iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought these links might be of interest

Started by Kirk_Allen, April 21, 2004, 01:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Yes, I've seen them before.  Bob puts together some nice posts that he shows on other wood working forums.  He has some well documented stuff on taking care of  hand tools too.   That's good to see another swing mill on the Forestry Forum. Lucas is a good mill but Peterson is paying some of the bills. :)  It makes me appreciate them a bunch.

rebocardo

On that second link, is it me or does it look like the lower cut of the notch tilts back towards the tree the wrong way?

Wouldn't that cause the butt to slide backwards, towards you, if the tree ever got caught?

rebocardo

First link was awesome getting a shot of the hinge just as the tree was falling. Man, I would love to get some good wood like that to saw. Just took down two more sweet gum trees more crooked Boss Hog! Only good for firewood.

Tom

It looks kinda like it but camera angles cause all kinds of optical illusions.  It isn't cut at the same angle as the back-cut and the fiber tear isn't what you would want, but the tree was dropped safely, where he wanted it and I guess that means a lot.  An open notch or one a little larger might have saved the fiber pull.  It looks like that one closed a little earlier than optimum.  Dropping big trees is tough and I guess not all go as perfect as the feller would wish.  

Kevin

Looks ok to me, the stump shows it pretty well.
There's always room for a little error as long as the apex is clean and the felling cut is above the apex.
He's got all the right stuff and is putting it to use.

Stan

Ol' Bob must have a lighning fast connection to the net, I fell asleep waitin' for the first link to load.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!