iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Tear in my Eye

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 28, 2017, 07:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Twenty, or more, years ago when I first started looking at band mills, there were twenty - two band mills within twenty miles of me. Only two were used regularly. It seems to be very common to find them unused.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Darrel

Mine doesn't get used as much as I'd like, too many other things to do and it is outside with a carriage cover on it. I do keep it oiled up with ATF and maintained.  I'd build a shed for it now but the county won't let me build any structures on my property even if a permit isn't needed until I build a dwelling.  Construction scheduled to start in the spring.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Quote from: Darrel on January 07, 2018, 10:57:10 AM
  I'd build a shed for it now but the county won't let me build any structures on my property even if a permit isn't needed until I build a dwelling. 

Wow - quickly becoming the Peoples Republic of Oregon eh?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Quote from: Southside logger on January 07, 2018, 11:33:46 AM
  I'd build a shed for it now but the county won't let me build any structures on my property even if a permit isn't needed until I build a dwelling. 

Wow - quickly becoming the Peoples Republic of Oregon eh?

Unfortunately yes. Still better than anywhere in Californis except maybe Modoc County.
1992 LT40HD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its sad but think about it like this.

Some people will get this and some won't.
I can not believe how fast I went from 50 - 61 in age. I mean it was quick.

Some of these old timers and some young timers do not realize how fast time goes by.
They have good intentions and before you know it the lack of care on ANYTHING will start to decline.

I have even said and heard my dad say " I should have done sew in sew and that would not have happened.....but I just didn't have time".

And what am I talking about? TIME.

All of us need to MAKE time to do things that need to be done....or we pay the price.

Thus there is an LT50 sitting in the weeds that will one day need A LOT of TLC. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

That is spot on, Posthole😁 Really it is, I have so many things I need to get done, and a year goes by like nothing. I have no outbuildings or sheds, so pretty much everything is out in the weather, including my mill. A lot of you guys saw more in 3 days than I do in a year, it's more of a hobby/stress reliever/ I just like having one type of thing. I'd like to get where I could saw at least half time someday, but without a concrete plan it will not happen. So, wise words, from an old goat👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

Crossroads

Mine doesn't get used as much as I'd like, too many other things to do and it is outside with a carriage cover on it. I do keep it oiled up with ATF and maintained.  I'd build a shed for it now but the county won't let me build any structures on my property even if a permit isn't needed until I build a dwelling.  Construction scheduled to start in the spring.
As I was reading this I thought, wow, this guy must live in Oregon. Low and behold, he does lol. I'm battling with the county right now trying to get a placement permit for an agricultural building. Fortunately, I have a space for the wood Mizer, but the old Kubota and all it's implaments are sitting in the rain.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

It's really amazing how some of these states have become so difficult to live in.  Here in Virginia if you are building an agricultural building - and that includes forest product production at the scale we are at - there are no permits, no inspections, no code, nothing for the building or electrical.  Guess they figure if you are dumb enough to screw it up then it's your problem.  The code enforcement officer literally told me to "make sure you know what you are doing" when it came to installing a new 400 amp service. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

No permit needed here in Klamath County to build a pole barn, in can't be completely closed in, I think it has to be open on a long side or both ends open or something. At one time I knew and was satisfied that it would work for my mill shed.  I see them with ends open and a long side open so maybe either is ok. But as I said before, I gotta wait until I get my house built.
1992 LT40HD

Peter Drouin

My last LT40HD I sold is outside. First thing he did was to put the cover on the HOT engine and melt a big hole in it. ::)
He had big Ideas for the mill until he found out how much work it is. He even has 100 ac of trees. Now it sets and rust, and calls me for lumber. ::) ::) ::) ::)
I know Mr goat, there's some truth in the getting old thing and not caring. But I see 80 year olds around here keep all their stuff in good shape.
But, When I see that happen, Lazy comes to mind.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I need to build just a cover over my mill. Been saying that for 15 years.   :o  How time does get by a person.
I did build a (building) for my tractor,before I started to live here. Note the ( ). At that time I had no mill. It was built of of 2x trees.  :D  Just round posts,like a pole barn,even round for the rafters. An old wide belting for a roof and some old tin too. Just to make it look that much better, ::) old tin on one side too. BUT it does not leak and the tractor is under cover.
Sawmill is next.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!