iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a Hackberry?

Started by TKehl, May 03, 2017, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Took the kids for a ride between floods when I ran across a large tree I didn't recognize.  First thought it was an Elm.  On closer inspection I think it is Hackberry.  Similar leaves to Elm, but not as deeply serrated.  I expected warty bark though (this one is more flaky, but a few warts can be found higher up), but if Hackberry, I've never seen one this big and maybe the bark changes as it ages. 

Sorry, no leaf pics (branches too high) and I only had my old phone to take a picture with.  Tape measure is at 4' for reference.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

jaciausa

Hard to tell, except the loose bark and size would indicate that it is not hackberry. Is there any old leaves on ground?

TKehl

The bark and size are what threw me as well. 

The Missouri champion Hackberry is around 5-6' diameter (quick calc from diameter).  So, while bigger than I've seen, it's probably not even noteworthy.

There are probably old leaves around, but there are Elm around as well and the leaves look close enough to be siblings or cousins.  Definitely not like a Maple or Gum.  Definitely not a "frond" (name please?) like Walnut, Hickory, or Locust.  Will try to get more pictures with better camera next time I'm out.  Tree is a bit over half a mile from the house between pastures.  Was looking for big dead stuff to slab.   ;D

Really everything lines up but the bark.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

jaciausa

I would need more views of the bark just to make a guess. You say it is not hickory!

TKehl

Definitely not Hickory.  Leaves are wrong. 

Will take a better camera and more pics next time I'm back there.

WDH

Looks like white oak to me from the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Me too Danny, but he said that the leaves:
QuoteSimilar leaves to Elm, but not as deeply serrated.
This left me puzzled.   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

TKehl

Here are some better pictures.

Leaves:

Upper branches showing warts like I would expect on Hackberry:

Whole tree:

Bark details:

WDH

Yes, it is hackberry.  The big ones around here have smoother bark, not that scaly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

Thanks!  Yes, the bark was confusing me something fierce.

Brad_bb

The bark in the second branch picture sealed it for me along with the leaves.  It is hackberry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!