iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adding winch for saw feed on my mill

Started by stiff202, January 09, 2011, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiff202

Hey Fellows:

I need some suggestions on making a winch work for me as a power feed for my old manual mill. I have several ideas but would like you'alls help narrowing it down. My thoughts are capstan and cable or rope, chain and sprocket, or running cable front to back and using the winch both ways but the coming back would be to slow. Need help deciding. If any of you have done something like this Pictures are worth lots to me.   Thanks Ron

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Is this for your LT20?  You will want immediate and absolute speed control of the "winch" motor.  Variable forward and a reasonable return rate.  Either one of your ideas should work, just different mechanics.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Ron,your probibly thinking of an electric winch,will likely work, but will drain a battery fast and most winches duty cycle is not rated for constant use.Its very handy to have the feed adjustable.I used a hydraulic motor with a drum and cable feed, completely adjustable, but hydraulics are a considerable expence unless your a scrounger.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

Ron,
Several people on the FF have done this. I did a similar thing with a wheelchair motor and it has worked fine for years. Use the search tool for "wheelchair" or "torque"  and you will get several hits. See my gallery for pics of mine.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Ron,is your bandmill used stationary or do you travel with it.??If your stationary with electric it opens many doors.If you copied the feed systems used on circular mills, especially belsaw, and made it smaller it would work a trick,do a search.The gearbox from an old gravely walk behind or snowblower drive setup can be used.As I stated I used an hydraulic motor because I wanted the hydraulics for outher things too.Sorry on the picture thing mate,some of the brighter members will have to do the visuals. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Just Me

Sailboats use capstan winches for trimming sail, maybe another source? There are boat junkyards around where such things can be picked up cheap.

Thank You Sponsors!