iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The 372xp: new vs old

Started by Humanaut, April 05, 2019, 05:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humanaut

Hi folks,

I've been in a dilemma for a few weeks now. As with everything I research the crap out of things before making a purchase.

I'll try and give some background and I am hoping for some experienced advice!

I'm in my mid 30's/physically able and live on a country property with a small wood lot, and surrounded by a bigger woodlot (about 20 acres). I mostly do firewood cutting of deadfall, with the occasional felling of dead trees for burning or future problem trees. I also have access to farmers woodlots in the area and I help clear trails, thin woodlots, clear storm damage and buck firewood for their big stoves when I'm looking for something fun to do (yes, this is also a fun hobby of mine).

My first saw is a 261cm. I don't have experience with anything else but I researched it HARD before buying it, really relying on other peoples input on the internet and the dealerships. I am definitely not disappointed, but alas I am not sure if it's the right tool for me (and yes, I treat these as tools, not toys or something to look cool with).  I bought a pro saw for durability and I believe in that type of stuff. If i just wanted to cut a few pieces of firewood I'd buy a stihl 170 for $200 bucks, but I do more.

While I'm not working the saw for hours upon hours everyday, it is seeing action every week to some degree, between 3 and 12 hours  I'd say per week. During all the time I've spent I've realized how much it is wearing me out, because of the constant bending over I'm doing for the TYPE of work I do, which is basically limbing and bucking on the ground and I've always had back and neck problems if I don't check my posture or positioning.

This led me to start looking into a 24 inch bar which will reduce that. I am not concerned so much about the weight of the powerhead because like I said, I am not a logger and am not going tree to tree, falling for hours. I'm going to be walking/limbing and letting the saw hang as I buck wood, even rarely have it up on a jig or a set of saw horses to cut wood, because I buck where I cut basically. I looked into running a 24 inch bar on the 261cm and while you can do it, I didn't like what I read about a loss of performance especially when I can get something that can perform really well with a longer bar.  If there is one thing about tools, I want them to perform as well as they can or as well as I can afford to buy.

I started reading about the 372xp and have had a hard time finding one in my area (southern Ontario, Canada, not much forestry down here... ). I ended up finding a 372xpg which the current owner believes is from 1999, which from the limited material I've found, is probably the first year they made them or at least were available in NA?. He wanted $525 bucks Canadian for it (just the powerhead) and I planned on buying a bar, and getting it serviced. All of a sudden it was looking like $800 bucks. I started looking at new 372xps and decided I'd sell my 261cm to my neighbour, which is a sweet deal because I can still use it when I need/want to.

So as of today, this is my situation/options:

1) I can get a $500 husky 372xpg (heated handles don't work, no other problems reported). This saw is still serviceable from the 4 husky service dealers I've spoken too. I'm curious how much money I might need to put into it for a rebuild if necessary?

2) I can wait until the END OF JUNE for a 2019 372XPGW (Husqvarna is that crappy with shipments it seems)

3) I can pick up a 2019 372XPG in one week from a place with great staff (can I wrap this with an OEM wrap?)

4) I can pick up a 2019 372XP or 572XP right now from a place with good techs but desk staff who are rude, which really bugged me (I know I can wrap the 372xp)

5) From my understanding, the 572 is more of a replacement of the "legendary" 372 than the new 372xp is.

6) I want a wrap for sure. I am a little ambidextrous and have really found myself in positions where I don't like the standard wrap and frankly I can reduce wear on my injured body. Yes, I know wraps are "west coast" accessories but like I said, I want this tool to work for me to the point where I don't really notice it or wonder what it "could be" if I got something else. My current issue is I don't know if i can get a wrap handle "extension" for an XPG, or if I replace the entire handle ? I don't care about heated handles really.

7) I can't find specs on that 1999/2000 husky 372xpg to compare to, but I am willing to bet most of the people here would say that the oldie is still a goodie even though it's 20 years old.

So what do you folks think? I don't want to wait 2 months for a saw, I have spring work to do. Is the 372xpg from 1999 worth it? Can I get a wrap handle on that beast? I know someone is going to reply with "I've ran a 455 rancher for 20 years and have no problem." That is good, but I am looking for some help with my situations and options. I'm sure I'm over thinking it. Whatever I get will work, but know I'm missing something so hopefully people will point it out!

