iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine trouble

Started by 5quarter, November 23, 2011, 10:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

Happy days! I'm up and running! 8) 8) Here is the story for any interested parties.

I called Briggs this morning to get some guidance and a parts breakdown of this engine. it turns out that this motor originally had an integrated fuel pump, or what the parts manual calls a carburater pump. Years before I got this engine, the pump had failed and rather than rebuild it, the owner had bypassed the original pump entirely and installed an external vacuum pump. The briggs tech  said that pump failure was common on this particular motor, but that officially he could only recommend rebuilding the original. So I went out looking for a vacuum pump comparable to to the old one.  Turns out that lots of places can order one, but nobody, and I mean nobody, had one in stock. So I went to the boneyard.

A friend of mines dad own a small engine place. His dad wouldn't let me go through the bulk of the yard, but said I could go through a pile of blown engines by the side of the building. in 5 minutes I had my pump. 5 dollars later, I was on my way back to the mill. got connected and ran it to see if that fixed the trouble. bingo!  It ran smooth under load and at idle, and so I finished cutting the walnut on the bunks and shut it down. restarted easy.  I still have to make a mount for the new pump and recut the new fuel lines, but after worrying for several days that it was something worse, the rest seems like nothing. With some luck, I might be able to finish all the sawing work before the snow flies.

Many thanks to everyone for your excellent advice.

Back to work.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

TimGA

Super ! Glad to hear you are up and running. Thanks for sharing your fix. Sorry to scare you with valve issue, most times turns out to be simpler like you found.  Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Chuck White

Glad to hear you have your problem taken care of Tim.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to cause a string of headaches.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

:)  And we all learned a bit from your experience.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!