iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Somebody said you had a Wide head.......

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 15, 2018, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

@starmac  it was no longer available when I had to do my engine replacement.  Had I known the difference I would have bumped up to the larger engine that was available then.  It would have cost a few thousand more, but I would have done it.  Now I hope that I never have to do another engine replacement.  This one was spec'ed out to be a 38hp, and the turbo was a 40hp.

My old engine is now somewhere in Africa.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

I understand, man it looks like they could come up with a good engine and stay with it, but I know economics and government regs, just throws a monkey wrench in the whole works, sometimes.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

It's my understanding that engine manufacturer support or lack thereof is the driving force behind many of the engine changes.  I can think of little worse than Poston's situation with sawing to do and having an engine failure and not getting a prompt response from the manufacturer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

All I know is, with Poston's new "Widehead" moniker, every time I see it I am reminded of how my Grandpa always described someone he thought was homely- "about two feet between the eyes"😂 Appropriate in this case as well, perhaps, with that wide head goat😁

If I ever have to replace my Lombardini 40hp (same engine MM had), I will probably try to find a 40hp Kubota to replace it with, or even a 40hp Duetz if it wouldn't take too much fabricating and modification to make it work. I'm very happy with the Lombardini, but they are no longer available.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

By that, I mean the 40 horse turbo is no longer available.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 16, 2018, 06:07:43 PM
David,

As I understand you can cut up to 36". If this log is indeed 39" I assume you will have to Bibby off a thin slice off one or two sides. Is that what you will do or did he want it squared up into boards or one live edge? (From what I've seen on it so far it sounds like the customer did want thick slabs.)
Yes I will have to bib the sides off but not much. There is a mantel coming out of the center without live edge.
The slabs will have live edge which will come from the top and bottom of the Mantel.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I believe the wide is rated for a 40" log, and 34" between the guides. 

I sawed a bunch of lumber with a 34 hp Kubota and.045" Turbo's. It did well even in wide white oak. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

Quote from: Magicman on March 16, 2018, 06:48:13 PM
It's my understanding that engine manufacturer support or lack thereof is the driving force behind many of the engine changes.  I can think of little worse than Poston's situation with sawing to do and having an engine failure and not getting a prompt response from the manufacturer.
Yes, I understand that, but he would have never had trouble if not for the regulations. Several years ago I bought a troybuilt tiller, the very next year they had to quit using the kohler and go with a briggs I believe because the 8 horse kohler would no longer pass epa regs. I guess they thought we were going to farm hale the country with them tillers, and pollute the world.

WV Sawmiller

David,

I did the same thing with the mantel in my big walnut log yesterday and that really worked well. I got good 9/4 slabs above and below that cut. I was going to cut it 4" but as we got closer and I could get better measurements (Was not familiar with the wider slabber kerf) it worked out 4.5" centered the pith. Of course now I have a nearly 600 lb mantel/slab.

Did your customer seal that cherry log good? I find cherry to be one of the worst woods I cut to end check. Ash is about the next worst. Sure would be nice to have a lot of that SYP like you guys get that doesn't know the meaning of checking. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 16, 2018, 07:39:44 PMSure would be nice to have a lot of that SYP like you guys get that doesn't know the meaning of checking. ;)
Oh my SYP knows the meaning of checking, cash and credit.  :D :D :D

Southside

Sir Goat - aka @POSTON WIDEHEAD told me that WM won't be offering any engine over 40 something HP from now on - correct me there please on that.  I am looking at larger mills, leaning toward a super 70 maybe later this year at the earliest before I am ready to get one, and to me that becomes a major limiting factor when Baker offers a 65HP non turbo and a 75HP turbo.  I am hoping they come to their senses on this.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was told by a rep. from WM that the biggest engine sold on a mill would be the 35.9.

I'm not gonna tell you a fib but when I was told that,  we were talking while looking over my LT40 when it was on the show room floor.
He could have been talking about the LT40 only.....I do not know. I didn't question it because I was looking at my new mill.

Maybe someone from WM will read this and let us know.

But the Blues are a beast!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 16, 2018, 09:54:08 PM
I was told by a rep. from WM that the biggest engine sold on a mill would be the 35.9.

I'm not gonna tell you a fib but when I was told that,  we were talking while looking over my LT40 when it was on the show room floor.
He could have been talking about the LT40 only.....I do not know. I didn't question it because I was looking at my new mill.

Maybe someone from WM will read this and let us know.

But the Blues are a beast! If I ever did change brands it would be a Baker.

starmac

I have heard that rumor too, what I haven't heard is the reason for the down size.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scully

Tier 4 knocked down the HP rating on all the WM mills from what I hear .  My  understanding is the EPA sets the max limit for HP based on several things. That being said I am a huge fan of deleting . I do love my Turbo Kabota though .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

Quote from: barbender on March 16, 2018, 06:56:21 PMIf I ever have to replace my Lombardini 40hp (same engine MM had), I will probably try to find a 40hp Kubota to replace it with, or even a 40hp Duetz if it wouldn't take too much fabricating and modification to make it work

But that may be tougher than just finding an engine.  The engine must be rated for 3000+ RPM and there are very few with that rating.

Kohler now owns Lombardini and they have a Kohler branded equivalent engine available.  I believe that it is the same as my replacement engine and not a turbo.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2018, 08:42:25 AMThe engine must be rated for 3000+ RPM

Or just step up the pulley size on the engine.  That will rob some of the torque so add a little more hp.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barbender

Magic,as long as the HP is there, wouldn't you be able to just adjust drive pulley size to get to your desired blade speed? I know it would take a lot of the headache out of the process just using one of WM's upgrade/replacement kits, but I can get some of the other engines far, far cheaper.

Nomad

I don't know about the LT70, but the biggest engine available on the LT50 now is 35.9, just like on the LT40.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I wonder what the torque specs are. That's more important. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I am no torque engineer but I seriously doubt that just throwing a larger pulley on an engine shaft and expecting the same performance would work.  Maybe that is why I am a user and not a designer.

My comment about the 3K+ RPM was just to point out that my old engine as well as this replacement were both rated for that operating speed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just looked and the Super 70 comes with the 42hp 4 cylinder Yanmar and the only option.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 17, 2018, 04:25:46 PM
I just looked and the Super 70 comes with the 42hp 4 cylinder Yanmar and the only option.
Think that's 46hp
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 17, 2018, 05:28:09 PM
Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 17, 2018, 04:25:46 PM
Think that's 46hp
I stand corrected Sir. You are right. :) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!