Thanks for taking the time to read the novel.

edit: I forgot I do have a budget. The highest I wanted to go was about $1300 CAD before tax. The new Husky is around 1200 and I felt you get a bit more bang for your buck.

Old Greenhorn

AH, I was just about to put up a post about my own conundrum in regards to buying a 372, and you stole my thunder.  ;D I will let this sit for a day or two so you get some good responses and my post does not detract from that. Yes, I could say I have run a 450 for x years and love it... but I won't do that to you. I understand how you are suffering over the decision as I go through something similar, but not the same. I hope you get some good responses here, you ask some tough questions that require folks with specific knowledge to provide good answers. I wish you the best of luck. It's big money for these saws for those of us that are not bringing in a daily paycheck with them and I feel you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

overclocking

I personally prefer the 372 non xt (older) the cylinder in them respond well to porting and the saws are super reliable. They love to scream. Probably one of my personal favorite saws of all time. They are just fun all around to run.

That being said, if I was looking at new saws I would be looking at the stihl ms462. The 462 are amazing saws, light, fast and just plain fun to run.

I actually am selling my 372 after getting the 462. It's just much lighter and more powerful so I can't justify using it anymore other than for a backup.

Firewoodjoe

1st for that money on a used saw it better be nice and have a bar. At least around here.
2nd the year is on the vin tag. Will say 99.
3rd I don't believe the 572 is anything like the first version 372.
4th I run a 372 xtorqe averyday and it runs well. Just don't have that low end grunt like the old stuff used to.  Good luck be safe and have fun.

Humanaut

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on April 05, 2019, 08:38:12 PM
1st for that money on a used saw it better be nice and have a bar. At least around here.
2nd the year is on the vin tag. Will say 99.
3rd I don't believe the 572 is anything like the first version 372.
4th I run a 372 xtorqe averyday and it runs well. Just don't have that low end grunt like the old stuff used to.  Good luck be safe and have fun.
He said he'd give me a 28 inch bar with a ripping chain for 600, or a 20 inch bar and a full comp  chain but neither is what I planned on using. I have not been able to see the saw as it's a bit of a distance to look at, I guess I could ask him though for the vin. I know it's been through a few hands though (the dude selling it is about 25 I'd say)

Humanaut

Quote from: overclocking on April 05, 2019, 08:18:51 PM
I personally prefer the 372 non xt (older) the cylinder in them respond well to porting and the saws are super reliable. They love to scream. Probably one of my personal favorite saws of all time. They are just fun all around to run.

That being said, if I was looking at new saws I would be looking at the stihl ms462. The 462 are amazing saws, light, fast and just plain fun to run.

I actually am selling my 372 after getting the 462. It's just much lighter and more powerful so I can't justify using it anymore other than for a backup.
I did check out that 462, but it's about 300-400 bucks over my budget! lol 

thecfarm

I just broke my 50cc chain saw,a small saw,but it sure has helped my shoulder out with pain. I have a 372 too,a longer bar would make it worse for me. I don't go far the well I am 6 feet 5 and don't want to bend over story. That is that much more weight to hold out at arms lenght. I will be getting another 50cc saw. I never knew how much that 372 was killing me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Humanaut

Quote from: thecfarm on April 05, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
I just broke my 50cc chain saw,a small saw,but it sure has helped my shoulder out with pain. I have a 372 too,a longer bar would make it worse for me. I don't go far the well I am 6 feet 5 and don't want to bend over story. That is that much more weight to hold out at arms lenght. I will be getting another 50cc saw. I never knew how much that 372 was killing me.
I hear ya, but for me I noticed the work I'm doing I am not holding it out at arms length. You are right, that would be brutal. It's entirely possible I'm working "wrong", but that is how I am working. Walking up and down a log and having to bend over (I forgot to mention I'm using an 18 inch bar) and it's killing my lower back. I actually find my self having to kneel on the ground sometimes which is just not efficient but it feels better lol.  I am really trying to maximize my time and if I can reduce back pain by not having to bend over then I want to start doing it as soon as possible. If I was swinging that saw all around all day then I'd be selling the 261 and buying a plastic built 50cc :D. 

