iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Boat

Started by metalspinner, January 04, 2011, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Just call me Skipper. :D sail_smiley

I've been saving my pennies and just picked up this little boat today. ;D  Craigslist has been peppered with these over the past couple of years and I just decided to pull the trigger.  This particular boat was not on CL.  I picked it up from a small boat shop.

It's a 1976 14' Aluminum V-hull.

The trailer is much heavier than I've seen on CL for these little boats.

The motor is a 1957 10hp Johnson and runs like a top. 8)

The inside is super clean though it does need a bit of attention.  The trolling motor is kaput and all of the wiring on the boat and trailer need replacing.  I'm picturing ERC for the bench seats and making an ERC grate for the floor.  That should keep our feet out of the puddles.

When the weather warms up, maybe I'll splash a coat of paint on it so we look high class puttering around the lake. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

That's a great find for a fishing boat, Metalspinner.  10horse is a plenty to get you around most lakes and will let you take advantage of smaller rivers and creeks that the big boats can't use.  Fourteen feet is just right for a Daddy and his Boy to use and a Momma can even show up now and again without making it tipsy.

My 14 foot was driven by a 9.5 Evinrude and it took me many a mile on a little bit of gasoline.   When I was a young fellow, down in Ft. Pierce, there was a saying that a Mercury would get you there first.  But, if you wanted to come home, you best have a Johnson or an Evinrude.  :D

One thing that comes in mighty handy on those little boats is a seat with a back on it.

You will find that the ERC grate in the bottom will make it a lot quieter too.

A 5 gallon bucket makes a great sea anchor.

Good Show!

doctorb

Metalspinner

I've got an old Johnson 9.9 hp motor up at our cabin in Canada.  I don't know its age, maybe 5-10 years younger than yours by the look of the cover.  Check to see if the gas tank for the motor has the gas lines permantently attached to the tank - not able to be removed.  If so, these gas cans are getting scarce.  Their seal / gaskets are corroding or dry rotting over time, and, if they can't hold pressure, your motor stops running.  (As I recall the hoses are attached by a flat plate to the top of the can.) I obviously don't know what your motor's hook-up is, but you might perform a pressure test on the can or have someone at a marine repair shop to do it.  (My memory is a little foggy here, the plate may have been welded.???)

I had to buy a used one on eBay when ours went bad (approx. $60).  The word from our marina up north was that the motors run forever, but the gas cans are a continuing problem over time.  The guys at the marina did not consider them repairable, so the only solution was to by a used one.  I don't think that they were trying to get me to buy a new outboard, but you never know!  ;D  What was nice about the used one I purchased was its size....I think it only held 2.5 gallons as opposed to the 5 gallon size.  No need to carry around that much gas with these motors... you could fish for a week on 2.5 gallons, in my experience. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

What a great fine Chris.  I see many hours of pleasure ahead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Yes, the old pressurized tanks are getting rare. they actually have two lines, thats a good way to tell what you have. Rather then suck gas from the tank, one line pressurizes and pushes gas up the other. They were done away with because they were deemed dangerous and replaced with the one line system. Around here they used to be in great demand by the demolition derby guys.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

i had/ have an old johnson seahorse 18 hp. that uses that set up. when i got it the tank fitting was trash. i just put a new style end on the fuel side and hooked it to a new plastic tank. drilled a small hole in the new plastic tank and installed a small copper line that would shove up into the air side of the hose. that would pressurize the new tank.

i didnt stop to think that the plastic would not hold the pressure like the old metal tanks. about halfway accross the lake my dad was pointing back behind me all big eyed. when i looked around the plastic five gallon tank would have easily held 8.4 gallons :o

i learned to run the motor with the plastic tank by using the relief valve on top craked just a bit. motor ran fine and you could only hear the hissing at slow idle.

doctorb

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like the two-line set-up.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

You have a great little boat.  8)

