iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eclassic vs. classic owb

Started by wheelinguy, April 06, 2012, 08:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

I have a cl6048 and have had no problems withh it in the 8 yrs or so that i have been running it.  I now heat over 5,000 sq ft with it.  We get all of our wood for free, minus our labor, but we go through an incredible amount of it.  I have heard that you can cut your wood consumption in half with the eclassic, has anyone here made the switch, how did it work out?  Three things keep me from making the switch, first is the cost to buy the new boiler, second currently i can burn soft wood (typically free) and green wood, third is i always see questions posted here about problems with eclassics but i rarely if ever see any questions about classics.  I would love to burn half the wood, but then i have to buy it, I know it comes down to what is my time worth when i'm cutting and splitting all the other stuff. And I guess the 4th problem is that since we have a new owb dealer and i have had bad luck with him I just don't want to deal with him!

buckgrunt

I do not have experience with the older Classic, but I currently own a 2300.  I heat a 3000 square ft home and will burn approx 7 cords of wood this year.  1/3 to 1/2 of the wood was hemlock and remainder was oak/maple.   I am sure if it was all hardwood, I would have burned less.  Last year (my first year), I burned 10 cord, but my wood last year was not as dry as it should have been.  I have learned that  combined with regular maintenance and  dry/seasoned wood, it runs efficiently.    I have not had any problems with my 2300. I have seen the older classics and they seem to be rather smokey when in operation.   

sparky1

Im with you wheelinguy. I just purchased my cb6048 last fall. I loved it and its very simple. Low maintance and I can burn the greenest wood i can find. Im not sayin the eclassics arnt good, for me I couldnt justify the extra 3 grand for the unit. If I had to buy wood maybe that would come into play, but I get all mine for free. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer to this debate. As long as your happy with what you have and were not linning the oil companies pockest to heat our houses!!!! 8)
Shaun J

doctorb

I am a 2300 user.  IMO, claims that they use 50% less wood than older type stoves is an over-exaggeration.  Sure they use less wood.  They are more efficient and extract more heat from less.  Maybe if you used all green soft wood in the 6048, and perfectly seasoned hardwood in the eClassic, you could approach 50% less wood in the latter.  I think even CB only claims 30% less wood.

Now, on the other hand, 30% less time and effort to put up fuel is significant, and I appreciate it.   But I don't think that, just by switching stoves, you'll go from 10 cords a year to 5 cords a year.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

boilerman101

I used a CL5648 (basically same size as your CL6048) for 7 heating seasons, like you, burning wood that was just cut the fall before the burning season started. Now burning the E2400 I was able to get my wood pile 1 season ahead and it made a huge difference. I would say my first season using the green wood with the Eclassic, I burned about 1/3 less wood. With the seasoned wood, I would say 50%, so Dr. B is pretty accurate. I'm sure I would have burned considerably less wood in the Classic too, if it was seasoned. (Many BTU's are lost just drying wood out so it can burn rather than putting those BTU's into the water.) Eclassic operation and maintenence is much easier with seasoned wood too. Now that I got my wood pile ahead 1 season, as much as I liked my Classic, I love the wood and "back" time savings of my E2400 and would not go back.

wheelinguy

Boilerman, I just can't seem to get anyone to give me free seasoned hardwood for free! :D  Doctorb if I could get one of those skid steer processors like the one you posted i suppose i could cut my time and effort by way more than 30%!!! :D

doctorb

Wheelinguy-

While you are making your wish list......get someone to stack that free seasoned hardwood, load the stove once or twice a day, maintain it well, and never be seen on your property....for free. :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

albirk

First doc if you find that guy see if he has a brother (haha) second before you buy a e classic treat your classic that way and you will burn 1 to 2 cord less just for the wood being seasond and about 80% less smoke

Thank You Sponsors!