iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the back drag got me!

Started by Tom L, October 05, 2011, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

been lucky so far  but this one came in the back door.
after I removed my board from the mill, I was reversing to make another cut and the blade hit a small sliver
of wood and just kept going deeper and deeper backwards. had to cut it out with a chainsaw, and the blade had bent a couple of teeth. no other damage, so I was a little lucky.

what does everyone do here, do you raise the blade after each cut or do you drag back on top of the log.
don't want this to continue to be a problem.

Bandmill Bandit

raise the blade a quarter ish inch.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

wwsjr

I always raise blade slightly above the cant/sawn board to return. It may take a few seconds, but is works better for me. I use Accuset 2, come back, hit pattern drop, saw the next board.

Edit: I failed to say I disengage the blade as soon as it exits the cant.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

zopi

Aside from hitting stuff on the log dragging back on the cant can knock the set out of the blade...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

I always stop the blade, raise the blade above the cant, and then move the saw head back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

I raise the head after I disengage just by habit now. I dont use the dragback though.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Chuck White

I always disengage the blade as soon as it exits the far end of the log/cant, then I just "bump" it up about ΒΌ", by this time the off-bearer has the sawn board off of the cant and it's clear to run the head back to the front of the mill.

In my manual, it specifically says to disengage the blade before returning the head to the front of the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!