iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back pain milling

Started by Sixacresand, May 05, 2014, 09:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I ran my mill today.  I've been laid up with severe back pain for the last 3 1/2 weeks.  After two weeks of chiropractic  adjustments and ice treatments four times a day, the pain has subsided enough for me to feel like standing and running a mill.  Nancy, my wife, insisting on doing the offbearing work (mainly so she could yell at me if I bent over or tried to lift something heavy)   ;) After two hours I could not get back on a ice pack soon enough. It was nice make some sawdust.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dan_Shade

best of luck with the back pain. 

moving heavy slabs isn't very good for your back....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

I really empathize with you. Motrin and Tylenol are my constant companions, beat my back up over the years and am now paying the price. I am involved in a project I am enjoying too but we both need to know enough to slow down and when to rest.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

Try this, especially before you go to work each day. It's especially important to stretch your back muscles before you put them to work each day.

Back Exercises

Worked for me.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

Do you know what's actually causing the back pain? Can be all sorts of reasons. Some can be helped by chiropractors, some can't. Muscle injury, cartilage or bone problem? All can give you grief, but the "cure" may be different.

Also from the work point of view, some saw horses and roller stands can cut down on the actual back work. If you can keep things at waist height and swivel and slide things around it's just less stress on the spine, no matter what the actual problem is.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I do not saw or really do anything that requires bending or lifting without this.

Notice that it is visible above my leather waist apron.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Hate to hear of your pain, but glad you got to get into the saw dust.  Little by little, maybe you will get back your back!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LittleJohn

I agree on the back pain btu I notice that I get back pain more when I run the mill, then when I am the off loader. Me and the old man switch off. 

If we have to saw for more than 2 days in a row, I saw first day, he saws second, then I saw til we are done.  Old man has a metal hip and crummy shoulders, so for him to lean over the log all day and look at his cuts is hard on his back.  I have to convince him someday to upgrade to hydro's (the old WM lt40g18, is all manual)

Sixacresand

When I am milling, I wear gloves and a back brace.  I use roller stands to move boards/slabs off the mill.  I pick up only then ends of boards, never the whole board.  I am very conscience of doing stupid stuff around the mill.  But it seems anything goes for picking up grand children (where the problem started).  Those two are lots heavier and awkward than most boards I deal with.   :D 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

woodsteach

Man do I feel your pain.  I've been laid up going on 6 weeks with only one sawmill job completed.  I teach woods and welding during the day sitting on my butt since standing up kills.  3 days / week chiropractor lots of ice and advil.  Things are getting better.

MM those are great stretches this should be another link to some that I do.  http://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/13-hip-mobility-exercise-to-ease-lower-back-pain/

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!