iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is there any kind of a market for pith elm that has a 48" butt

Started by air1514, December 07, 2011, 09:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

i cut a pith elm that has a 48" butt log and another 40" log and then 3 smaller logs. not sure of the feet they would saw out but it should be more than 1000bf.   the owner of the tree says that it would make a beautyful table or something and hes convinced its worth alot.  the sawmill in my area that i take all my sawlogs to said pith elm wasnt worth sawing and he culled the 40" in and the smaller logs. i will go back and get those culled logs if i can sell them.  all the logs are solid and clear. my question is--   are the logs worth anything at all. and do they make pretty lumber if they were sawed by a private mill. ill post a pic if i can figure out how.

WDH

I think that elm has a beautiful grain.  The wavy bands of latewood pores create a unique effect that only elm has.  It is hard to dry because elm has spiral grain, and the lumber is prone to twist and warp, one reason that it is not a popular sawlog.

Think about sawing slabs, some 2" and some 3" thick and as wide as possible.  Then, if there is some warp, there is enough thickness to flatten the dried slabs.  I think that elm, once dry and stable, would make a really nice table.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

air1514

this is the stump

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY IN JPG FORMAT. USING THE DOCUMENT ATTACHMENT MANAGER FOR PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Al_Smith

Elm makes the most excellant planks for loading equipment .The stuff will bend like rubber before it breaks and is nearly split proof .Oak will just plain break once it's over loaded ,never gets any lighter  and splits out the ends when it does dry out .

air1514

here are a couple more pics of the butt log

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY IN JPG FORMAT. USING THE DOCUMENT ATTACHMENT MANAGER FOR PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

[attachment deleted by admin]

SPIKER

AIR:

the pics should be in JPG format for most people to be able to view them.  the windows pic viewer didnt work correctly for mine.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ironwood

"worth alot", well perhaps after milled dried and marketed. See walnut Youtube thread ;D

I could be neat, but he gotta get find someone who wants it,....in the 4000+ lbs log form :D. I would give a little for it if it were just down the street. The whole opportunity cost equation comes to mind, close, cheap, worth a "try". If it were delivered to me, maybe $150. If i gotta bring truck, w/ crane, $25-75, if it were down the street. Is that alot? to me it is alot, I sit on alot of wood that doesnt have ready markets. So it has little value.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!