iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mistakes

Started by shampjm1, March 04, 2015, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shampjm1

So I just ordered my first mill. I'm getting the LT40 hydraulic with a few options. I didn't get the debarker as I've had several people say it wasn't worth the price. Anyway is there anyone out there that thought they made a mistake putting the money out there for that first mill? I truly believe the business is out there and there's money to be made but there's always that second thought. What do you think!
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

woodyone.john

Buying a mill is not a mistake,but not getting the debarker might be
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Ga Mtn Man

Is it a mistake?  Maybe.  Do you have payments on the mill and a way to make them other than earnings from sawmilling?  It can take a while to get your name out there and for the jobs to become "steady".

I would rather give up my setworks than my debarker.  When sawing mobile you have no control over the log conditions.  The first time you roll up to a pile of muddy logs you will wish you had one. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Southside

Going to agree with the others here.  I am just now getting into sawing, my new to me mill has yet to arrive but will be here soon, however I can say from a loggers perspective I never much gave a hoot about how many times a log was dragged through or dropped into a mud pit before it went onto the truck and on its way to a mill.  Suddenly now that some of those logs will make their way to my mill I care enough that I actually am building a forwarding trailer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ladylake

I'd take the setworks over a debarker any day, In all these years of on the road sawing I've only wished I had a debarker a couple of times.  I do have one but it's sitting in the shed as it was more trouble to use it than it was worth. .   I do have a sharpener so if I get a occasional blade dull too soon it's no big deal. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ncsawyer

Most big purchases come with a little buyer's remorse.  This just means you are a fiscally responsible person.  Like has been stated previously,  I would be nervous financing a mill right out of the gate to start my business,  without other sources of income to supplement my sawing business.

On my new mill the debarker was a must have.  It chaps me severely to use a shovel, hatchet or other inferior tool to knock bark and dirt off a log when I can be sawing.  The more time your blade stays in the wood, the more money you make.  Even if you can resharpen the blades yourself, it takes time to change blades.   But the good news is, you can always go back and add the debarker later if you see you need it.

Enjoy the new mill!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ladylake

I spend very little time scraping dirt, I take it off with the slab.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

I'm going to say this bluntly, if you plan on sawing, then set works and a debarker period,  I believe options are paid for by the functions they are designed for, why, why would you cheat yourself is the way I feel, just my little ole humble low budget feeling.  not sure of what other options you have, but I will say get them all, they pay for themselves through time.   Blunt but my opinion.  These are hobby mills, that make money, and quality boards if given a chance, I could go on but leave it here,,  hope all goes well for ya!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 04, 2015, 02:10:33 PMI would rather give up my setworks than my debarker. 

I am prone to exaggerate from time to time... ;D.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

soilmover

debarker sure is nice   congrats on the mill

Gasawyer

for mobile work debarker is a must setworks is nice. Use the debarker all the time, setworks is nice when it works properly. You can get quick using the scale too.  Just my two cents.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

steve marek

when I got my mill I order seat debarker lubemizer setworks and I can tell you I am glad I have them all pay for them self make life easier for me and have just add a edger last year wish I had it a few years ago work great I have a lt40 good luck on the new mill
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Nomad

Where I live "dirt" means "sand."  I've got my debarker blade out right now for the second sharpening in a little over a year.  I don't get it sharpened 'cuz it's a little dull, either. 
     Sawing strictly mobile for customers who don't have a clue about how damaging sand is to a blade, I figure it easily doubles the time I get before I need to sharpen.  At least on pine.  Other woods maybe not quite so much.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

theres a chance the debarkers may go on sale.....I'm totally guessing.

A mill is not a mistake...know what your competition is sawing and charging. Try to do something no other sawmill does.
Things will come together.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 04, 2015, 05:51:14 PM
theres a chance the debarkers may go on sale.....I'm totally guessing.

A mill is not a mistake...know what your competition is sawing and charging. Try to do something no other sawmill does.
Things will come together.  :)
If you are in a market that sells, that is,  get the options, it will pay for itself, not all areas have the same markets, some folks such as Poston is fixed in, makes me want to move back south,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

there have been saws long before debarkers, you'll learn how to slab around the dirt :) once you get established you can always upgrade mills and add a debarker if you feel the need.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WH_Conley

I have over 5000 hours on my mill. In that time I have had a few debarker motors go bad. I thought when I first got my mill that I had wasted the money on the debarker. Now, if the motor quits, I do to. In blade expense, even if you sharpen your own the reduced yield, blade life, per sharpening and your time will pay for one shortly.
Bill

Chuck White

First off, congratulations on the new mill!

Personally, I wouldn't be without my debarker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 04, 2015, 06:21:26 PM
there have been saws long before debarkers, you'll learn how to slab around the dirt :) once you get established you can always upgrade mills and add a debarker if you feel the need.
and you will also learn the art of changing bands,, often times very often,, just a moment in time I suppose,

Magicman

Hydraulics, Debarker, & Setworks.  There is no either/or.  Simply put, I would not saw without all three.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Robert Owens

No regrets about buying my mill. I just can't find enough time to saw. Absolutely love it and don't mind the payments because I needed a piece of equipment for tax purposes on the farm. I was a shop teacher for 20 years and this just keeps me from having to buy lumber. I plan to make a solar kiln this year and have already been able to sale some lumber for hay trailers.

justallan1

Quote from: shampjm1 on March 04, 2015, 01:48:33 PM
I truly believe the business is out there and there's money to be made but there's always that second thought. What do you think!
This one sentence kind of scares me in your post.
I bought what was affordable for me with cash, plus I already had 3 different ways that were pretty much guaranteed to make money on it and I kept my day job. Everything went as planned and now I'm upgrading.
If I was to buy an LT40 hydraulic you can bet your last dollar I'd already have contracts or know just exactly right down to the last letter every part of the "Who, What, Where, When and Why".
Good luck to you in succeeding in your new adventure.

shakebone

Hi to everyone newbie here on the forum but owner of two orange machines and full time sawyer  . get as much mill and options as u can set works is great accuser is better the debarker will save u blades in nasty logs and usually on sale with orange mills  :)
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

4x4American

Don't fret.  It is something that will pay you back, and if all else fails, it won't depreciate rapidly like a vehicle does, it will hold it's value well. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, shakebone.  How about sharing some more about your sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!