iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does this look legal or even safe!

Started by Bibbyman, September 18, 2010, 05:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

On our way back from the Madisonville, Kentucky forestry show, we stopped east of St. Louis at a truck stop to eat a late lunch.  Coming out,  we spotted this truck train from Wyoming.

It's an early 70's F150 Ford with camper stuffed full.  Note the 110V AC unit sticking out the side of the camper.  What you can see is the log chain holding the hood closed.  On the driver's side is also a couple of chains - one holding a gas can on the side.  The Ranger PU is full of "stuff" the followed up by trailer made from mobile home frame.

YEEEEE!  Haaa!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Okrafarmer

Probably not legal or safe, but looks like a reasonable way to get your stuff moved if you're short on help. . . . . . par for the course for some places and people!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

StephenRice

I think any multiple trailer combination requires, not only a Class A CDL, but also a safe trailer combination. Sheesh!  I hope you timed your departure to be before his!  I would hate to be behind him when that rig twisted like a rope all over the interstate.  I am sure it would look like a sidewinder rattlesnake on crack cocaine going down the road.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Bibbyman

I wish I could have gotten a picture of the driver's side.  You could see more interesting features like the camper filled full with household stuff.  I intended to but there was a couple coming towards the truck and I thought maybe they were the owners.  They paused for us to pull on around.  But really they were looking over the assemblage too, as it turned out.  After we passed, they continued on past the moving wreck and to somewhere else in the parking lot.

Did I mention the truck had Wyoming plates?  One would suspect they had started out from there.  Else they had a long way to go to get home!

In looking at the pictures again,  I thought surely the Ranger was pulling the trailer and had just pulled in close to the F150.  But no..  I asked Mary and she said she looked at it close and it was hitched to the F150.  It looks too close to even be able to turn.
Sawing since '94

StephenRice

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 18, 2010, 07:28:59 PM
In looking at the pictures again,  I thought surely the Ranger was pulling the trailer and had just pulled in close to the F150.  But no..  I asked Mary and she said she looked at it close and it was hitched to the F150.  It looks too close to even be able to turn.

Yeah, I wondered about that as well.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

David Freed

It may not be legal, but it looks like a fine piece of redneck engineering to me.  :D

Jeff

Somehow I had a flash of the Grapes of Wrath.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

Growing up in Ohio in the 1970's we had a neighbor who pulled a,camper with a boat behind that. Legal in those,days according to him I have heard it can be legal today, but the first trailer needs to be a gooseneck or fith wheel.

Ironwood

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DonT

Can see why they did not do drive through.Met a guy camping once  he had a fifth wheel  trailer that he also towed his boat behind(legal here if it is not ball to ball)he towed the boat for 40 miles before he realized the reason the boat was pulling hard was he had no tire.

paul case

was that a sawmill under that blue tarp? i was just waiting for the rest of the story. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

beenthere

Might-a, could-a been that the Ranger broke down just a ways back, and the Ford was used to pull it in off the highway?

Sure can't see the present hookup working for many miles, or getting by any troopers along the way. :D

Thanks for the pic Bibby.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I think that the driver's last name is McCoy.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Why that's just Jed, Jethro, Elly Mae, and Granny headed east for a little vacation with the kin folk.  Why you guys makin fun of there transportation?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: StephenRice on September 18, 2010, 07:30:44 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on September 18, 2010, 07:28:59 PM
In looking at the pictures again,  I thought surely the Ranger was pulling the trailer and had just pulled in close to the F150.  But no..  I asked Mary and she said she looked at it close and it was hitched to the F150.  It looks too close to even be able to turn.

Yeah, I wondered about that as well.

Coming from Wyoming, they may never have realized what it means to turn around, or how hard turning around can be in other states, which have obstacles such as buildings, trees, and variable topography.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sandhills

Well I've done some pretty stupid things in my time but, WOW...  As far as the turning thing goes you're not gonna turn very short anyway I guess.  As far as the camper/boat thing goes I got a little story.  My BIL pulled his boat behind his camper and showed up at dads one day on the way to the lake.  Had a little trouble getting there cause the boat had come unhooked from the camper, but don't worry it was getting drug along down the highway by the safety chains.  Someone flagged him down, helped rehook, issue resolved.  Then at dads realized the awning gone off the side of the camper so I said screws are gone too, not ripped out, someone stole it.  No he said it musta fell off on the way, so in a hurry he unhooks the fifth wheel slams the tailgate and away we go to find the awning.  Minus the tailgate of course :D :D  Trust me I didn't laugh at the time but sure wanted to.  Anyhow made it all the way back to their place, no awning (it was stolen) talked mr. insurance and he said "Tom, make a list of eveything you %^#@ up today and call me in the morning.  Then I had to laugh, couldn't help it ;D

Coon

Betcha that ranger is gettin' some pretty good gas mileage.  ;D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

isawlogs

That set up would not last long on the road here , man your DOT must be on vacation.  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Looks a little bit like the logging operations we used to have in Maine, except both those trucks there are in much better condition and still have their doors!

pigman

The only thing that he should be cited for is not having the blue tarp properly secured. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

Ok, so am I the only one here wondering why in the world Bibby would stop in
East St. Louis for lunch? Are you crazy?!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Warbird

Quote from: Patty on September 19, 2010, 12:27:46 PM

LOL

Bibbyman

I said east OF St. Louis.  From the Mississippi River east for about 10 miles looks post-apocalyptic.  But out further the area looks quite nice and flourishing.   
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

Am i going to be sorry if I ask why !!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bibbyman

Quote from: isawlogs on September 19, 2010, 02:56:39 PM

Am i going to be sorry if I ask why !!!

I don't know why you'd be sorry about asking. 

East St. Louis (across river from St. Louis) is a pretty bombed out area.  We could see 10 story buildings with no guts or windows with trees growing on top and around them.  I read a while back that they let most of what they had for a police force go due to running out of money. 

There are a lot of other places in the St. Louis area you wouldn't want to be stuck in during the day and for sure not after dark.  :o
Sawing since '94

Norm

Marcel when I was working corporate I covered for the guy from St Louis when he went on vacation. First time I went there they told me how to get to Gateway Memorial Hospital in East St Louis. My first indication it was in a rough area was when they told me if I got lost don't stop and ask directions. :D The mobile company I was working with had their van with a chair lift sitting in the er lot and it got stolen with the motor running and the lift down while they wheeled in the ultrasound machine.

To be fair I've been in worse areas. Cook County Hosp comes to mind.

Thank You Sponsors!