iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Know What Scrap Metal is Selling For?

Started by WDH, January 23, 2008, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I heard the scrap metal market was pretty strong.  Anyone sold any recently, and what is the range of prices?  What should I know as I get ready to market a significant amount of scrap metal?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

farmerdoug

WDH,

What kind of scrap metal are you looking at selling?  I am selling it all of the time.  But type would help narrow it down.  If you are looking at steel and iron, it is up real good right now.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Gary_C

Last I sold was about $90 a ton for whole steel and $140 for cut up steel. Later I found another scrap dealer was paying $140 for everything, cut up or not. I took in about ten five gallon pails of rusty nails and even dumped the water out of most of them and they just threw the plastic pails and all in the back of a mini van and crushed it all.

These scrap dealers are going to farm auctions and buying the old machinery, combines, and heads and just throwing them in the car crushers and shipping them.

Don't know why they are still paying less for uncut steel some places. Check around to find out before you haul anything. And watch them close when they scale your load.  ;D  Just like selling wood.   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

When the neighbors sold the farm next door they had scrap metal strung out behind the buildings and they sold it to a scrap metal company. They were there a week cutting with torches and salvaging. I don't know how much per ton.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

About two months ago at a small local scrap yard I got $90 a ton for complete farm machinery including tires. They paid $140 for cut up steel, but I didn't want to do all the cutting up.They paid a lot more for copper, aluminum, and stainless steel.

In the city they pay more, but I don't like hauling scrap into the city. Some of that scrap might just fall off the trailer and hurt someone.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

farmerdoug

Scrap steel is up.

I am getting 145/ton for sheet and long steel in the dumpster, they haul.  Short steel and cast is 175/ton.

If I haul it to another scrap dealer they are paying 160/ton for sheet and long steel.  Short and cast is 200/ton.

I like the dumpster as there is much less work and time involved.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ronwood

My son sold some copper out of the couple of cars. Had to burn the insulation off. $2.00 a lb. Aluminum wheels $.65 a lb
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

thecfarm

I sold a small blazer for $50 for junk.A few years ago I would of had to pay them to haul it off.Sell it now before the market is flooded and the price drops.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

I had a neighbor come down with four yard logs wanting me to buy them.  He bought the 3 acres next to him and is planning to build a new house.  There is a little shack/house on the site now built about 1950.  The previous owner had one trailer burned and another couple of junk trailers behind the house - plus a school bus and a lot of other derelict junk cars, etc.  He did a "control burn" of the old trailers and cleaned up the scrap. 

Said he got six tons of scrap steel off the place and got $150/ton.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ellmoe

We just sold some #1 steel (cut up) for $.09/lb delivered. We are in Central Fla..

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Weekend_Sawyer

I was cleaning out my basement and part of my yard. My steel was mixed, a burned out stove, metal shelving, buckets of rusty scraps. I got $38 for 1200lb and the scrap yard is closer than the dump 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Larry

Last year before I sold our farm, the realtor suggested I clean up the scrap.  I was perplexed as I didn't have any scrap...just good parts, antiques, and treasures.  The top price was $180/ton for what they called #2...stuff like angle iron and tin.  The rest was going for maybe $120/ton.  If the load was mixed they usually paid the lesser amount.  They made a deduct if the stuff still had a tire on it.  The price might jump $20 one way or the other in just a few days.

I made a deal with a local junker...I pulled the big stuff out of the brush and ditches with the winch on the tractor, helped load, and he did the hauling.  Split the proceeds 50/50.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ely

i know here a man can sell all the appliances you have in your house and all the tin off the house and porch for $201.30 cents, ;D :D i know cause i did it.
tin and car bodies=165 a ton
short iron=185 a ton

Corley5

Was up to the new battery store in town yesterday.  The Mule didn't wanna start ;)  Dad happened to ask if they bought old batteries  ???  They do.  Five bucks for average car batteries, 7 or eight for bigger truck and equipment batteries and a buck a piece for motorcycle batteries.  Real big ones they pay by the pound.  We must have 50 of 'em of various shapes and sizes laying around so when the snow melts we've got an outlet for them  8) 8)  They'll probably be worth 2 bucks each then  ::) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

I sold a truckload of scrap metal a few months ago.  Aluminum cans were $0.50/lb, brass was .80, stainless .75, and copper was $2.00  I didn't bother to call around since the scrap yard is near the vet (the dog had an appointment), but I hear I could've done better  :-\

WH_Conley

It's high enough that the theives have stripped every barn and fish camp in the area.

