iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fast? firewood

Started by 47sawdust, November 06, 2016, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: uplander on November 11, 2016, 09:03:41 AM
I think the different ways we all do it are due to site specific reasons and conditions. No one way is going to work best for all of us. We all have to respond to different circumstances to get what we need done.

In the end it boils down to working smarter not harder.

Well said. It's a combination of site conditions, what equipment you have available (or what new toys you can convince yourself are "justified") and your own personal preferences on how to work and the trade-off between spending time or spending money.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

uplander

"Justified Toys" are a major factor in how we all do it. :D
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Bill Saf

like every one says it depends on when, where, and how far you have to move your wood what ever it takes in my book.

John Mc

Nice train, Bill. Are you sure there isn't some other implement you need to hook on behind your splitter?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bill Saf

Quote from: John Mc on November 15, 2016, 10:14:48 PM
Nice train, Bill. Are you sure there isn't some other implement you need to hook on behind your splitter?

LOL John not behind the splitter but I could think of a gooseneck with a log lift in front of the first trailer then splitter.  8) I get all kinds of looks with it that way around here any way.

47sawdust

Bill,
No doubt, you can back that train up and put everything where you want it. :D
I grew up(?) in Southern Illinois but have lived in Vermont for  45 years.I wish I could have brought some flat land with me.
As has been said,firewood production is truly site specific,mine is slow and steady.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Al_Smith

I like the pick up truck bed  trailer. Fact I've done several myself. Pretty good trailers on the cheap all things considered .

gasman1075

I am trying to get a sense of the best way to cut up log lengths for firewood. There was a picture of some log lengths cut to 10-12 foot but stacked so they could be rolled up onto a log deck and be cut up for firewood out of the dirt and snow. My landing is a sloped field and I can push the logs onto the deck with the tractor. The picture was in the past month or so but I am sorry I didn't tag the poster or the pictures. I have about 30 cord at the landing and am ready to start cutting but want to save my back and I don't have a grapple. I do have a nice slope and a peavey.

Thanks for any help or advice you may provide.
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

47sawdust

Gasman,
This might be what you're looking for.https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,94092.0.html

.You are going to be busy. 30 cords,huh,won't be a problem sleeping at night for quite a while.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

John Mc

47sawdust - did you mean to include a link with that post? Not sure what you are referring to.

47sawdust

John Mc,
It takes me a while, but I get there eventually.
Mick

gasman1075

47sawdust,

Thanks for that picture I saw that but this was a fella who had a couple of logs on the ground but up on top of another and perpendicular.....I would say I'd figure it out today but we got 6-8" last night and it's still snowing  so I will be schlepping kids to school. I skid everything to one landing or another and buck, split and pile out in the field with lots of wind and hopefully some sun. ....I am trying to figure out a cheap hydraulic thumb I can add to my skid winch to keep the logs up in the air while I cut them......

Thanks much

47sawdust

gasman,
This youtube video is similar to what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkFPX9zRn0

It says it got over 800,000 views,must be some people just enjoy watching others work. :D
Mick

John Mc

It's a nice set-up to get the logs up, but what keeps the log off the ground once you start chunking it up?

EDIT: I guess it helps if you realize it's a video, not a photo, and actually click on play to watch it.

Ljohnsaw

That's a pretty good setup.  Nice to have a really sharp saw but I hope he's wearing steel toed boots the way he keep dropping rounds on his feet!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gasman1075

This is what I was looking for thanks much. Once they are blocked up my 16 year old and I will try out my slightly used but new to me TW5 with the log lift. I am trying to work smarter not harder and I love splitting wood.

Thanks again. 

47sawdust

John Mc,
Happy Birthday,John
Mick

coxy

seems like a lot more work to me

John Mc

Quote from: coxy on February 01, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
seems like a lot more work to me

As compared to cutting them on the ground? I agree the set up may take some time, but sometimes there are other considerations (like making it convenient for someone with a messed up back).

overclocking

Buddy of mine does it kinda like you. He has a kubota 60 horse and a 3pt log skidder winch on it. Hooks up to about 4 or 5 respectable logs. Drags them to a pile and uses his mini to stack them up in a pile, does this for a while until the pile/piles get huge. He used to use a 3pt splitter with a lift and table and he has a conveyor, but recently he is renting a processing unit for a week. It should put out a respectable amount of wood for the week its rented if its fed non stop, and the machines do all the work.. No handling the wood 20 times, just skid it, pile it and process it until its dry or ready to sell.

Thank You Sponsors!