iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying car in New York State

Started by Dale Hatfield, June 29, 2008, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

Ok so we live in ohio . Buying car in New York from a friend. We will need a tempory tg to get it home as I dont have the title yet. So will I have to pay sales tax in NY to get tag? Or just buy the tag and get 30 days to get tags and pay sales tax in Ohio.
NY residents where do I go to get a temp tag and whats involved?

Thanks
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

mike_van

Dale, on google.com, search NY DMV, you can probably get a lot of info there.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

DanG

Don't know about the tag situation, but I know how I would handle that part.  On the sales tax, I only know how it is here.  If I buy a car in Georgia, I have to pay their 6% sales tax.  Fla has a 7% tax, so I have to pay the additional 1% to them when I register the car.  Now that is if I buy from a dealer.  If I buy from an individual, I pay the whole 7% to Florida.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ironwood

I know from Ohio to Pa. you get a temp tag (ohio) and use that until you apply for the Pa. title, you then pay the sales tax in Pa..  That is how it work here, I would assume it would be similar.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Engineer

I've bought new cars in NY and registered here in VT.  NY won't charge me the tax but I have to pay VT tax. 

Dale Hatfield

Well Bought the car. 1999 VW bug Diesel .  Bought in NY with Ohio Title and Im in Pa for a long run.
So right now I have the only Diesel Golf cart on the grounds.
Thanks 
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Sawyerfortyish

When we bought my pickup in upstate NY it was just easier to put it on a trailer and bring it home. The temp tag would have involved going to get the title in nothern NY then to Albany then to NJ then back to upstate NY to drive home the truck.

woodmills1

I met my brother in massachusetts last week so I could get my Mom's Scion he had brought up from Jersey.

I went to town hall to register it in new hampshire, it has jersey plates and registration

The clerk asked for the title, and when I told her it is with toyota due to having a loan on it.  She told me I was out of luck, no title no registration.

Guess I have to pay the loan off :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!