iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab trailer ideas

Started by Quebecnewf, December 14, 2017, 05:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Will have a new atv at the mill in the coming spring. Will use it as usual to haul logs ashore with the skidding arch when we raft logs to the mill.

I am also trying to dream up some type of slab trailer. I am looking for some ideas. My thoughts are while we would pack the slabs on as we are sawing I do not want to unpack the slabs of the trailer once it is full. I am thinking some type of roller bed and once you are loaded you drive to the dump site and hitch a rope around them , drive ahead and they all drop of on the ground.

Any ideas or pic of this type of thing  would be great.

My other idea is to buil long roller table and roll the slabs down near the shoreline far away from the mill shed and burn them every so often. Sorry to  say our slab pile(s) have gotten too large and we will have no choice come next sawing season but to start burning as we saw.

It's too bad to have to burn perfectly good firewood. Can't even give them away.

Quebecnewf

longtime lurker

Google Borealis Wood Power.

Not saying it's the answer but its an answer that has intrigued me for a couple of years now.  I got a whack of links, publications about DIY units, general info etc if you're interested.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

YellowHammer

You may be able to find and modify a used self dumping forklift hopper and put a trailer axle under it and cut the ends out so it would haul longer slabs.  They are pretty commonly used around here for trash disposal and hauling because they are heavy duty and have no maintenance.  Load them up, pull the rope, the mechanism unlatches, gravity takes over and the bin dumps the load.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TKehl

Similar to YH, a basic frame trailer with the deck built at an angle, "bunks" on the low side that would be hinged at the bottom and chained in place at the top.

A quick release mechanism would release the bunks and let the slabs mostly slide down the bed.

This could also be built on top of an existing "deck over" trailer if you have one.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Gearbox

How about stacking so you could pick them up with the log arch . Or at least get a chain or cable around one end . I have seen pictures of your rock [mill ] you won't hurt the grass .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Crusarius

I think you need a side dump flatbed trailer. load them drive it to the pile and dump to the side. at least it will be quick and easy. A lot easier than having to fight with a rope and pulling them out. Trailer probably last quite a bit longer that way to.

You have a mulch market up there? Be nice to chip them.

WV Sawmiller

Do you have a loader or skid steer with forks? If so I'd consider a flatbed trailer and build several, long open ended pallets with 3 sides and just put them on a flatbed trailer or wagon. As they fill up pick up the full load and replace with an empty one and start over. Length of the pallet/box would depend on normal slab length. You might have to just periodically trim off excess lengths with a chainsaw if you cut some unusually long stuff. Depending on your mill layout you might not even need the trailer or wagon. Just a suggestion - free advice is worth what you paid for it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

His landscape looks like the Moon. Lots of rocks and a sawmill shed just appears out of nowhere .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Slingshot

Find you an old farm dump wagon. This was my father-in-law's grain wagon.....

Crusarius

I just did a search for side dump trailers. I had no idea they made side dump semi trailers. That is sweet.

47sawdust

A tipping trailer with a high lift manual jack on the front might work.There are some manufactured dump trailers with a manual hyd.pump on the front that might work,Pronovost,Woody,etc.Check Kijijji,I've seen them come for sale on occasion.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Gearbox on December 14, 2017, 08:14:36 AM
How about stacking so you could pick them up with the log arch . Or at least get a chain or cable around one end . I have seen pictures of your rock [mill ] you won't hurt the grass .
That is how I do it.  Just be careful not to fill the racks too full.  Not related to the topic but my problem is littering the woods with slab piles, which I hate.  The answer to me is to set fire to them. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Sixacresand on December 14, 2017, 11:56:18 AM
That is how I do it.  Just be careful not to fill the racks too full.  Not related to the topic but my problem is littering the woods with slab piles, which I hate.  The answer to me is to set fire to them.

I am thinking I may go this route as well. Park the arch and bike next to the door. Fill the arch full and drive near the shoreline and drop. Every week or so once the pile gets big enough burn .

No choice I guess.

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

Quote from: Quebecnewf on December 15, 2017, 07:41:10 AM
Quote from: Sixacresand on December 14, 2017, 11:56:18 AM

I am thinking I may go this route as well. Park the arch and bike next to the door. Fill the arch full and drive near the shoreline and drop. Every week or so once the pile gets big enough burn .

No choice I guess.

Quebecnewf

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!