iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smells like rootbear!

Started by PAmizerman, February 07, 2019, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I got a load of low grade in to fill a pallet order. There were a couple logs that were just too crooked to get anything out of. 
Firewood? Nope... I've figured out that the more crooked and "ugly" it is the faster they sell :D.

I sawed a couple poplar and then this?
Not sure what it is but it sure smelled good. Smells like rootbear! 
I'm thinking birch just based on the smell but really have no idea. 
Anyone know?

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

bandmiller2

Probably Sassafras that's where they got the original root beer flavor. I used to dig the roots and chew on them. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hewer of Wood

I'd say a birch, maybe black. To me sassafras smells more like root beer and birches have a minty smell. But that's definitely not sassafras.
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

PAmizerman

It's definitely not sassafras. 
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Resonator

What did the bark look like?

This is what Yellow Birch looks like, other birches have similar "paper" bark texture.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

PAmizerman

I'll have to grab a pic tomorrow.
It wasn't shaggy
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

This log was also in the pile.
Thinking it's Aspen?
Can you guys tell I don't saw much hardwood? :D

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Ron Wenrich

It was probably black birch.  That's a pretty common tree in PA.  Smooth bark.  I've sawn trailerloads of it.  Things smell pretty good for a couple of days afterwards.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

kelLOGg

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 07, 2019, 07:55:48 PMI used to dig the roots and chew on them. Frank C.
Me too! :)   Haven't thought of that in a long time.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

The guys are probably right, black river birch "Betula nigari" its similar to sas but a little different smell and taste. I used to graze on the black birch twigs. College professor modified his outline to mention if woodland plant material was edible because of me. A local bottler sells "birch beer" but its hard to find, young folks have no idea what it is. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don P

Yup, that top pic is sweet birch, black birch. Nice wood, hard heavy strong but the ppb's also love it. I have quite a bit of it in the beech grove.

moodnacreek

Sassafras is much softer than birch and not so heavy, looks like r. oak when dry with a chestnut color. B. birch has the wintergreen smell and is paper barked.

47sawdust

Yelllow birch is a treat to saw when fresh,and yes the root beer smell has me looking around for the wife and some vanilla ice cream.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

samandothers

I remember my grandmother and mother would boil the roots of sassafras to make tea.  I sure was good.  Brings back memories.  I find some smaller plants on our land in Va from time to time. 

Ron Wenrich

Betula lenta, not betula nigari.   In New England, you might call it cherry birch.  Similar bark to sweet cherry.  My area it goes as black birch or some might say sweet birch.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

I had a recipe for rootbeer once that called for sassafras and birch both. Had a few other extractives that I can't remember. I never made it because I didn't have the birch. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bruno of NH

Looks like the yellow birch I have sawn
I have sawn one black birch but log it wasn't as light colored
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

I've sawn a little lenta. Smells great. I've made tea from the bark. I've never sawn nigra. Haven't found a log big enough. It's usually a clumped ornamental planting. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!