iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky L65

Started by Robertmac, March 09, 2018, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertmac

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 11, 2018, 11:25:22 AM
Yes I lost many long half written posts. No auto save here.
Easy sorted out the problem, do my posts in word, then copy and paste.
Losing written posts is a server issue with the server direct to the person as the system works on the fly and has a built in timer to refresh after a certain while.
This is a common problem with pre-written scripts on forums which over the years I learnt to just copy and paste so as not to invoke the timers set-up on a lot of forums.
I notice the coding on this website does not let the poster enter paragraphs or line spaces for easier reading as it groups all text to lines and removes spaces when it uploads text to save space on the server.
Text on a forum takes up no room on a server, so no reason to group all text into lines with-out a space between paragraphs, only images, ads and media files use space and time on a server.

Robertmac

Quote from: thecfarm on March 11, 2018, 10:52:22 AM
Jeff does a great job to help out members that has slow connections. I use to have dial up,no idea how slow,but slow,and he thinks about us with slow connections. Mine is not the best now, but it's all we can get.
Use the Copy and Paste as you post. Some members will type a long post and than lose it. :o And I think they have fast internet.
I knew when I moved here I was going to suffer a bad connection speed as I knew the phone line to this house covers some miles away from the main junction box, which it turns out is 16 miles away from me.
My house is at the end of a no through road and is well of the beaten track and isolated in the hills here. (The welsh people here call them mountains) I have a phone lifeline this end as I am severely disabled and fall over a lot, where the system monitors my medication and falls as I have a pendant and armband which is also part of the phone system.  I fall a lot owing to  nerve damage and a bit of a wonky body these days. A couple of times the falls were bad as I have came to in an ambulance wore than once since my accident. (read my profile, it will explain a bit better than here.)
I have the same as the old dial-up speed, which in the days were .056 mb's per second, (56 KB's per second in those days), so I am back to dial up speed here.
Fibre optic is in progress in my area but my house is out of the reach they are covering and I have no intensions of paying £60 a month for a satellite connection.
I have a constant speed of 0.06 to 0.07 mb's per second which never drops so it may be slow but at least I can leave it on download for days and it will eventually give me the media file I want.
I cannot stream any media, but I download everything to watch in my own time so not a problem.  Even on youtube I still have to download videos and they have different file sizes for different speeds, but the low speed file is severely stripped out (compressed) and not worth watching as it is all blocky and poor quality.

Robertmac

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 11, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
Welcome to Forestry Forum Robertmac. It's great to hear from other woodcutters from other parts of the world.
Thank-you for the warm welcome and also for me it is great to speak to other cutters in different parts of the world.  I was in the US a few times, Michigan, flint, Rochester hills.  My friend moved there in the 90's and it gave me a great place to visit for many a year before my accident.

Robertmac

I still have not cured this old L65.
It is electrical break-down, where now I only have a spark intermittent, nice and blue but this means nothing. Changed the points and condenser, still the same so need a coil.
Now comes the question, where can I find a coil for this saw?

swapped over the carb from a running saw and still nothing.  It will not even run now. held the spark-plug to the body and pulled her a good few times and only saw a spark once in all the pulls.
I will change the spark-plug lead but this is 99% positive to be the coil itself which started breaking down giving me the impression it was carb related.
Hence when I had her cutting under load is when it started spitting at full rev's and now she will not even fire anymore.

sawguy21

Check the wire to the switch for bare spots that may be touching metal and the switch itself. It is likely worn and may be closing intermittently from vibration.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Robertmac

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 16, 2018, 12:35:08 PM
Check the wire to the switch for bare spots that may be touching metal and the switch itself. It is likely worn and may be closing intermittently from vibration.
I wish it was that simple, but the coil itself is cooked. put it on top of the log-burner for a few hours and tried it and it worked perfectly till it cooled down again and bingo, no spark.
Found another one on eBay that is still attached to the saw, so will buy the saw and then just keep my one for spares.

Robertmac

I started a thread for help on this old saw but I was waffling a bit.
I have done a few tests now and hopefully worked out how to restore her back to 100% condition.

The image will let you see the saw is near mint condition, which will be 26 years old to me and however many years before me the Forestry Commission of Scotland owned it.

I have used a coil and plug tester to determine the spark is weak and intermitted.  The spark is only a faint yellow/orange and very dim.