A guy that my daughter works for caught a couple of men stripping his barn, loaded them at gun point into his truck and proceded to chase down their accompolice, turned them over to the law. The cop had a good laugh, he didn't say anything til they got the jail, then in front of the large block cell, then he informed them that the gun was empty. :D :D :D
Bill

blueduck

Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2008, 04:08:23 AM
I sold a small blazer for $50 for junk.A few years ago I would of had to pay them to haul it off.Sell it now before the market is flooded and the price drops.

It not gonna go down, China is eating it all up as fast as it can be loaded onto ships to get there.... hopefully it will not be a repeat of what happened prior to WWII, dad said that scrap iron was shipped to Japan and the sent it back in the form of bombs and bullets and ships and planes........ We were out own enemies for a few bux.  And on that note, the scrap dealers sell everything, and old parts become scarce and just what are you gonna plow the field with when that thar fancy smancy 30 foot plow breaks and or your $50,000 tractor runs out of fuel and cant pull that 4 bottom anymore? where you gonna get the little plow and disk to pull with the old mare?....<----not to be confused with the little lady you married geesh

Seriously though, when we run out of scrap iron in this country, where we gonna get the material to fix things? nearly every steel mill has shut down and went overseas due to union labor being to high or environmental concerns..... there is an evil that permeated our once great several nation states that are united, it sent the jobs away for various reasons, and is taking away the means to survive when and if an all out war breaks out in the future..... all in the name of a few more bux.

William
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

olyman

Quote from: Corley5 on January 24, 2008, 10:03:30 AM
Was up to the new battery store in town yesterday.  The Mule didn't wanna start ;)  Dad happened to ask if they bought old batteries  ???  They do.  Five bucks for average car batteries, 7 or eight for bigger truck and equipment batteries and a buck a piece for motorcycle batteries.  Real big ones they pay by the pound.  We must have 50 of 'em of various shapes and sizes laying around so when the snow melts we've got an outlet for them  8) 8)  They'll probably be worth 2 bucks each then  ::) :)  can get a garden hose out there????---the water temp out of the hose will melt em loose real quick--and haul em now----

olyman

Quote from: blueduck on January 24, 2008, 12:46:08 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2008, 04:08:23 AM

It not gonna go down, China is eating it all up as fast as it can be loaded onto ships to get there.... hopefully it will not be a repeat of what happened prior to WWII, dad said that scrap iron was shipped to Japan and the sent it back in the form of bombs and bullets and ships and planes........ We were out own enemies for a few bux.  And on that note, the scrap dealers sell everything, and old parts become scarce and just what are you gonna plow the field with when that thar fancy smancy 30 foot plow breaks and or your $50,000 tractor runs out of fuel and cant pull that 4 bottom anymore? where you gonna get the little plow and disk to pull with the old mare?....<----not to be confused with the little lady you married geesh

Seriously though, when we run out of scrap iron in this country, where we gonna get the material to fix things? nearly every steel mill has shut down and went overseas due to union labor being to high or environmental concerns..... there is an evil that permeated our once great several nation states that are united, it sent the jobs away for various reasons, and is taking away the means to survive when and if an all out war breaks out in the future..... all in the name of a few more bux.

William   its the corporations--and their bigwheels causing the problems--not the common man---or the common worker---

Corley5

Quote from: olyman on January 24, 2008, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on January 24, 2008, 10:03:30 AM
can get a garden hose out there????---the water temp out of the hose will melt em loose real quick--and haul em now----

It'd take several hundred feet of hose and we're not exactly sure where all of them may be  ;D ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

I was quoted $120/ton guts, feathers and all, with a deduct of 150 pounds per tire for any type of whole farm machinery.  $190/ton for iron and steel cut into 4' by 2 ' pieces delivered to the scrap yard. 

We have got many tons to haul.  Every farm implement or machine that my Dad ever bought is still on the farm, many older than I am. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Before you sell it as scrap, you might oughta see if it is antique enough to draw collectors.

Haytrader

Tom is right.

Around here, just iron wheels off of old implements bring $45 to $100 a peice.
AND, if you are artistic, dissasemble the old farm implement and weld it up for Yard Art.
Haytrader

WDH

There is an ancient old grain drill with large steel spoke wheels that just might fit that bill.  (If I may take poetic license ::)).

Thank You Sponsors!