iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods walking

Started by Gordon, March 01, 2001, 06:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Yeah-but!   You'll never get rid of them if you keep convincing everybody how much trouble they are.  You have to make other folks want the fool things.  Then you can sell them.  :D

Would you get taxed for a building if you piled up a bunch of these rocks into a rock pile that looked like a 30 room castle and plumbed it?

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Tom, you ought know better than suggest such things. Fear not, here is your very castle. This is the Lewis castle (See the L on the rock section of the flu) in Perth-Andover,NB  that my grandfather slaved to help haul rocks to build. The last two occupants said it was the coldest place on earth to heat. :D :D

It's now an inn and restaurant as you can see on this website:

http://www.castleinn.ca/
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I find it funny you guys talking about rocks. I have yet to see one anywhere on my 69 acres in tenn. Across the road there are monster rocks on mine nothing.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

chain

I had about a six hour woods walk yesterday, I carry a small hatchet for vines and such, sometimes a pruning saw,  orange tape, binoculars, although I dislike pistols have added a small one to my tote bag. What I like about the hilly terrain is the exercise is so great, we have a rocky glade up on the mount that I try to get up to, the view is always great; on the clearest of days, as they  say, "you can see forever!" Always something interesting in the forest.

Magicman

You should have seen some turkeys, or at least some scratching activity.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I saw scratchings,  if I don't put the chainsaw up may not have turkeys. I had worked thinning a clearcut, noticed scratchings, thought they were after dogwood berries or grapes but found some of the oaks actually had acorns, but the thing about it is the toms are beginning to establish their strutting territories.

My neighbor had bought a track loader a couple years ago. He went up and down every point and ridge and hollow running his turkeys over to our property. ;D Unless turkeys are baited, don't think they care for much disturbance and will lite out for safer country.

thecfarm

Stepson is coming up to flag the deer trails.We still have plenty of snow to see the trails.He's looking for some antlers.We are feeding deer and turkeys too.Deer wil eat and leave and than others will come and go too and so on.Them turkeys get there,they don't leave until all the food is gone. Looks odd to see 10-14 turkeys eating and 3-4 deer at the same time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

and19bre

Quote from: Gordon on March 01, 2001, 06:52:27 PMJust wondering how many of you just like to walk in the woods and admire mother natures work. I know that is one of the most relaxing things to me. Going for a nice long walk in my woods sure is a stress remover. Amazing you can walk the same trail a hundred times and always find something new and interesting.
I most definitely agree with you. I do love walking in the woods as well, but not alone 'coz I'm kind of scared. Haha. But it's always a relaxing thing to do! :)

Bibbyman

This is the wettest winter and spring we've had in many years.  I figured it'd be a hazard just to stand in the wood for fear mushrooms would pop up under you and tip you over.  But pickin's have been slim.   About a month ago I found one little gray mushroom about the size of a pigeon egg.  Then about a week ago I found two more.  Last evening I walked about a mile and checked every likely spot I knew and everywhere in-between and found one nice white one.

Today was a rainout at the sawmill but slacked off in the afternoon.  So I went to check on some old hot spots I'd not checked in a couple of evenings.  Still none.  But I kept on going.  Long story short,  I ended up finding 9 real nice, fresh and large white mushrooms. Normally I wouldn't brag but it's the most encouraging outing I've had this season. 

I found these under a large ash tree but the rest were found under red oak trees - one and two at a time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

tyb525

This has been an awesome year for mushrooms.

More than 20 right here, we found 40 a few days ago.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

I never see those kind here, are they in oak forest?

Mostly what I see are ones with white, brown or red caps, probably poisonous. We do have a similar one to those, but it's orange/yellow.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

Morels , They are just starting to show up around here.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

tyb525

We find them in all areas of our woods. From old growth sugar maple to newer poplar stands to mixed stands of every hardwood species.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard morels are often found around tulip poplars.

There seems to be a mushroom epidemic in this area. Stories of people finding hundreds of them. I know I've been seeing for sale ads selling morels all over craigslist, something I haven't seen till this year.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sandhills

morels is what they're called around here too, find them around the dead chinese elm and cottonwoods.

SwampDonkey

When I lived and worked in northern BC it was a big deal to go mushrooming. There were several camps set up to buy all you could pick for cash.

Mooseherder

SD, Start testing which ones are good to eat and let me know.
Have some pictures in the camera to help with the investigation. :D

SwampDonkey

I gave my good 'shrooming book to my brother a few years ago. So he claims. :D ;)

Ron Scott

They're selling for $50.00 a pound here.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Weather-wise, that sure is a cold wind for being out of the south.  ::)

SwampDonkey

A little walk among some potential spruce log trees.  ;) This was on a relative's lot, along a hiking trail that takes me 2 hours from the house, out to some sawmill land and back in by my uncle's woodlot and across neighbors. Hasn't been much wood cut here for decades. These spruce are at least 90 feet tall. They go way up there. ;)

The spruce are growing on alluvium. A little stream is just to the right of the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o_yjFTgILo

WDH

Very nice.  Those spruce like limbs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yes, shade tolerance has it's trade offs. ;) Luckily they are fine knots, and not "cow shade" knots. ;)

CHARLIE

Talk about a walk through the woods!  I started at the very first of this thread, written in 2001, and literally walked through 10 pages of woods.  What a fun trip.  I had forgotten about many of those posts and enjoyed brother Tom's stories.  This thread is a Classic and very enjoyable. :) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Thank you Charlie.  After I read your post, I decided to click on page 1.  It was a very interesting read.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!