iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

level or 10°

Started by LeeB, November 19, 2017, 01:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Thanks Butch,
That was a great story you just told, someday I hope to find a old gear drive and some 1/2" pitch chain. That would be something so valuable to own.
I'm a member on a Australia chainsaw buy and sell site and I can't believe the ammount of saws new and old they have down under.  I'm keeping my eyes open for the right saw, but don't want to overdue it and start hoarding  :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 21, 2017, 11:01:04 AM
...I'm keeping my eyes open for the right saw, but don't want to overdue it and start hoarding  :D

Working hard to keep that CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) under control?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on November 22, 2017, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 21, 2017, 11:01:04 AM
...I'm keeping my eyes open for the right saw, but don't want to overdue it and start hoarding  :D

Working hard to keep that CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) under control?
Yes it's not easy John,
But I never saw myself as a chainsaw collector and hope I'll never become one.
I have always bought my saws new to make a living with and usually hang onto them for decades.
The motorcycle engine saw I built 34 years ago and still own today was for play only, but it did pay for itself over the years.

I do plan over this winter and next year to sell all my Husqvarna's and a few old Stihls and Jonsereds.
My 1990s 090AV with the latest style AV handles I'll have a problem parting with along with my 1989 044AV  and 1986 064AV .
With a clean slate I'll keep my new MS261CM and hopefully have a new MS462 by next year. Even if I have to buy it from outside of North America.
The MS500 fuel injected will probably be the last saw I'll ever buy.
For a top handle battery saw I will have to keep my Husqvarna T536 LiXP for now until Stihl introduces a top handle battery saw.
One antique gear drive saw to display on my shelf that is a tough decision. Only time will decide my choice.

John Mc

Sounds as though you've decided that for this round anyway, Stihl has jumped ahead of Husqvarna. (I have been following your 550XP vs MS261 comparison thread.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on November 22, 2017, 03:06:26 PM
Sounds as though you've decided that for this round anyway, Stihl has jumped ahead of Husqvarna. (I have been following your 550XP vs MS261 comparison thread.)
I always was a Stihl man . Only got side tracked a little over 10 years ago when my Stihl dealer sponsor was replaced by a Husqvarna dealer for my chainsaw competitions I've been organizing and running for the last 20 years.
But now my sponsor dropped Husqvarna and I'm not sure yet who my sponsor will be for my events in February 2018.
But having owned all those Husqvarna's 338XPT T536 Li XP 346XP 550XP 372XP 395XP and the 272XP I now know what I was missing in the 1990's into the 2000's.
It's good to have experience with both brands.
Now all I want is a Stihl top handle battery saw, MS261CM MS462CM and MS500 fi.

Al_Smith

From my experience the 10 degree works well for most chisel chains .The only exception being several "woodsman pro" chains I bought from a previous sponsor of this forum site .On those while they cut better straight across I wasn't too pleased with them  and never bought another .I should have just thrown them away because every so often I use one by mistake .It takes me about one cut to realize the error of my ways .

Kbeitz

Found this in the junkyard...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Disston"straddle" scratcher chain

Duane(Pa)

Interesting that they added a capital C since they were using degrees. Proof reader must have been thinking temperature not geometry?

btulloh

YOu don't see that every day.  What was it used for?  Besides scratching.
HM126

Al_Smith

It's just a very old style of chain .Mall used a variety of same and perhaps others might have for all I know .Saw chain as other things have evolved a lot over the course of time .

I think by looking at the tooth design it was made to pull sawdust as opposed to chips because of this .I have only seen two or three examples of scratcher chain used on antiques saws ,a big Disston with a 6 foot bar and a Mall model 6 with a 4 foot bar .In spite of the fact those saws where heavy and slow they cut  at an amazing speed considering their age .

Thank You Sponsors!