will investigate them when baited.

gary

PawNature

It be a possum. Least wise that what they are called in these parts.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

farmerdoug

Asy,

I understand where you are coming from on the killing.

I feel similar on the subject when it comes to antihunters.  I tell them that I agree that you should only kill what you eat too.  So I am dead against slaughterhouses.  My cousin works in one and he kills thousands of beef and pigs a year.  He does not eat any of the meat so I think they should shut down the saughterhouses also.  Let the city folks find their own meat. ;)

I guess I can get a little bent out of shape over food sometimes. ::)

No offense Asy just hearing an all to familar arguement.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!