iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

404 timberjack

Started by spencerhenry, February 09, 2010, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

i recently ran across a timberjack 404. the guy says it is a 75. has a 4 cylinder detroit, allison trans with torque converter, eaton axles, and a gearmatic winch. i has been sitting for about 1.5 years. the guy said it quit one day, and it was determined that it needed a lift pump. so they put a lift pump on it, and never hooked up the fuel lines. while looking at it, i hooked up the fuel lines, they just need to be tightened. oil looked good, trans oil looked good, overall machine looks pretty good. has all the sheet metal, no visible cracks, no major leaks, 3 of 4 wheel seals are clean and dry, one is only lightly wet. all the gauges are intact, for its age it looks good. 23.1x26 tires, one good one, two crappy ones, and one looks like an ag tire.
i dont know much about a 404, or about timberjacks in general. is this machine a decent machine? i can probably get it for $3000 or less. i already have 2 skidders, but one is huge and the other is getting really tired. worst case scenario what is this thing worth parted out?

captain_crunch

The 404 had a 4-53 detroit and they are a horse with the long wheel base. But they only have 1 steering cylinder and when in a bind(generaly found over bee's nest) will not turn well. One neet feature is they have a feature called a winching brake,by pumping break pedal twice it locks transmission and relaeses when you put trans in gear.
One thing I would check is did lift pump quit or did blower drive shaft shear spline quite common unless it has been upgraded to the 6 spline set up. I have one setting here that has that issue. 3000 is about all is is worth. Winch will be the hot item if parted out the mod 19 gearmatic is a strong winch and fitts lots of different machines
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

cuznguido

Gee guys don't let a blower shaft deter you from fixing and running those things.  Putting a shaft in one of those is dead easy and not very expensive.  Just replace the couplers and flex plates on the ends while you are at it.

Thank You Sponsors!