iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to market White Pine???

Started by True North, September 15, 2010, 07:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I have access to really nice quality white pine, and lots of it, but am at a loss for how to market it properly.  I sawed some clear pine last winter, and have not even been able to sell it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get something going with it?

ladylake

Saw it into wider longer 2x , that brings around $650  a thousand at the big stores.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ron Wenrich

We cut very little white pine.  But, on occasion, we get in to some pretty nice stuff.  We take the clears and put them on sticks, unless we can find a wholesale market.  Small woodworkers will come by and we can get rid of most of it, but it takes a long time.  Prices are in the $1-$1.25/bf range for the clears.  We cut it like hardwoods, plump and random width.

I don't know how much you are talking about.  But, a listing in the local newspaper wouldn't hurt.  Chances are, most woodworkers don't know where you're at.  We don't advertise, because we aren't looking for that type of customer. 

Other markets in your area are small wood shops.  They might be worth a call.  I also sold some to some pattern shops.  But, you have to be priced better than sugar pine or mahogany. 

Marketing your product is probably the hardest part of the business.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

I sell pine to local high school shops, they like the nice wide stuff, much better than they usally get.  Some are by bid and some are word of mouth.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

wdncno

I seem to be able to sell all th e white pine I cut and never for less than $1 a board foot.  Let some of the high end home builders in your area know what you have and you will probably have no trouble moving it. Perfectly clear should be worth $1.50 bd.ft. in 8" or wider.

SwampDonkey

Around here your competing against a company that supplies the big box stores and owns one of the chains. Usually most gets portable milled for the woodlot owner who has a use for it. Our pine in my area is too sparse for the commercial saw mills. Other areas of the province are more pine country. Even where I cut brush, all them loan pines are left to stand because the mill that has the license for the wood harvests is only interested in spruce and fir, the hardwood they sell to pulp mills here and into the state of Maine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tim

Quote from: wdncno on September 23, 2010, 08:41:48 AM
I seem to be able to sell all th e white pine I cut and never for less than $1 a board foot.  Let some of the high end home builders in your area know what you have and you will probably have no trouble moving it. Perfectly clear should be worth $1.50 bd.ft. in 8" or wider.

These builders are going to want a consistent product in quality and quantity. Make certain that you are kiln drying your pine and setting the pitch or it will 'bleed pitch' through the finish.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Schuggar

We might be looking for about 400 to 500 linear feet of white pine beams.  5.50" x 8.50" x 8 to 12'.  We are in Michigan.  Anyone have any ideas where we can find these?  We have looked online and check all sorts of places with no luck!  help?  Thanks everyone.

uncle kenn

I don't have white pine but i can cut all the red pine beams that size that you want

carykong

Traditional timber frame companies like white pine. Its relatively light and easy to work with hand tools

Thank You Sponsors!