Bought a new contactless ignition coil system, not exclusive to this one saw so still have to fit it into the saws wiring system and a new coil which are as rare as hens teeth to find now anywhere in the UK. (Tried new condenser but still faint spark)

Paid £20 delivered for the ignition module from the US to UK and paid £44 for coil delivered from Germany to the UK.
Small price when you think a new pro saw of this cutting power and daily running of flawless effort will set you back between £400-£700 per saw. (Second hand £200-£400)

I am retired now due to RTA so I can run these on my own property and any farmers or land owners around me on there land as I am cutting for firewood/beams and planks for myself and not as a job.

I'll document the rebuild with photos for all to see, as this will work with almost any powersaw or small engine using a points system for the spark.
Husky, stihl etc.

HolmenTree

Looking forward to your rebuild Robert.
I hope the new electronic module works out for you.
For decades there has been after market modules sold to replace the old point and condensor systems.
Atom was one brand I remember .

I have a 066 that I acquired for free a couple of years ago. The owner rebuilt it with new main bearings and new ignition module but still wouldn't run for him.
It turned out when the crank bearings got bad the flywheel started rubbing on the module as the gap is so close at .008"-.010"

The magnets on the flywheel were blue and from putting a wrench on them they were very weak in magnetic pull. So I need a new 066 poly blade flywheel  which I don't have. Something else I just learned.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Robertmac

Thanks Holmen Tree,

Started the swap over and very easy to do.  Just do not allow yourselves to use the stupid twist cap to join two wires together.
I have done all wires with new terminals to fit into the original system instead of the poor quality and down right dangerous stupidity of a cap wire twister to join two wires together, on something that has a flywheel turning at upto 7,000 revs per min with-in millimetres of said twist cap!!.

I have gone for a safe and industry standard of mechanics and electronics to make sure this unit itself is not poorly fitted when down the road it vibrates itself lose as will happen if you use the parts in these kits as they are the nastiest, cheapest crap from a third world country I have seen for a while, then sold in the west as outstanding and superior.  Like everything nowadays which is deliberately made to break down to keep feeding the hunger of greed and consumerism.

First forum I have seen where your images are not part of your post so how do others looking in see the images?

If I can't see then in front of me when reading a post then I leave the post, so moderators how is this happening in this forum?
Why are peoples images in a folder that is not viewable to the general public reading the posts?
But plenty of advertising images plastered into every single space with-in your forum pages!!!!

Robertmac

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice on this problem I had.

I have fixed the L65 now and she runs sweet as the day she was first put in storage some 26 years ago by me.

It was electrical that was the entire problem, nothing to do with carb or blocked jets or pipes.
The coil had starting breaking down, only giving a spark about every 1 out 4 engine revolutions.
Hence she started spitting under load at first, but progressively got worse, as the spark was intermittent, the more revs I gave her the worse it became and at idle she seemed as if nothing was wrong.
Stripped out the points and went for an electronic ignition module and what an actual difference in performance.
It revs quicker and sounds as if she was only taken out of her box yesterday.

Look at the pictures as somehow me are not allowed them in our posts.

Forums are for help and advice and being able to communicate to others who share the same interests so why is forestry forum NOT allowing images attached to posts when every other forum in the world is coded to allow this.  this is an internal decision by the person who runs this forum, and nothing to do with the coding of said forum.
I cannot see a single image I uploaded to an album to explain what I did and how I did it, so how can others see them!!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: Robertmac on March 27, 2018, 10:18:50 AMFirst forum I have seen where your images are not part of your post so how do others looking in see the images? If I can't see then in front of me when reading a post then I leave the post, so moderators how is this happening in this forum? Why are peoples images in a folder that is not viewable to the general public reading the posts? But plenty of advertising images plastered into every single space with-in your forum pages!!!!
Quote from: Robertmac on March 31, 2018, 02:49:49 PMForums are for help and advice and being able to communicate to others who share the same interests so why is forestry forum NOT allowing images attached to posts when every other forum in the world is coded to allow this. this is an internal decision by the person who runs this forum, and nothing to do with the coding of said forum. I cannot see a single image I uploaded to an album to explain what I did and how I did it, so how can others see them!!

Boy have you proven yourself to be an idiot in this topic about this forum and me.  Next step ban?  Try me. Nah, never mind. I'm getting old and don't have the patience for dipsticks. G'bye dipstick you don't belong here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!