iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siberian Elm

Started by Trax, February 05, 2009, 11:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trax

I have a chance to get several Siberian elm logs from a local golf course. They were  damaged in our Dec. ice storm. What's it good for, can I frame with it ? how is it to mill ? I need to build a couple sheds and a chicken coupe Any info would be appreciated.

Kelvin

Howdy,
I really like the siberian elm for furniture wood.  If its good clear logs in would be a shame to use on sheds.  If its knotty, then i'd feel free to use for construction.  American elm is a light colored wood, but siberian elm has a reddish brown cast that is really nice and unique.  For as terrible as the trees are, it sure is nice lumber.
Good luck,
KP

Dodgy Loner

I've had trouble drying elm straight.  For furniture wood, it's worth the extra effort to work with something as nice as Siberian elm (Kevin is right about the great color), but I think it would be a pain in the rear to use for framing.  You would probably want to dry it before using it due to its penchant for twisting and warping, and if it's dry, you'll have to pre-drill all the nail holes.  I'll be happy to trade you some nice southern yellow pine logs for your Siberian elm.  Just drop 'em off at my place and we'll have the pine waiting for you ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!