iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oops...oil in the gas res, gas in the oil res

Started by michaelvp, July 29, 2008, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelvp

My mistake.  The saw actually ran for a second and certainly sucked oil into fuel line.  I tried to start it several times before I realized what I had done.  Is it trashed, or can I clean things out and keep this tool?  It's a small echo saw that is about 6 years old and has had a lot of general use.

Thanks.

Michael

Dan_Shade

you may have to clean out the fuel line and the carburetor's fuel bowl, but it shouldn't have "hurt" the saw at all.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ladylake

Take the aircleaner off and squirt a little mix right in the carb and pull it over holding the throttle wide open, it should run at least for a few seconds which might be enough to get the oil through the carb, or take the carb apart and clean it and the line.  A new plug might be needed also.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Engineer

I've done that but realized my error before I started the saw.   Got distracted.  First time for everything I guess.

Anyway, I'd agree with the others, probably didn't hurt your saw but I'd clean out the carb and the gas line just in case.  I dumped oil in my gas tank, dumped it back out as much as possible and put gas in it, it started and ran like nothing had happened.  Obviously you can put nearly anything in the oil reservoir because it just spits it out into the bar.   I wouldn't worry too much.

Dan_Shade

my main mistake is forgetting to put the plugs back in!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

rebocardo

I tried to repair a guy's Echo that this happened to. Basically when oil came out of the muffler, I knew I was in  trouble.  :D

I disassembled everything and cleaned everything out, it was a no go. I think he returned the saw to Home Depot and got a new one.

I would clean everything out and then remove the spark plug along with the air filter. Then just pull on it a dozen times and tip it upside down when done to make sure the oil is out.

Then fill with oil and gas and try to start it.

You might want to try a new gas filter.

jackpine

I witnessed this a few years ago when a tree service's helper put oil in the gas res. of an Echo. After several hard pulls with no results he realized his mistake and dumped the oil out. He then pulled it over several times with an empty res., refilled the res. with gas and had it running fine after a couple of pulls. Maybe luck, but worth a try as the oil will not harm anything.

Bill

arojay

Maybe you could pull off the fuel line at the carb and blow the goop out one way or the other.  I've goofed and put oil in my gas tank before but realized it and did a dump and flush.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

sawmilllawyer

Done it too, put oil in the gas tank this spring and before starting realized what happened. Dumped it, rinsed it out with a little new gas/oil mix and refilled. Cleaned the spark plug and it fired right up. No problems since.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sawguy21

I'm sure glad to learn I am not the only one that has done this. :D The reed valve saws like the small Echo's have the tanks reversed compared to the piston port units and it is easy to do. I rinsed as much oil out as I could with unmixed gas then put in fresh mix. Choked the h**l out of it until it finally started. It smoked for a while then ran fine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I've never done so myself but have fixed a few that people have done .

On saws such as a Mac 610 which use a celulose filter ,that needs replaced but other than that it doesn't hurt anything .

A little trick is starting them using WD-40 sprayed in the carb .It lubes the cylinder[as if it needs it  :D] but doesn't screw things up like starting fluid .

michaelvp

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.  I haven't had the chance to clean it out yet, but that is next on the list.

zackman1801

at our school we all share saws, well i was working one day early in the school year so the saws had just been yanked off the shelf the day before. well i started cutting and noticed that the bar was smoking and getting very hot, i was wondering what had happened so i looked in at the bar and chain oil, apparently the guy who used the saw the year before put the STABIL in the wrong hole, so when i looked at the oil in the shop where its dim i saw that there was oil in the tank, too bad it was the wrong kind.  ive yet to put the wrong stuff in the wrong hole but i am assuming i will do it one day when im not paying attention.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

joe_indi

This happens regularly here.
It requires some very simple actions that's all.
Empty out the fuel tank.Rinse it twice or thrice with gas(an oz. or two is sufficient) which has no oil in it.
Fill just enough pure gas to immerse the pick up body.
Remove the air filter, spit guard (if fitted) and the spark plug.
Step One:With the switch in the off position,  the choke in the closed position and the throttle wide open, pull the starter 8 - 10 times.
Step Two:Then turn the saw upside down and repeat the above, BUT with the choke open
Do both these steps two or three times.
After the last 'Step Two',empty out the fuel tank and fill it with regular fuel mix.
Tighten the spark plug back on the saw.Move the  master switch to "Start" position(Fast Idle).Now pull on the starter.Your saw should start up with a very smoky exhaust.
This will disappear in a minute once any residual oil is flushed out of the crankcase and muffler.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!