I have a 16' footer my brother has taken possession of and I have a 7.5 HP Evenrude. I think it's mid 80's model motor, upgraded from a 6HP Johnson. We used it salmon fishing with an anchor line to drift down through the salmon pools. My tank is one line with a primer bulb. The motor is like new and I have had offers, but not enough. ;D My boat has seen a lot of abuse and is 40 + years old, not as nice looking as yours metalspinner. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Are you going to get in the sinker cypress bussiness  ;D
Bill

WDH

Next thing you know, Chris will be on Axmen  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteAre you going to get in the sinker cypress bussiness

:D  On the test drive, we passed a couple of big 'ole logs in the water.  Don't think it didn't cross my mind. ::)

Doc,
The tank appears to be as you described - 2 lines, pressure bulb that needs to be primed,etc.  But there is a quick disconnect on the motor from the tank.  The tank held pressure while on the ride, but who knows for how long?

What do you guys think is the real danger of this pressurized system?

metalspinner

WDH,
I try to do my best not to show up on the television.  For the most part, I have succeeded. :-X

Jeff

Quote from: metalspinner on January 04, 2011, 06:52:46 PM

What do you guys think is the real danger of this pressurized system?

Explosion and fire. :D  Pressure and gas creates an explosive vapor. Leaks in the system make it available to an outside ignition source.

We ran them for years and never had an incident, and personally, I would not hesitate to run one again. Just make sure your hose and tank seals are in good condition. Cracks and checks in the hose and bulb can't be tolerated. I think the danger of getting stranded from a failed hose is greater then a fire.

Norm

I remember my first boat too, enjoy yours Chris!

CX3

ive dragged a many fish over the side of a cheap little jon boat.  Good luck and have fun and thats a nice first boat. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

doctorb

Never had a problem, and I let my kids use it still.  If you are out running and she starts to miss and spurt, pump up the pressure in the can with the button or bulb(whichever you have) and she'll get you home.  I would not smoke around these units, however.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WildDog

Metalspinner congrats on the boat, a good size as Tom said, good to get up those smaller creeks and tributaries.

Pasbuild that video had my wife and I laughing, one of the funniest i've heard in a long time, :D looks like I need to get a Johnson, pitty I don't have a real boat yet, only canoes.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Fishing from a Chestnut, Evenrude motor

Atlantic Salmon

;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

We have some advantages living here, but good freshwater fishing isn't one of them. Other places in NZ a boat like that would be great on the lakes, but here it's open ocean fishing.

Got some fresh fish today from my buddy, but he has a 17ft boat with 120hp Yamaha on it. About the minimum to leave the harbour here  ;)

But for the small lake stuff.  Excellent   8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doctorb

Swamp-

Is that a Chestnut transom mount canoe?  If so, why are you two standing in it?  I know the beam is pretty wide, but it's still a canoe, isn't it?  Yes, the outboard helps steady it some, but it's still a canoe, isn't it?  If that's you, it confirms every bit of crazy nuance I have learned about you on the FF.   And no, I have no fear of water and swim quite well!  Common sense just ain't that common!  Nice pic though.  Doctorb

SwampDonkey

It's not me, and it is a Chestnut, I was in a Miller sailing on past these guys. We were all on lottery draw to fish here. I was with my grandfather. Yes, this fellow in the canoe down on the motor end is the owner, also a fishing guide as was my grandfather. Not pertinent to this trip, as no guide was needed. Standing in a canoe with a pole was the old way of going upstream in my grandfather's younger years. The danger of falling out is swinging from an anchor point across the flow and striking a rock, or falling asleep in a lounge chair rocking on the keel of the boat. My grandfather did both over the years and he said it happened to him each time (twice) on this river. :D That water is like ice cycles in the summer. This river has about 16 foot deep pools on the river bends. The big salmon only go this far upstream.

metalspinner

Here are a couple of pics from the maiden voyage with the kids.  Yes, they have life jackets on under their coats.  There was a cold breeze on lake yesterday.

Here is the big ole log I mentioned earlier.

These are also pics from my first trip on the Java Uploader.  Somehow, though, all the pics from the browse folder were uploaded.

One of the strange things about this little area of the lake are the houses on either bank.  One side of the lake is Knox County the other is Blount County.  What a difference in property values!

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!