lxskllr

Quote from: thecfarm on April 05, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
Yea, I like the smallest saw I can get away with. Since I've gotten it, my cs400 has been getting a lot more play than my ms362. I don't have any particular problems, unless my back's being an ass, but the saws gain weight as the day draws on. Curious phenomenon  :^D

Inaotherlife

If usin a 261 feels too much like work, here's what you need. Looks like this guy's running a 16" bar.
Testing Stihl's Smallest Pro Chainsaw MS 201C - A Little Beast - YouTube

Then hold out until you find a better deal on a 372. And beware of saws rebuilt with aftermarket parts.
I just recently bought a great running '08 372xp with all OEM parts and 24" bar and chain for 300 usd. Not a saw or deal I see everyday. These saws aren't often seen for sale around here either.
Nice piece for my collection. And real nice to have when I really need it. But I'd sure hate for it to be my only saw.

I don't have the Stihl MS201CEM. But I have a collection of four sub-9 pound saws that see a lot of use.

I have 14 and 16 inch bars for the 009L, CS-361P, and CS-346. For the 2511 I have 12 and 14 inch bars. All these little saws are a joy to use, and all higher quality than a 170.
My 361 and the old Stihl 009L both have power to cut 12 to 14 inch logs. And the saw in the video has even more power.

Another vid with both the 201C and the Echo CS-361P. These are sweet little fun to use saws with more power than you'd expect.

Aarre testasi kaksi kevytsahaa | Aarre 2016 - YouTube

If I was to only have one small saw, it might very well be the 201C.

cliffreaves

I was just in a similar situation. I've been running a 395xp for few years until I scored the piston. (I was having tuning issues and ran it too lean).  Anyway, I didn't have anywhere near the budget that you have so I took a chance on the huztl 372.  I can't recommend it necessarily, because I've only been running it for a month and a half. However, so far I've been very impressed and i spent under $250 including shipping.  It was a risk that has paid off thus far.

weimedog

Quote from: Humanaut on April 05, 2019, 05:34:33 PM
Hi folks,

I've been in a dilemma for a few weeks now. As with everything I research the crap out of things before making a purchase.

I'll try and give some background and I am hoping for some experienced advice!

I'm in my mid 30's/physically able and live on a country property with a small wood lot, and surrounded by a bigger woodlot (about 20 acres). I mostly do firewood cutting of deadfall, with the occasional felling of dead trees for burning or future problem trees. I also have access to farmers woodlots in the area and I help clear trails, thin woodlots, clear storm damage and buck firewood for their big stoves when I'm looking for something fun to do (yes, this is also a fun hobby of mine).

My first saw is a 261cm. I don't have experience with anything else but I researched it HARD before buying it, really relying on other peoples input on the internet and the dealerships. I am definitely not disappointed, but alas I am not sure if it's the right tool for me (and yes, I treat these as tools, not toys or something to look cool with).  I bought a pro saw for durability and I believe in that type of stuff. If i just wanted to cut a few pieces of firewood I'd buy a stihl 170 for $200 bucks, but I do more.

While I'm not working the saw for hours upon hours everyday, it is seeing action every week to some degree, between 3 and 12 hours  I'd say per week. During all the time I've spent I've realized how much it is wearing me out, because of the constant bending over I'm doing for the TYPE of work I do, which is basically limbing and bucking on the ground and I've always had back and neck problems if I don't check my posture or positioning.

This led me to start looking into a 24 inch bar which will reduce that. I am not concerned so much about the weight of the powerhead because like I said, I am not a logger and am not going tree to tree, falling for hours. I'm going to be walking/limbing and letting the saw hang as I buck wood, even rarely have it up on a jig or a set of saw horses to cut wood, because I buck where I cut basically. I looked into running a 24 inch bar on the 261cm and while you can do it, I didn't like what I read about a loss of performance especially when I can get something that can perform really well with a longer bar.  If there is one thing about tools, I want them to perform as well as they can or as well as I can afford to buy.

