iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer wants boards 25 feet long

Started by smokeatrr, June 10, 2015, 09:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

For every foot of length over 20', I add $.06 per BF to the entire board. If the board/timber is longer than 26', I add an additional charge of $.50 per BF to the entire board.

I have convinced the odd customer that a 30' 8x12 supported on 3 posts might look impressive, but it will 50% more than two 16' timbers spliced. Some folks like the "wow" factor and will pay.

For one or two timbers, I will "cheat", pushing beyond the theoretical limit of my mill. Beyond that, I will crunch the numbers on adding an extension.

When I added my first 6' extension, my overlength charges didn't quite pay for the extension. On the other hand, I would have lost the entire job if I couldn't provide all the timbers. I made $20,000 clear on that job -- less the cost of the extension.

Looking at the individual pieces, it wasn't worth it to buy an extension. Looking at the whole job, it definitely was worth it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

prittgers

The longest beam I have cut on an LT40 is 40 foot with no extension.   Beams - YES!  Boards, with no extension - NO!
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

smokeatrr

Thanks again for all the input. The customer would supply all his own trees, wants to use the lumber for siding.

Thank You Sponsors!