iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bent Hitch on my Truck

Started by Ga_Boy, May 20, 2005, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I was hauling logs the other day, had about 7,000 to 8,000 pounds on my trailer.  When I got home to unload, I noticed my hitch was bent down, then it hit me.

I let the execavator operator load me to far forward, these were some big Red and White Oaks

DanG it, DanG it,  DanG it. :( :(

Now I gotta get my hitch fixed. 

Not sure if this one can be strightened or I gotta replace it.  Anyone done this before?

Mark

DanG it, DanG it, DanG it. 

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

JimBuis

I have straightened out a hitch or two.  The main question is what kind of hitch is it?  You'd also need to check for cracks that may have been created during your haul.  Look closely at any welds in the hitch.  If there are any cracks, I would not attempt it unless you are a welder.  Absent any cracks, you may be able to straighten it.  Do you have any pictures of the hitch and showing just how bad it is?  You can sometimes straighten one by putting on a heavy load in the truck and jack up the back of the truck using a hydraulic jack under the hitch.  If you try this, you need to make sure the truck is sitting on level concrete or similar hard surface with nothing around it in case it falls off of the jack.  Don't have any kids or close bystanders around either.

With some pictures, suggestions would be easier to make.  Whatever, you do......BE CAREFUL! :P
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Ga_Boy

Jim,

Great minds think a like.  My first thought was to put my 20 ton jack on the hitch and start jacking.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post. 

Here is what I have:  2004 GMC K3500, factory class IV hitch.

If you can picture the recever coming out; this thing is bent downward about 5 to 10 degrees.

Mark

Dan_Shade

the only problem with straightening a bent hitch is stress-strain hardening, it would probably be ok, but it may (probably will) weaken the strength of the hitch.

hard to tell what kind of safety factor is in the hitch in the first place. 

Is it useable the way it is, or does it just look really bad?

You can probably get a new hitch for your truck pretty cheap.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

The hitch is useable for now, too me it just looks bad.  I try to keep all my equipment is A1 condition. 

I am leaning towards putting a class V on my truck, I checked prices this morning, they run about $200.

I am seeing two varients, square tube and oval tube designs.  Is it personal perferance or is there a differance in these two materials?

Mark

Ironwood

I ripped a class III out of the back of my  old F250 High Boy. Now I make sureto beef things up, including load dispersion plates on the top side of the frame were the bolts go through, which seems to be the main difference in ther class 3-5. Never can be enough metal back there!

On the tube style, no preference unless you are going to do some alteration then the sqare is easier to work with. The other thing I freaquently do is HEAVY winching, keep that in mind as well as the forces generated are completely of a different nature.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Doc

$200 bucks is cheap compared to what it might cost you if you straighten that hitch and it fails on you WITH A LOAD ON IT.

Save yourself alot of hassle, your neck and possibly someone elses, and get an upgraded hitch....

Doc

Kevin_H.

I have the factory hitch on my 97 chevy, The problem I had when I bent mine is that it also bent the frame where the hitch bolts up.

the hitch on mine bolts to the bottom on the frame, I think the ones that bolt to the side of the frame will stand up a little better.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Captain

I'll echo kevin and say check the frame...

Captain

Ga_Boy

I don't think I bent the frame, the bumper and the step is still level to the ground.

I crawled underneeth and did not see any signs of the frame bent.  This hitch bolts to the side of the frame rail.

Now, ain't real sure what a tell - tell sign of a bent frame is.

Anybody got any clues?

Mark

Gilman

When it sparks driving down the road?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Gilman on May 20, 2005, 12:03:23 PM
When it sparks driving down the road?

:D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Doc

After hauling that giant planer home I bet Gilman knows all about sparks and roads. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gilman

Color safe bleach is a scam. :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ga_Boy

Took my truck back to the dealer for them to fix some other stuff.  They checked out my hitch while they had my truck.

The dealer response was; I need to replace my bumper.  I could not believe I was hearing this.  A few days later the dealer called back to follow up on my satisification with the service.  Told them I was not happy about the response on my hitch and they were to do a visual inspection of my brakes; I noted metal to metal grinding.  For the brakes all they did was a test drive, that was a week ago and I ain't herd squat back.  So much for customer service.

I'm gonna order a class V hitch, this will raise my towing limit to 12K pounds and level the bumber.

I have not found the digital optimize program for pictures yet.  I on a new box at home and need this to up load my pictures.  As soon as I get my hands on this program I will get some pics up.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!