iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New customer, fired customer.

Started by customsawyer, November 04, 2015, 07:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It is a personal choice what to do with your time.  For me, it is not about the money spent or saved, but rather what I choose to do with my time when I am not sawing.  It DanG sure ain't sharpening.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Chuck White on November 07, 2015, 09:44:32 PM

Where abouts are you located, Cazzhrdwd?

The miserable BLUE state of Maryland.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Chuck White on November 07, 2015, 09:44:32 PM

Now, don't get me wrong, a resharp service is a wonderful service to have available, and if you're really busy sawing, it makes sence to use it!

Agreed.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Kingmt on November 07, 2015, 09:51:33 PM
Cazzhrdwd
I don't have any of the sharpening equipment. If I try it then it would be by other means then the fancy sharpeners that I've seen. I also don't do this as a business. I just saw for myself to save money on lumber.

You'll be surprised at how quickly it grows, we truly have the best job a man can have, besides being a race car driver. :) seems that would be just a bit more fun.

Kbeitz

Time is exactly  why I sharpen my own blades. I don't have time to take my blades off and put another on.
I don't have time to box them up. I don't have time to run them to the post office.
I just grab my dermel and sit on the saw for a few min. and I'm done. Very fast and cheap.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JustinW_NZ

Just had the same thing funnily enough, local guy rang me up and was asking how many resharps I get before breaking.
15 or so and I never break them, they end up to thin and we toss them was my reply.. (1 1/2 bands)

Turns out they get 5 max and the bands have multiple cracks by them...
He bought one around and the drag style grinder wasn't cleaning out the gullet, so I would think it would be effecting saw performance and B was just crack material waiting to happen..
This is more operator fault or setup that the style of grinder/grinding....

8 passes around the CBM grinder it looked like a WM 10deg band again...
Was easy to figure out it wasn't economic to reset his ones from my side as the CBN wheel wear wouldn't have been good along side the time to let them run...

Do I think his resharpens were cheap - yes, do I think they are cost effective - NO!!
In NZ we don't have a resharp service or anything close to it, so its a must to do it yourself or have someone near by.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Peter Drouin

I can sharpen a box of 10 in an hr. That's making over $100.00 an hr. and I can push the set where I want it. :) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

And when Peter sharpens that box of 10 five times each he has saved himself $500.00.  Do that for 3 boxes of blades and he could pay for a pretty decent machine.  I am not hardly as quick as he is, but the math is the same.   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 08, 2015, 08:06:08 AM
And when Peter sharpens that box of 10 five times each he has saved himself $500.00.  Do that for 3 boxes of blades and he could pay for a pretty decent machine.  I am not hardly as quick as he is, but the math is the same.   ;)  Banjo

The WM setter and sharpener payed for itself in less than a year. $4,500.00
And I,m only on my 2# CBN wheel.
I'm happy with the set up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

deadfall

The numbers are sinking in here. (durn, didn't mean to start a new page -- will link back to it -- attn. post #57)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,86587.40.html#msg1327106
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 08, 2015, 08:15:48 AM

I'd starve.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kingmt

Well I was trying to milk a blade to finish up the last log for a customer but got down to the last 2 boards & it just wouldn't cut anymore. I switched to a new blade & on the last board I hit my post. It ripped the typos off all the teeth. I finished up the job with a second new blade.

I decided that was a good blade to take a shot at sharpening. I'm a believer now & agree that the resharpened blade cuts better then the new one after using them soccer by side. I realize it loses set & will get to the point it won't cut but so far I'm going to try it for a while.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

petefrom bearswamp

My drag sharpener is 1995 vintage and I used to save all my blades for winter and then sharpen/set, or in my case set/sharpen.
Now i am a snowbird and have gone very happily with resharp.
I despise the whole sharpening process.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 08, 2015, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 08, 2015, 08:15:48 AM