iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soft Woods in Iowa

Started by palmerstreeservice, January 30, 2005, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmerstreeservice

I find myself taking down a lot of good soft woods, however around here the mills deal in mainly hard woods.  I feel like I am just throwing them away if I cut them up into firewood, or worse just leave them at the brush dumps. 

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what can be done with these good logs.

inspectorwoody

Bout time ya get over here and do some posting  :D Don't let me catch ya any where else!  ;) Everyone over here will take good ol' care of ya!

Take a look at the Find a Forester - Sawmill link and look at some mills in Iowa...Some of them may take them....Also check out the commerce section...sometimes you might run across someone looking for some softwood logs etc.

Hey...If nothing else we can put our wondering minds together and design some fancy smancy work of "art!"  :D

Gadget

footer

palmerstreeservice,

What kind of trees are you talking, and what sizes and volume are you coming across?

palmerstreeservice

lots of pines and cedars but only in the volume of one here and one there.  Every now and then throught the growing season, we will do jobs that are 8-10 at a time generally good size ones.

but really any softwood we take down we just throw away by making it into firewood. 

palmerstreeservice

I should also add to that we run into a large amount of cottonwood, specifically eastern cottonwood.  Just seems to be a lot of them around and due to the size of them when you take one down you are looking at large amounts of logs

footer

palmerstreeservice,
Do you you have the means to remove the logs and take to your place until you have enough to make it worth picking up? where in Iowa are you at?

palmerstreeservice

I do have the means, and I am in Manchester Iowa which is in NE Iowa,  give me a call if you have further 563-927-4243 or 563-920-4794

footer

I'll call you in the next couple of days. I am getting involved with a fairly new company that is selling post and beam barn kits, and there seems to be quite a bit of intrest in Iowa. I will most likely be going over to Ames to saw the lumber for one barn, and possibly another. The guy wants to use his trees. we might be interested in the logs, but we are over 300 miles from you, and shipping might be an issue. There is a possibility that they will sell some barns closer to your neck of the woods, and maybe we could get the trees from you, and I could saw them there, instead of hauling the logs here. If you are interested, maybe we could get you some advertising literature, and you could kind of spread the word aroud there.   here is a link to there web site. //http://www.sandcreekpostandbeam.com/

Thank You Sponsors!