iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40 Acres of White Pine

Started by HoosierAirman, February 28, 2006, 10:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoosierAirman

I have a stand of White Pine (about 42 acres) in Perry county Indiana.  Trying to clear off 54 year old trees before I seperate and move back home.  Average Diam ranges from 15-18" and quite a few <.  Anyone know of any mills in southern Indiana or northern Kentucky that might have an interest in these trees.  Thanks for any replies!

Jeff

White pine? Seems like a strange area for white pine.   Are you talking about a marital seperation?  If so a company or individual has to be very careful how they would approach a property with that situation hanging on the horizon
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

HoosierAirman, Scott AFB, Separation ???  Sounds like a brother airman getting out and heading back home.  Welcome aboard HA 8)

Scott AFB was my point of enlistment. Then off to Keesler and then Elmendorf.  Nice to see another AF vet on the FF.  Thanks for your service.

Your best bet may be to contact the IN state Foresters and have them put you in touch with the right folks to ensure you get what they are worth.

White pine is common in Southern Illinois so I assume Southern Indiana is the same. 

So what do you do over at Scott? 

Jeff

I suppose I should not be so quick to assume. Cant remember the last time I may have saw plantation white pine, or pure stands of that age.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

A lot of white pine plantations planted around in the CCC days of the 30's. There were some good sized white pine trees in a plantation in Illinois around Oregon, IL at a forest called Sinnissippi. Was there on trip in the early 80's and they had large white pine trees in this plantation, but could find no market for any of the wood. Pulp markets too far away. These trees had been well managed and pruned manually. Fair amount of quality wood there, but at the time, no one interested. They were thinning the plantations at that time, but believe they were hoping to get some post products out of them. Maybe others have followed the efforts since that time about 23 years ago.
I googled the name and found a Christmas Tree business under that name. Not sure what happened to the rest of the Forest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Call Jeff Roll at Westwood, English In.  They saw a good bit of white pine.
Contact Earl McCleary district forester at Cannelton.  He can give you lots of good info.  He can get you a list of consulting foresters. He can also get you a list of loggers.  Leiberings at Lamar In also do a good bit of pine logging.

There is a good bit of pine growing in So In. both SYP and white pine.  Pulp mill at Hawesville Ky is buying I believe.  Earl can help you with who is buying pulpwood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

HoosierAirman

My great grandpa farm the area.  He wore the till out pretty good so when my dad was about 10 he and the family planted the fields in white and red pine.  Red pine hasn't faired to well.  Some of the white pines are monsters.  If i can't make an adequate profit, I was going to start hauling firewood up Oscoda Michigan (where my wife is from) and could probably make a good profit from the party stores up there selling the city folks from detroit some good fast burning smokey pine.  I was stationed up there for awhile.  I am a mechanic by trade but a desk jockey here at scott I design communications shelters and manage their logistics and refurb actions for HQ AMC (MAC).  I got 11 months to go and I feel like I am just getting out of high school and don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  The only difference is my hair is a heck of alot shorter.  Thanks for the replies all, I really do appreciate it.

John Jarboe

Woodhog

There are a lot of big old monster White Pine where I am working...

They must be hundreds of years old...

I dont cut any because the price is so low.. 300 per Mbfm in the lumber store it is around
1900 dollars dry in boards...
The 300 is for the best of the best.
There are 2 or 3 other grades that go down to 150.00

The market is very weak for some reason ??????

Also I dont think my Patu 577 loader would handle a 16 foot butt log of that stuff..

They buy for a few weeks and then shut you off without notice..

The tops make an awful mess around the woods if they have two or three from earlier
damage to the leader...

I cant figure out why there is no market though???

SwampDonkey

Woodhog, who's your market down there? Does Irving buy white pine down there? I think you can deliver logs to any of their mills, such as Sussex. The price is around $500/th for grade 1, 10" top min, 12', 14', 16'. If you talked to the right guy, he might even truck them.

[snip]
I was just checking the SNB Wood Coop site in Sussex and Irving isn't buying I guess. I would think they would be hungry for white pine. But, oh well. A guy never knows what they're going to pull.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!