iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Age of your Circle mill

Started by dgdrls, December 22, 2012, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

All you circle-mill sawyers., how old is your mill??

Bandsaw sawyers
go here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62690.0.html

:christmas:
Happy Holidays
DGDrls

shelbycharger400

< 1978 or 1979 Foley belsaw m-14  42 in insert tooth blade,  yet to resetup    :rifle:

dblair

1935 Appomattox , a gift from a friend that had pasted.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

loggah

I have 2 bellsaws,one is a 1992 steel frame m-14 sold by timberking, the other one is a bit older set up as a portable unit  on a 36' long trailer,self contained with a volkswagen industrial engine , a bellsaw edger is built in. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Seems the circular mills are much older on average than bands.Up here in the northeast many mill were set up after the 38 hurricane.Not just because of the downed trees but also the demand to rebuild barns and homes.My circular mill, I'am the third owner that I know about.I believe it was bought new by a lumber yard,Sharon box co. in the 40's,they modernized probibly in the late 50's and sold it to a local farmer I bought it from his estate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

Seems like you'll either be an automatic or a manual mill.  In the early '70s I was working at a mill putting out 5 MMbf per year, and it was manual.  We had automatic support equipment.  That converted over to full automatic in the '80s.

I do remember that there was some automation going on in the '70s, but it ended up being putting on some hydraulic cylinders on the dogs.  Or, you might put in a log turner.  I was running a handmill in the early '80s, and it wasn't state of the art, but it wasn't too far off from what the rest of the competition was using. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SPD748

I'm not sure about the age of my mill. It's an 0 Frick, all steel. I do know that the gentleman whom I purchased the mill from originally bought a Frick mill in the 40's however this particular mill isn't his original.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Corley5

My Grandpa's Corley #5 is a 1948 and the one I got from Noble's Dad is a 1953.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bandmiller2

If well maintained,read roof,most circular mills will outlive their owners. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

Not sure how old my Belsaw is. It has a Sears Roebuck tag on it. I never tried to date it but guessed 51 to 75.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

sandhills

Can't read the tag on ours anymore but here's a pic if anyone wants to guess at it

loggah

Its a steel frame model so i would say in the 80's, mine is primer red colored with timberking  decals and was new in 1992. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

reride82

1978 Foley-Belsaw m-14, additional carriage added so now it is over 20' with 4 dogs. 1976 chrysler v-8 industrial powerplant with hydraulics for carriage feed and hopefully a hydraulic turner eventually...
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Don_Papenburg

Mine is a Frick 01 Timbertiger with a steel husk .  I do not have a clue as to the age.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Meadows Miller

Gday

Circle mills will outlast their owners if well taken care of like any good bit of gear  ;) ;D 8)

My Line Up at the moment includes the following  ;)

Australia

1984 Meadows Deluxe that should be finally running by mid year along side the Laimet  ;)  ;D 8)

1997 Varteg 48" Portable Circular built in NZ considering trading it for a Patrick AR8 Loader atm .

1998 Table mill similar to the Varteg built in the driveway at home using the track from my 3120 CSM Dad is using it in his log building business running the 36" saw

2002 Laimet 130 Pro which was a new mill that got striped and custom built and modified onto a 60' low boy with fold out decks and all electric with 150hp 3ph on the head saw which are from 48 to 52" dia, its a weapon thats why i named it Excalibur  ;) ;D 8)

2010 Lucas Mill 10-30 Lethal Lu with the works slabber ,planer, sander  ect and the Best New Portable mill you can buy anywhere for under $20k IMHO  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Mills in America

1940s Jackson Lumber Harvester Portable with Portable Edger stored at Joes in PA  ;) ;D 8)

1940s to 60s Frick 01c timber frame Long Log mill sitting in a farmers field in Pa  ;) ;D ill have to see if its still there but I only payed $100 for it   :o :o :o :) :) ;D

I think people know exactly where i lean to as you get consistent higher production with minimal mill, labor,blade maint and production costs over bands  ;) ;D ;D 8)

:new_year:

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

BBK

1936 American No 2. Stillset up wihtin 50' of where it was unloaded by granddad
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Meadows Miller

Sweeeet  :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) My Meadows was brought by the family even got a pic of it in the box from the boys at Meadows Mills last year fella came down out of the office and heard the accent n said your a McMahon arnt you you look like your grandfather  :) :) :) :)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

leot

My mill is from the 1890's it was moved to the area in 1928, purchased by my father in 1958. Babit  bearings.  The parts all have a number and letter stamped on them, and are made of pig iron.  The mill has been updated many times to include 60 ft of track and limited hyd.  I use an old combine motor, clutch and fly wheel to run the blade. 

48 in manual mill 1880's

markd

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 24, 2012, 07:43:50 AM
If well maintained,read roof,most circular mills will outlive their owners. Frank C.
Hey Corley 5, I have a Corley 1 and I'm curious what the difference is in those numbers any idea?
markd

B.C.C. Lapp

Pretty neat to have a ten year old thread go active again. thumbs-up
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Don P

Well i hadn't seen it before  :D. I just voted and its now 31 years old, a M-14 Timberking.

@Corley5  

Whoops, it rounded a page, look back 2 posts.

Corley5

The Five has 6" wide belts and 42" wide ways as I remember.  I liquidated my mills a couple years ago. The One is smaller.  The Eight was the big dog of this vintage.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

markd

Sorry, I'm runnin a little behind but I'll tell you I love these old posts same old questions but harder to get these old guys to respond. :D
markd

moodnacreek

My new mill is 1973 but it was updated in the early 90's. The tractor mill I pulled out I believe around ww 2 but again updated in 96. My first was a bellsaw [I had 2] that was 1979. I also had a parts mill for the ww 2.  And have the iron parts to a Chase no. 1 perhaps built before 1900. For the 1973 [no. 1 lane/ Hawkinson] I have a complete spare carriage that I think was made by the original Lane machinery, the scale board says so and it was painted gray. I have been a fool for old machinery since childhood, too late to change now.

wink

Started with 1956 lane about 12 years ago, upgraded 2 years ago to electric over hydraulic all steel with cab lane,  can't read date on tag was told by seller 1985 

Thank You Sponsors!