iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

soups and sauces

Started by Quartlow, September 08, 2006, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

It's that time of year, canning. I'm looking for a new spaghetti sauce to try. The stuff we made last year was ok but I'm shooting for more of say 5 brothers flavor sauce.

And since the 35 foot row of potaoes yielded about 65 pounds and theres 5 more rows in, Potato soup!!

And a good tomato soup. Bad as this may sound I like cambells so if I could get close to that I would be a happy camper.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

Look at putting up some "tomato crisp" with the green ones that are too late to ripen. :)

Quartlow

I'll bite, whats tomato crisp?  :P
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

Check out the Knowledge Base on Forum extras.

It's a green tomato pickle/preserve that has the texture of a  crisp cucumber pickle but is on the sweet and spicy side.  It's prepared large (in eighth's) and you eat it on your plate as a side to pork, chicken or turkey or snack on them out of the jar.

CHARLIE

Donna and I just finished fixing 3 batches of my "CHARLIE'S ROLL AROUND ON THE FLOOR SCREAMIN', THAT'S GREAT SALSA" Salsa.  It's the 9th batch we've made this year (each batch yields about 4 pints).  All the ingredients came from her garden except the onion and the spices. Once you try my salsa, you'll never be happy with store bought salsa again. ;D

Tomorrow I'm fixing my super BBQ'd ribs with my "Charlie's Jump Up and Holler, That's A Great Dry Rub!"  Dry Rub and slow cooked for 3½ hours with a light smoke of cherry wood.  I'm inviting all my neighbors over for a feast (All 3 of them :D)  We are having the ribs, corn on the cob, baked beans, fried okra, cornbread and a tomato and herb salad with feta cheese. Oh....and plenty of Wobbly Pop. Should be fun!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

katie-did

Quartlow, You mean them DanG muddy dogs did not get all of your Tomatoes?  :D  :D  :D  :D Amazing!!!
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

sawguy21

Charlie, wish I could make it. At least there are no.... potato chips. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Chalie's salsa is some of the best I've ever had. We have made several batches, and each one is "slap yo' mamma" good! :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Quartlow

Not yet they haven't Katie. But it wasn't for lack of trying   :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Paschale

Hey Quartlow,

This has historically been my favorite tomato sauce.  I learned it in an Italian cooking class I took about 15 years ago, and everyone time I come back to it, I'm reminded of how tasty it is.  It's not a thick and chunky sauce, so if you're looking for that, it might not be the right one.  But man, it's tasty!

My Favorite Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
2 yellow onions minced
6 large cloves garlic chopped fine
1/2 # fresh mushorooms, chopped
2 ribs celery with leaves, minced
1 carrot, unpeeled, grated
2 cups dry red wine
6 oz tomato paste
56 oz tomato puree
1 qt chicken stock
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 TBSP dried basil, or two tbsp fresh
2 cloves, whole
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup parsley, chopped fine
simmer for two hours, partly covered

Heat tbsp of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.  Add onions, carrot and celery and sauté until soft and translucent.  Add mushrooms and garlic about two or three minutes into sautéing the veggies, being careful to not let the garlic burn.  Stir often.  Add red wine, and tomato paste, stirring until incorporated.  Add the rest of the oil, and the remaining ingredients, then simmer for two hours, partly covered.

I would suggest reserving half of the salt and pepper until the end, and simply season to taste since the chicken stock has salt in it already, and if you're using canned puree, sometimes this has salt as well.  If you're using fresh tomatoes, simply grind them up in a blender or food processor to make the puree. (You may want to seed them first).  If the fresh tomatoes make the sauce too liquid for your taste, go ahead and leave the cover off and let the sauce reduce to the desired consistency.  (This doesn't make a chunky sauce, so it is fairly fluid).   If you do reduce the sauce, definitely hold off on most of the salt until the end, since reducing will increase the saltiness of the sauce.

Boil up some spaghetti, and enjoy!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Thank You Sponsors!