I started reading about the 372xp and have had a hard time finding one in my area (southern Ontario, Canada, not much forestry down here... ). I ended up finding a 372xpg which the current owner believes is from 1999, which from the limited material I've found, is probably the first year they made them or at least were available in NA?. He wanted $525 bucks Canadian for it (just the powerhead) and I planned on buying a bar, and getting it serviced. All of a sudden it was looking like $800 bucks. I started looking at new 372xps and decided I'd sell my 261cm to my neighbour, which is a sweet deal because I can still use it when I need/want to.

So as of today, this is my situation/options:

1) I can get a $500 husky 372xpg (heated handles don't work, no other problems reported). This saw is still serviceable from the 4 husky service dealers I've spoken too. I'm curious how much money I might need to put into it for a rebuild if necessary?

2) I can wait until the END OF JUNE for a 2019 372XPGW (Husqvarna is that crappy with shipments it seems)

3) I can pick up a 2019 372XPG in one week from a place with great staff (can I wrap this with an OEM wrap?)

4) I can pick up a 2019 372XP or 572XP right now from a place with good techs but desk staff who are rude, which really bugged me (I know I can wrap the 372xp)

5) From my understanding, the 572 is more of a replacement of the "legendary" 372 than the new 372xp is.

6) I want a wrap for sure. I am a little ambidextrous and have really found myself in positions where I don't like the standard wrap and frankly I can reduce wear on my injured body. Yes, I know wraps are "west coast" accessories but like I said, I want this tool to work for me to the point where I don't really notice it or wonder what it "could be" if I got something else. My current issue is I don't know if i can get a wrap handle "extension" for an XPG, or if I replace the entire handle ? I don't care about heated handles really.

7) I can't find specs on that 1999/2000 husky 372xpg to compare to, but I am willing to bet most of the people here would say that the oldie is still a goodie even though it's 20 years old.

So what do you folks think? I don't want to wait 2 months for a saw, I have spring work to do. Is the 372xpg from 1999 worth it? Can I get a wrap handle on that beast? I know someone is going to reply with "I've ran a 455 rancher for 20 years and have no problem." That is good, but I am looking for some help with my situations and options. I'm sure I'm over thinking it. Whatever I get will work, but know I'm missing something so hopefully people will point it out!

Thanks for taking the time to read the novel.

edit: I forgot I do have a budget. The highest I wanted to go was about $1300 CAD before tax. The new Husky is around 1200 and I felt you get a bit more bang for your buck.
All the answers you will get are simply opinions....including mine. Since you wrote a book..:)  A couple of things stand out. First Budget. Second lots of analysis, and third "full wrap" handles.

For me, my humble opinion; you get used to what ever you have a lot of time with so for me a full wrap handle isn't worth any thing.

I bought a heated handle 572 because I wanted one, not because I really needed one. The rational was I work a lot in the winter and I rather have less glove and a heated handle than big clumsygloves and still have my hands frozen as they do get regardless of what I wear.

Old vs. new. I am a hobby type who happens to like to build my saws. Any 372 or 365 is a great starting point if its a clean & complete saw and the cases aren't beat. Worse situation is a 372 X-torq with the bearing pockets beat to the point they don't hold a bearing. I see those and if they are running its easy to get a clue you have an issue if your a mechanical type. I build all my personal use 372's back to OE versions either with the 50 or 51.4mm tops ends. Lighter than the new 372's and I just like them. Again you can rationalize either direction, to XT or to OE. I just prefer OE for a variety of reasons, and that is just MY opinion based on my priorities. Not cast in stone or to be considered a "fact" one is better than the other. You can get online experts to argue ad infinitum about the subject, but usually after the first stated opinion & rational all BS, someone trying to either beat their chest about how smart or experienced they are to make their opinion the most relevant, or trying to sell something. Both versions of 372 make chips and will for as long as you will want to. Both can be modified into a lot of saw. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

But after reading all that you wrote, in my opinion, your going to be tough to please. SO the decision really has to be made up front, are you only going to have one saw? Do you have time even band width to monkey with it? its the buy vs. build question. IF the answer is you aren't in the building mindset and you really are that particular, to me...only my opinion; there is only one answer with the options presented. Buy new. Buy a 572. And another good option would be based on price & availability, 461. A new 372 would be my third option. But all three are good choices. Again just an opinion.

