iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan Man Kills Wife w/ Chainsaw

Started by Shotgun, May 11, 2009, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

I can't add much to this. It must be tough.

Norm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mich. man kills wife with chain saw in accident
AP

Mon May 11, 7:12 am ET

OTSEGO, Mich. – Michigan authorities say a man working in his yard accidentally killed his wife with a chain saw.

The Otsego (aht-SEE'-go) couple were trying to cut a tree Sunday when the man hit his wife in the neck with the chain saw.

She died at the scene of the accident, about 35 miles south of Grand Rapids.

Sheriff's Deputy David Labonde lives nearby. He tells WOOD-TV he heard a cry for help and did what he could to help.

The sheriff's department says it's withholding the couple's names until other relatives are notified. The TV station says they're in their 40s.

___

Information from: WOOD-TV, http://www.woodtv.com
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Ron Scott

Sad! A good reason for working alone.
~Ron

Kevin

There is a ten foot rule where nobody comes within ten feet of anyone using a chainsaw.
Most line clearance guys abide by it because of the number of workers in one area.
One worker here had a bar and chain run across his stomach when the guy with saw turned around.
The rules are there for a reason .

ely

i have taught my boys to stay well away when i am running a saw, or anyone for that matter. if they need me they wait until i shut down. if its an emergency they are instructed to throw sticks at me if i am not felling trees. if i am felling they are not to bother me.

timber tramp

What a horrible way to learn a lesson, I feel for the guy. Kevin's 10 foot rule is a good one.             :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Tombstone

The wife and kids will be reminded of the ten foot rule when I get home............that is one of my worst fears..............
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

cheyenne

Very sad, my heart goes out to them. But that is exactly why I cut alone. Spectators & helpers will not listen....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Burlkraft

I hadda look twice at this....... ::)

When I first saw it I thought it said Michigan Mike kills wife with chainsaw  :o  :o  :o

Glad that wasn't what it said.

What a tragedy. I thought about some of the times Jill and I have been working together and how fast something like that can happen  :-\  :-\  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Warbird

Oh man.  I would die inside.  That poor couple. 

Michigan Mike

Nope wasn't me. It was pretty close to here only about twenty miles north. It made all the local TV channels. It seems she was very well liked by all who worked with her and all who knew her. Very sad situation. I only hope some good will come out of it with the weekend warriors thinking more about safety and also us folks who use a chainsaw regularly.

thecfarm

That is just awful.Probaly like my wife,loves to be by my side helping me.But she does not realize the danger.She was never around most of the stuff I have until I met her 10 years ago.I have chewed her out with some of the dumb things she has done.Not a good thing to do,but I'm not to good with words when I want to protect her from getting hurt bad.Of course when she says,I know what I'm doing,that does not help out my mood. I have laid out many ground rules for her and made sure she understands.But there is always one that comes up that she don't see.Motor gets shut off and I have to tell her what might happen.Than she feels bad because I chewed her out.It's a wonder she even loves me at all.  ;D  But I don't want to see her get hurt. Things happen out there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rickywashere

sad thing i feel for the guy ... i have to say it took me a while but i finally have taught my brother-in law who i get to help me on topping and trim work not to bother or even get close to me when the saw is running /// i know this because i watched him give his brother hell when i was sawing some firewood for mom the other day .. and he was yelling at me to saw something///hehe . i shut the saw off and caught the end of it him saying if the saw is on then the mouth is off in the sawyers direction ...

WildDog

Horrific news, a chainsaw has a safety device for the user but there is none for bystanders.

QuoteWhen I first saw it I thought it said Michigan Mike kills wife with chainsaw     

Burlcraft your comment brings back fond memories for me, when I was at school in the early 80's I made good friends with an American who came over to my school from Michigan for a couple of years before he returned to the States his name was Mike Metzker, we used to call him Michigan Mike, unfortunately I lost contact with him.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!