iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treefarmer Gearmatic Problem

Started by Autocar, September 01, 2010, 02:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I seldom use my winch but this past week I pulled a few trees. The darn thing wouldn't stop winding after screwing with it I ended up pulling the drive line off. So today I pulled the side off and can't figure out whats going on with it. As soon as I wind it up, then it won't stop even when I put it back in the release the brake . There seems like there is no adjustment on the outer brake bands. Later on I am going to clean the brake bands with cleaner and see if that will help. I had it winding up and I took a crow bar and placed more tension on the shoes and it would stop then. Anyone know whats going on with it ? I know there was a thread the other day about this but know one said how to tighten the brake up unless I am on the wrong path. Also I was wondering if it may be in the lever in the cab I tore that apart also thinking brake fluid might be applying pressure to someting because of leaking brake fluid. 
Bill

madmari

Sounds like your outer clutch bands are sticking. Easy fix.
Pull the cover where the hydraulic line goes into the clutch, exposing the brake and clutch bands. give them a tap with a small hammer to free up the rust on the clutch bands. There are adjusting cams that allow you to limit the travel of the bands. Loosen them, turn them to the flat side and you'll be able to take the bands off to clean them with some sandpaper( just give em a quicky scrub). Replace them and put the stud back that goes from the hydraulic cylinder to the bands. Set the cams so you have about .020" between the bands and the drum ('bout three/four sheets of paper-not super critical)
Put the hydraulic line back on and bleed it, letting any air in the line out. Pump the lever and you should see the clutch bands move to the drum and it should release when you release the lever. The brake will take over from there.
  Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.
  Lack of use is the worst thing for Gearmatics- run the winch a few times whenever you can. And tarp it to keep it dry! The things hate water .
Let me know if you have any problems or success.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Autocar

Thank you for your reply, I understand what your telling me . Today I spent to much time on the outer brake band but what you told me makes sence about the inside thanks again. I let you know how it all turns out.
Bill

treefarmer87

it might also be the plungers inside of your control lever. mine was doing that last week , i took it apart and put a new pin in it and cleaned it real good.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Autocar

Ok I set the bands at .20 thousand and she works like a dream. Now when I flip the level back for free wheeling it rolls like butter, for sure I am a happy camper ! Thanks for all the right answers  :D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!