The benefit of building a saw from one of the 372 class starting points is its ALL YOU, and everything is in your control and the only one you have to focus on if things aren't right....is U That's the ultimate in custom saws, roll your own; and the ones you build are ALWAYS the best for one reason or another! It's what i do. :)

( BTW, the 576's are really nice new as well, and some dealers are dumping them as they are to be discontinued. I really like those as well, I personally would pick one of those over a 372, but yet again JUST an opinion....option 4 :), and Dolmars....)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Stoneyacrefarm

Great post weimedog!!
You put exactly what I was thinking in great perspective.  :)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Awesomesince72

I have 3 versions of the 372. The 75 cc Xpw is a wicked work saws ported version and runs good. Currently has 36" skip chisel' 8tooth gear and has plenty of power.
2nd is a modified xtorq. It's a low top air filter version without the wrap handle. It wears a 24" full comp chisel. 
3rd is a stock 372xp. Low top all stock and has 20" bar.
My favorite saw is the xtorq. It just screams with the mods done that I did myself by following directions found here on the site. It runs real close to as fast as my 066 flat top that has some mild porting and weighs a few pounds less. 
The xpw runs great as well but interestingly the xtorq seems to have better low end recovery even though less cc's.
I've bought all these saws used and pay'd around 400us for them with bars. 
Have you tried to find good used saw from someone here on site and have it shipped? Might save you a few bucks.

Humanaut

Thank you everyone!

I did forget to mention I would own two saws. I can get a stihl 170 for $200 CAD as it's on sale. It's going to be the little backup wood cutter. 

As of today, I rented a stihl 441cm which is comparable in weight/specs to the 372 it seems. It definitely is a beast and I would not be able to cut down many trees in a row with it, because of it's weight, BUT, it was a joy to cut with, with my type of work I have to do. The amount of times I had to bend down was reduced drastically and yeah, that extra power just cuts faster! It was a workout for sure, but a different workout than with my 18 inch bar on the 261, one that I could recover quickly from lol. A local farmer who I cut wood for also is going to let me borrow his big 661, so I can give that a shot. 

It's looking like I'll just get a 372xp stock and buy a wrap at some point. I've been watching afleetcommand's youtube videos and the number of 372s that run through his job which have been beaten down for years, so pretty sure little old me will be just fine. 

lol.. i realized I could have probably asked something like "whats the lightest saw that can run a 24 inch bar at close to maximum performance" or something. 

Humanaut

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on April 06, 2019, 10:05:26 AM
Great post weimedog!!
You put exactly what I was thinking in great perspective.  :)
Agreed, thank you Weimedog. Also interesting about modding a bit to reduce weight. Thank you for your reply!

knuckledragger

I've aquired and reconditioned four 372s over the past year or so (lot of loggers in the area). Also, I have real time experience with a 372xp... Outstanding chainsaw. I put a price tag of $300 on all four of the reconditioned 372s, btw two were 2000, one 2010, and one 2011. All were purchased in less than a week. New vs old... my opinion is old. All of that said, I agree with overclocking 461/462. Yes they cost a couple hundred dollars more but your point about health seemed to be priority. So what's a couple hundred dollars? At the end of the day a person can't go wrong with a 372xp.

Humanaut

I thought I'd post an update. 

I ended up going with an echo 620pw. Partly because the dealer is 20 minutes away from my place in the country, little family run business and the guy even went and picked up the saw from the distribution centre an hour away.  Plus the 15% off.

I was still debating between a 572xp and that old 372, but the price was too right for that echo.  Also that 462 caught my eye. 

I also bought a Stihl 170 for 200 CAD. Just went for the lightest and cheapest I could find, and boy oh boy, like other people have said, these little saws can get more use than you think they would.  

Thanks for all the advice folks. We will see how the echo goes. Hoping I don't miss mtronic and auto tune too much...

Thank You Sponsors!