iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repairing Chaps

Started by luvmexfood, October 26, 2013, 05:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Recently purchased a set of chaps and have been wearing them anytime I cut. Noticed a small rip of about 1 inch in the nylon covering yesterday when taking them off.

Anyone have a good way of repairing. I thought if they still make the denim iron on patches I might try that but wonder if it would melt the nylon.

Second thought is to get a scrap piece of denim or something similar and using superglue to cover the rip.

Anyone have an alternative idea that they have had sucess with?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Dusty Rhodes

LovMex,  Well I am newer on this forum than you so my counsel may not be sage, but I had a small tear in my chaps and I sewed the nylon together with nylon thread.  I did not disturb the Kevlar beneath the nylon shell so I did not think I would be hurting the effectiveness of the chaps. I actually found some blue thread, so it matched pretty good. You could also consider contacting the manufacturer of the chaps and inquire for their recommendations.  I do not believe I would fix with any process that generated a lot of heat in the underlying material as you may run the risk of diminishing the effectiveness of the material that provides the protection that chaps give you.   

thecfarm

A good grade of silicone caulking will work good. May not look good,but it works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

With the cuts in mine, I order a new pair first.  8)
Then repair the cut with shoe goo. Did one (a big one) with a denim iron-on patch that worked too.
Then have the old ones around for spares if anyone shows up with a chainsaw in hand and no chaps... they have to wear these. Also use the old ones when splitting wood (saves the jeans) or busting around through brush in the woods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

He did say small rip,not a cut with a chainsaw.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Philbert

There is a USFS pamphlet floating around the Internet on repairing chaps. Big thing is to not disturb or trap any on the protective fibers.

Depending on the outer fabric, clear nail polish stops small tears. Some types of fabric glues (visit a fabric or crafts store) may hold a patch. You can also buy a curved needle to sew the tear without snagging the protective fibers.

Most guys seem to use duct tape.

Philbert

clearcut

The USFS pamphlet suggests using Seam Grip. The pamphlet can be found here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf05672816/pdf05672816dpi72.pdf

I've had good results repairing cloth used outside (an awning and tent trailer fabric) with Sail Repair Tape. UV resistant, aggressive adhesive, and flexible. I've never tried it on chaps.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

luvmexfood

Just a follow up on my post from 1.5 years ago. Repaired the outer shell of my chaps using regular household silicone caulk and a patch of denim cut from some old jeans.

Smeared the silicone on heavy, put the patch on top, and weighted with an old book with parchment paper under the book. After all this time patch is still holding good. Course they don't see the inside of a washing machine much but plenty of use.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BUGGUTZ

Hello fellas, i'm a noob here but I have some info on this topic.

I work for a Road Commission in Northern Michigan. We had a class sponsored by Stihl. One thing covered was chaps. We were told once the outer fabric is torn they are no good, do not repair. The integrity of the chaps is compromised and they are unsafe. In addition the said you MUST wash them regularly and fluff dry them. They need the inside fibers fattened up in order to work. So basically once they get "broke in" you need to wash and dry them to the uncomfortable state again. Gas and oil must be washed out asap!

I know they arent cheap but neither are legs. I have seen more than a few coworkers shred their chaps on the job. They let anybody use a chainsaw at my work. I was trained to run saw and I just stay away from them lol!

Hope I didnt bore ya'll.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Prolly good info that you heard there. But then what else would the sellers of chaps say other than if they are nicked, they need to be replaced, and they should be washed regularly.

I've nicked and patched mine, and as well have ordered a new pair each time it has happened.
However, I usually put on an older pair with the smallest patch when I go out to cut more wood. They are not "unsafe" IMO, but likely are "less safe".  Still lots of areas on both legs of the chaps that are as good as new.  ;D

What does BUGGUTZ do for the Road Commission? Interested to know some more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BUGGUTZ

I drive plow trucks in the winter and when theres no snow we cut trees. Alot of trimming road sides, ariel work. And on slow days we trim forestry roads lol.

In the warm seasons I do pavement work. I used to drive gravel trains which are double dump trailers. And way back I was a tree trimmer/ climber.

Jhenderson

Mfg recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. They sell chaps and have a liability that comes with that sale. Do you think they're going to tell you to wear damaged ( even slightly) chaps? I replace them if there's a  major rip or tear. Minor tears I repair with fishing line and a needle.

BUGGUTZ

Im just sharing information. Im sure the insurance company would get the same shpeal from them should they fail and open a leg. We are required to handle them accordingly.

petefrom bearswamp

I have nicked them in the past but have used the theory that I wouldnt hit the same place twice.
Has worked so far.
I did cut my knee in 1974 with only dungarees in the way, 4 stitches then and no cuts since.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Philbert

"I have nicked them in the past but have used the theory that I wouldnt hit the same place twice. Has worked so far."

Not sure if you are joking or serious, so I'll give the 'serious' response: if you have pulled fiber from the protective pads, you have degraded the effective performance of the chaps.  The fibers pull from the whole length of the pads, and there will be fewer fibers, and less protection, for other cuts.

The outside fabric is just a cover, so repairing that fabric is not a big deal, as long as the repair does not include sewing though, or gluing, the protective pad.

As far as 'nicking them in the same place', it is highly likely that you will.  Google 'Chainsaw Injuries' - images to see the statistical charts.

Philbert

LeeK

I sewed a 4" rip with the heaviest thread I had, then covered the whole deal with shoe-goo.  Holding up good, the goo is somewhat flexible, doesn't crack or flake.  Because of accumulated bar oil, grease, etc. no tape would stick long
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 353, ported, xp top
2-Way Honda-Powered Splitter
'94 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4, 8' bed, inspected

Thank You Sponsors!