iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

400 Acres of Burned Timber mostly Oaks

Started by Tom Levens, August 14, 2014, 06:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Levens

Thoughts and feedback please about what to do with 400 acres of burned oak trees? Can this wood be used to make lumber, Posts and Beams or Firewood?

Seems to me if the trees are bug free they should be good? Can I think of them as standing kiln dried trees? Does a fire damage the value of the timber for lumber?

Firewoodjoe

I'm sure a lot depends. Who your selling it to and what they use it for. Around here the Amish will by anything that is solid and straight enough for 7 foot 5x's and of course great firewood. Though may be sooty for the customer but id sell it. Grade?? Hmm depends on the heat of the fire I guess. Not sure good luck

WDH

The wood inside will be far from kiln dried.  Even though dead, the wood will still have a lot of moisture inside, and it will have it for a long time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

If your Oaks are the type desired for Wood chunks or chips for the BBQ and Smoking crowd that would be a viable market.  Contact some of the bigger suppliers to see if there would be some interest.  Maybe even bag and brand your own.  Talk about making lemonade outta lemons. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!