iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Mantel

Started by Northern Porter, June 08, 2010, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Porter

I received an order yesterday for a gentleman who wants an Oak fireplace mantel cut. He asked for it to be approximately 75" Long x 12"Deep x 4" Thick. How long should I tell him to let this dry before he places it over his fireplace? Weeks, months, years? Thanks if anyone can help. Also, does anyone know how one would best charge for something like this?

R. Porter

scsmith42

4" thick oak will take several years to dry.  Your best bet is to quartersaw it (gonna take a 30" log in order to avoid any pith wood), and have him trim it in such a way that the trim can be adjusted for shrinkage over time.

Since it's quartersawn material, assuming that I was selling it green and based upon the fact that it is 12" wide I would probably charge in the $6.00 - $8.00 bd ft range.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

If you do not dry it very slowly, it will check and split very badly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

I have had a few customers put them up green and live with what happens

they all check and crack thats why I don't cut mantels on spec
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Chances are very high that it's going to twist.  I've sawed them 6", let them dry for a year, and then trim them to size.  That thick, boxing the pith is not all bad.  There's always a trade off somewhere.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!