iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Juniper is beautiful wood

Started by justallan1, September 29, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I got a chance to finish sawing the juniper that I brought home the other night and it's beautiful.

It was a battle getting the thing on the mill, so I did additional trimming.

The darn thing was almost more than my little mill wanted.

I found out right off that this stuff is slow going. I go by feel and sound and watch for knots, on this juniper I had to nearly stop movement coming up to a knot.

It did make some real nice slabs though. I went with just over 1" and 2" and saved everything. I think the widest was about 16", which is where I got the 2" from.

I sticker stacked it all downstairs in my canning/utility room and even kept the junk, figuring I can get some small stuff out of it.
It's been a great day off!

Allan

jim blodgett

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Jemclimber

lt15

grweldon

Almost looks like Eastern Red Cedar to me... I wonder if there are any major differences between the two...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mesquite buckeye

Let us know when you turn it into cool stuff. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

Nice lumber. I seldom run into sawable cedar/juniper species around here.

grweldon, they are both in the juniperus genus.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Quebecnewf

If that is Juniper I'll eat my hat. Juniper (Eastern Larch)????

Looks a lot like cedar to me
Here is our Eastern Larch and what it looks like in the woods in winter

Qu

Quebecnewf

backwoods sawyer

That nice fat log made some good slabs.

This is Juniper i pulled out of modock county california last winter, short trees but many more shades of yellow then red, lot of veriation on the same type of tree based on location. I donated a unit of Juniper along with couple units of pine to the high school shop class and the students are finding good projects.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

chep

Juniperus virginiana, common name Eastern Red Cedar. Actually a Juniper. Case closed. Eat that hat

mesquite buckeye

Pretty cool. Some of the western junipers have black, orange and even a hint of green in them. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

justallan1

At this point in the game I'm really starting to question which it is. People are saying that we don't have any cedar in this part of the state and that this is juniper. It surely doesn't look like the cedar where I come from, but sawing it and the smell makes me think it is. I do think it's in the same family though.
Here's a picture of this very tree right after I fell it.

I'm surely not afraid to be corrected.
If knowledge is power then maybe that's why that little old tree gave me such grief! :D

Allan

LeeB

Common names and scientific names can be confusing. Most Junipers are commonly known as cedar. They are not actually true cedars though. If I remember right, they actually belong to the same family as Cyprus.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

qbilder

It'd be tough to convince me that it's not eastern red cedar. Regardless, it's good looking stuff.
God bless our troops

mesquite buckeye

Eastern redcedar Juniperus virginiana, Western redcedar Juniperus scopulorum Two very similar species or all one species, depending upon the authority. Just look at the ranges, which overlap. Of course there are other junipers with overlapping ranges, but those are so different that they are clearly different species.

When you get 2 really similar (or one same) species with diverging ranges, you get an argument. The junipers don't have an argument. They know. ;D

fishpimp

Quote from: Quebecnewf on September 30, 2013, 08:12:52 PM
If that is Juniper I'll eat my hat. Juniper (Eastern Larch)????

Looks a lot like cedar to me
Here is our Eastern Larch and what it looks like in the woods in winter

Qu

Quebecnewf
If u chopped that log down with that ax I'll sharpen my chainsaw.

Looks like eastern red cedar to me. Sawed many k ft

5quarter

Where Quebecnewf lives, there are only 3 seasons:

beginning of Winter
Dead of winter
End of Winter
;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

thecfarm

I hope Quebecnewf has a cold enough winter for his ice road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mart

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

scully

I realy like your eastern juniper red aromatic western cedar hybred whatever . All I know is thats some sweet looking live edge right there !
I bleed orange  .

oklalogdog

I believe ERC is actually a Juniper.  It sure looks like ERC.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

justallan1

Quote from: scully on October 03, 2013, 08:38:07 PM
I realy like your eastern juniper red aromatic western cedar hybred whatever . All I know is thats some sweet looking live edge right there !
I do believe you called it, Scully. :D

Allan

Quebecnewf

So the final agreement is an "eastern western aromatic red cedar juniper".

All those trees wrapped up in one trunk . Who knew......

No ice bridge but it is cold so heres hoping

Quebecnewf

Bill Gaiche

I sawed some juniper a couple of weeks ago that came from Chama, NM. When sawed it looks like ERC and smells like ERC. The big difference is that it has a lot of ingrown bark that goes with the twist of the tree. This makes it hard to get any boards that have any length to them. I have one in the yard right now and here is a photo of it, I didn't saw it because it was so twisted with ingrown bark and being so irregular. I determined it would be better served else where. Its over 600 years old. There are several species of juniper. bg

Thank You Sponsors!